Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Park Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH
Don't have the car yet. On Self Park, the operating manual has a TON of detail - :eek:

AUTOPARK
When traveling below 15mph, a grey P will appear on the instrument cluster when your Model S detects a parking spot next to you. Put the vehicle into reverse and “Autopark Ready” will appear on the touchscreen. Once activated, your Model S will begin to park itself by controlling steering and vehicle speed.

Is this only on the right side of the vehicle? My work parking area has perpendicular spots on both sides.

Thank you.

Don't have the car yet. On Self Park, the operating manual has a TON of detail - :eek:

Is this only on the right side of the vehicle? My work parking area has perpendicular spots on both sides.

Thank you.

I do not have any documentation to support my feelings but I would say "yes, both perpendicular and parallel parking requires the parking spot be on the right side of the car". If the car had a right hand drive car (UK), I would expect that all parking spots have to be on the left side of the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: st50maint
I do not have any documentation to support my feelings but I would say "yes, both perpendicular and parallel parking requires the parking spot be on the right side of the car". If the car had a right hand drive car (UK), I would expect that all parking spots have to be on the left side of the car.

not sure if previous two posters directly above are talking specifically only about auto-perpendicular park working on both sides (the OP's specific question), but...

the bold portion of the statement above is false. I can confirm from first-hand experience that auto parallel park WILL work also on the left side of the car, as well as the right. I have not tried auto-perpendicular park on the left side so I can't say about that.

not sure if previous two posters directly above are talking specifically only about auto-perpendicular park working on both sides (the OP's specific question)

Sorry about that, didn't see it was perpendicular park specifically.

No, my car doesn't do that at all at the moment. I think only the newest firmware supports this on AP2, and I haven't heard very comforting things about it in it's current state. However I'm pretty sure it's the same requirements as on parallel parking.

For me that's ok, I don't plan on using it. As long as it can do parallel and summon, I will be perfectly fine.

For me, it works on both sides of the car. But it needs two cars with the right distance between them to activate, and at the moment it's not a guaranteed thing it will work every time.

Thanks for the information that it works on both sides of the car. I definitely agree that it does not work everytime. For those that have not tried perpendicular parking, be prepared for the car to back into the parking spot a lot faster than you would do it.

• Informative
Reactions: KArnold