Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Opinions - New LR AWD vs. Demo M3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a good idea for any prospective buyer to check, is what I am saying. There is NOTHNG at all stopping tesla from taking returned vehicles (that were titled) and then making them demos. There have been people here who bought model 3s with some discount, then were "surprised" when they no longer qualified for whatever new incentive they thought they would get.

Asking them to check the paperwork, it was titled as "used", and they were like "but they told me it was a demo".

Im not saying demos arent new cars, I am saying they dont HAVE to be new, and if this is something a person cares about they need to CHECK it, and not assume.
It certainly never hurts to check things out but any previously titled car that has been returned would be classified and sold as used either by Tesla or when sent to auction. Tesla’s “demo” cars are part of their untitled new inventory with full (at least as far as duration) limited and battery/drive unit warranties. The warranty on a previously titled car would already have started plus it would now have to be registered/title as used and would not qualify for new EV incentives (vary by state).

Some states do have rules regarding mileage limits on what can be titled as new but that's a different matter. If Tesla is selling previously titled cars as new, that is a serious legal issue. I had not heard/read anything like that before. The closest I've seen was people custom ordering new cars and being sold what turned out to be a low mileage "demo" or "display" car that matched their order but the car was at least still new/untitled. Perhaps you could share links to posts about people being sold previously titled cars as new. I'd be curious to read them.

It certainly never hurts to check things out but any previously titled car that has been returned would be classified and sold as used either by Tesla or when sent to auction. Tesla’s “demo” cars are part of their untitled new inventory with full (at least as far as duration) limited and battery/drive unit warranties. The warranty on a previously titled car would already have started plus it would now have to be registered/title as used and would not qualify for new EV incentives (vary by state).

Some states do have rules regarding mileage limits on what can be titled as new but that's a different matter. If Tesla is selling previously titled cars as new, that is a serious legal issue. I had not heard/read anything like that before. The closest I've seen was people custom ordering new cars and being sold what turned out to be a low mileage "demo" or "display" car that matched their order but the car was at least still new/untitled. Perhaps you could share links to posts about people being sold previously titled cars as new. I'd be curious to read them.

I didnt say they were selling previously titled cars as new. I said that people were buying cars they thought were demo cars and when they arrived found out that the car was being sold to them as used.

As in "the sales person told them it was a demo car" according to the person, then when they went to get state incentives, were told the car didnt qualify, then when they checked the paperwork, it was a used car on the paperwork.

These are people who were dealing with a tesla rep, not just clicking a button on teslas website. Its likely that anything in teslas 'new" bucket on their website is being titled as new. I am not sure I understand the discussion we are having here though, as I simply said " dont assume that someone in tesla telling you a car is a demo car means the car will actually be titled as new. be sure to ask".

I could try to find the posts I read here about the above, but they were during 2019 sometime if I remember. In any case, it boils down to "verify something like this before you just assume". I doubt you are advocating for someone to simply trust what a salesperson tells them, tesla or no, on something like this so we are likely saying the same thing.

Last edited:
One of the biggest differences is the wheels, mostly on ride comfort. If you value a more comfortable ride go for the LR, you can also get the acceleration boost bringing your 0-60 (with rollout) down to 3.5 secs. Trust me, the LR with AB is already fast as hell and capable of smoking most cars.
Also the M3P comes with summer tires, I saw you live in LA so may not be an issue, but if you plan to drive it somewhere with real winter weather you will need to buy new wheels and tires.
If you really do want the performance above all else and will always regret it, maybe the M3P is the way to go.

I guess to put it in perspective, its about 2 car lengths. I've seen enough videos between the LR AWD with boost and the Performance to see thats pretty consistent. I guess its the difference between beating that AMG or annihilating it to 60 :D

The only other thing you may be interested in is Track Mode. You just can't track the LR AWD as well due to how the car handles heat. Also, the nannies can't be defeated on the LR AWD like you can on the Performance in Track Mode. Something to consider.

As has been noted, there are tradeoffs between the two cars and different people have different priorities, so it's hard to say which one is best for OP. For what it's worth, I traded a "regular" Model 3 for a Model 3 Performance and am much happier with the car; but then I was coming from something quicker (a Model S Performance). Someone coming from a slower car may be perfectly happy with an LR AWD, especially with the Performance Boost available.

As for resale, a 2021 with fewer miles and a few new goodies will always bring more money than an identical 2020 missing a couple of features...but, especially as time goes on, that amount will be small. And these are not identical cars...I would think the extra resale value of the Performance option would generally be greater than that of the newer LR AWD. But not by enough to really make a big difference in the decision.

I once leased a year-old ("new" demo) Model S Performance with 14k miles. Other than paint chips on the hood, it looked and drove new and had no issues in the time I had it (although obviously not everyone has the same experience). Someone pointed out that a demo car may have been launched hard hundreds of times...which is true, but it's also true of any Performance Tesla I have owned once I put a couple thousand miles on it. Long-term I don't think that's a big issue either.

The wheels and tires might make a difference...the Performance+ comes with heavy 20" wheels and summer tires. Although they are REALLY good tires, and OP is in LA so that might be OK. For me in the PNW, the first thing I'd do is get rid of the 20" wheels/tires, which is kind of a pain.

In any event...I think OP will end up with a great car no matter which way they go.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
As has been noted, there are tradeoffs between the two cars and different people have different priorities, so it's hard to say which one is best for OP. For what it's worth, I traded a "regular" Model 3 for a Model 3 Performance and am much happier with the car; but then I was coming from something quicker (a Model S Performance). Someone coming from a slower car may be perfectly happy with an LR AWD, especially with the Performance Boost available.

As for resale, a 2021 with fewer miles and a few new goodies will always bring more money than an identical 2020 missing a couple of features...but, especially as time goes on, that amount will be small. And these are not identical cars...I would think the extra resale value of the Performance option would generally be greater than that of the newer LR AWD. But not by enough to really make a big difference in the decision.

I once leased a year-old ("new" demo) Model S Performance with 14k miles. Other than paint chips on the hood, it looked and drove new and had no issues in the time I had it (although obviously not everyone has the same experience). Someone pointed out that a demo car may have been launched hard hundreds of times...which is true, but it's also true of any Performance Tesla I have owned once I put a couple thousand miles on it. Long-term I don't think that's a big issue either.

The wheels and tires might make a difference...the Performance+ comes with heavy 20" wheels and summer tires. Although they are REALLY good tires, and OP is in LA so that might be OK. For me in the PNW, the first thing I'd do is get rid of the 20" wheels/tires, which is kind of a pain.

In any event...I think OP will end up with a great car no matter which way they go.

I did not have time to wait for a new order as my other car was sold and gone. I heard about the tesla inventory while researching the car. I ended up with a 2020 LRAWD With FSD and AB. It had 2000 miles and was in perfect condition. Picked it up at the Tampa location took 30 min including financing. The car has every option, wheels, red paint, white interior, FSD and AB. Would have been $64.500 new. 2000 miles paid $52,750. For that discount I think the demo was a great value.

I originally went to Tesla to test drive an SR+ model, but apparently that was unavailable so they gave me an M3P to test drive and told me to just keep it in "chill" mode to mimic the SR+. Well of course I wanted to see what the M3P was all about and made the mistake of flipping it off. It was transformative to say the least. Unfortunately I have not driven the LR AWD example so I'm hoping to get more opinions on the comparison between the two. Thanks for all of input so far!

• Funny
Reactions: valaeyron
Much thanks for the info. I assumed that since the demo cars are listed under "new" inventory that that would indicate the car had never been titled. But sounds like that may not always be the case and I should double check for sure.

Anyone with experience purchasing from "demo" inventory have any insight on the general condition of the cars? The discount brings the 2020 M3P+ to $49k vs. $48k for the 2021 LR AWD

I just traded my 2019 LR RWD for an inventory 2019 LR AWD with less than 50 miles this past september. There were no actual photos in the inventory listing, so I took my sales rep's recommendation and pounced on it because he said it would have sold quick given that it was listed for $39.5k (while my car was valued at $34-36k at the time). This sales rep is highly reputable in our local tesla facebook group as he's helped hundreds of us purchase cars, used and new alike, so I definitely trusted him.

Upon receiving it and seeing it for the first time in person, there were a number of cosmetic issues that eventually got resolved. The main ones worth mentioning include a big scratch and dent on the front fascia, which also had mounting holes for a euro license plate. There was also a big scratch on the rear fascia. Then, inside, the sun visors for both driver and passenger side were missing the latches.

I was about to walk away and refuse delivery, but my sales rep assured me he would get these taken care of...which they all eventually resolved, albeit at the expense of having to drive to the service center twice in the subsequent month, which is about 30 minutes away. However, the second time around, I was given a loaner S 75D, which was fun to have for a weekend.

The front and rear fascia was replaced with brand new ones from factory and newly painted. Would I do it again given what I experienced? Yes. It's definitely worth it. Would I do it again knowing that the new 2021 models were being rolled out a couple months thereafter? That's a little tougher to answer.

I hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Pemple
I would go for the performance without thinking about it.

The differences between 2020 and 2021 are not significant enough to warrant giving up a Performance that is priced almost on top of LRAWD.

The larger battery is not even 10%. Too small to matter. Laminated windows, heat pump are a personal preference on whether they are a deal breaker.

However, all these little details pail in comparison to stepping on the accelerator and getting mooshed into the seat... go for the performance and don't look back, you won't regret it.

As long as it has never been titled and there are no mileage restrictions in your state, nobody will ever know you bought a demo unit vs new. It's not like the scarlet letter, they don't mark em... you are getting performance ride at LR price, my vote is go for it!

Good luck on whatever you decide and enjoy your car.

Reactions: valaeyron
It would be a good idea for any prospective buyer to check, is what I am saying. There is NOTHNG at all stopping tesla from taking returned vehicles (that were titled) and then making them demos. There have been people here who bought model 3s with some discount, then were "surprised" when they no longer qualified for whatever new incentive they thought they would get.

Asking them to check the paperwork, it was titled as "used", and they were like "but they told me it was a demo".

Im not saying demos arent new cars, I am saying they dont HAVE to be new, and if this is something a person cares about they need to CHECK it, and not assume.

That would be me :(

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If Tesla is actively listing or selling previously titled cars as new, that would be a serious legal issue. I kind of doubt it’s happening but if someone has examples, it would be interesting to read. I'm not talking about a Tesla rep calling a car a “demo” (unless they actually called it a new or untitled demo), misunderstandings, etc.

Timely post. Last week I was at the Palm springs store getting some juice and looking around. Chatted with a guy with just what you ordered, albeit a 2020. He'd needed tires from embarrassing a Hellcat, among others. He was offered a test drive in a new M3P and asked if I'd like to go along - oh yeah!

He said he'd resisted the urge to push the $2K upgrade and now he's driven both - happy with his dual motor. Bottom line - stay with your order, you'll be happy, have a new car with newer stuff. And if you can't stand it - push the $2K button. :)

Other companies sometimes do this - not sure if Tesla does, but when looking at a demo you’ll want to see if they already started the clock on the warranty. Don’t want to buy it and be surprised to find out that it only has a 3-3.5 yr warranty instead of 4 yrs. I think this is something dealers do, so maybe not a Tesla issue since they don’t have dealers.

For me, the decision to go with the Performance came down to 2 things. 1) the ride is more firm, which I prefer. Not sure if this is due to lower profile tires or a firmer suspension set up since the Performance car is a little lower or both. And 2) sport mode - I felt chill and standard were too mild for my tastes and I only saw this option in the P car I had test driven. The bigger brakes are also nice to have, but I didn’t notice any difference during my test drive.