TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Self Park Question

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by KArnold, Jun 25, 2017.

1. KArnold

KArnold Member

Don't have the car yet. On Self Park, the operating manual has a TON of detail - :eek:

Is this only on the right side of the vehicle? My work parking area has perpendicular spots on both sides.

Thank you.

2. S85D

S85D Member

I do not have any documentation to support my feelings but I would say "yes, both perpendicular and parallel parking requires the parking spot be on the right side of the car". If the car had a right hand drive car (UK), I would expect that all parking spots have to be on the left side of the car.

• Helpful x 1
  3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

In the USA it appears to work on either side of the car. I use it on private property on the left side.

4. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

For me, it works on both sides of the car. But it needs two cars with the right distance between them to activate, and at the moment it's not a guaranteed thing it will work every time.

5. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

not sure if previous two posters directly above are talking specifically only about auto-perpendicular park working on both sides (the OP's specific question), but...

the bold portion of the statement above is false. I can confirm from first-hand experience that auto parallel park WILL work also on the left side of the car, as well as the right. I have not tried auto-perpendicular park on the left side so I can't say about that.

6. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

Sorry about that, didn't see it was perpendicular park specifically.

No, my car doesn't do that at all at the moment. I think only the newest firmware supports this on AP2, and I haven't heard very comforting things about it in it's current state. However I'm pretty sure it's the same requirements as on parallel parking.

For me that's ok, I don't plan on using it. As long as it can do parallel and summon, I will be perfectly fine.

7. S85D

S85D Member

Thanks for the information that it works on both sides of the car. I definitely agree that it does not work everytime. For those that have not tried perpendicular parking, be prepared for the car to back into the parking spot a lot faster than you would do it.

• Informative x 1