Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self presenting doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, no thanks on those.

I prefer to minimize the risk of owning it when the warranty ends. Self presenting handles are cool (no argument there) but they appear to be one on f the few weak links on the cars.

I even avoid charging every day to reduce cycles on the charge port door. Since I don’t need to charge daily I figure it may extend the life of the part.

Reactions: spectrum
Automatically opening doors are not really needed. Automatically closing doors are must have feature after using model X for some years.
Yeah. Auto opening is an annoyance much of the time. Half the time it only opens enough to stick the corner of the glass right in my approaching face.

Auto closing, though, is nearly perfect and I miss it on every other car I drive.

Reactions: israndy and Näky

I even avoid charging every day to reduce cycles on the charge port door. Since I don’t need to charge daily I figure it may extend the life of the part.

If anything I'd not charge because every battery cycle degrades them. The battery hatch hinge or lock is way less expensive in comparison. The longest lasting battery is the one you don't use much. :)

If we have truly reached the point where closing ones own car door is a horrible inconvenience we are that much closer to riding around on hover chairs while robots feed us meals in a cup... I really hope the do not have stupid automatic doors or electric handles on a truck. Personally it will make me less likely to buy one.

I mean, we are having our cars drive for us....

Those that do not have them don't understand what a luxury they are.

Simply press a tab and the door swings open for you to enter. Great if you have a coffee in your hand.
Then you simply step on your brake and the door swings closed and softly latches, while the car wakes up.

It is a joy to be able to press a button to let your passenger get in, and another press to close the door for them. Little bit of theater and drama.

Only other car I had this feature on was a Rolls Royce Phantom. Luxury for sure.

Nothing essential, but kind of a "lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" type of thing.

Those that do not have them don't understand what a luxury they are.

Simply press a tab and the door swings open for you to enter. Great if you have a coffee in your hand.
Then you simply step on your brake and the door swings closed and softly latches, while the car wakes up.

It is a joy to be able to press a button to let your passenger get in, and another press to close the door for them. Little bit of theater and drama.

Only other car I had this feature on was a Rolls Royce Phantom. Luxury for sure.

Nothing essential, but kind of a "lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" type of thing.
My sister in laws sienna mini van has it as well. Ok on a Toyota or Tesla mini van or on a Rolls, not ok on a truck.

lol delivery vans have had electric sliding doors for ages. On the subject of the CT doors I hope they don't make the doors too long, as with the extra width they're going to be difficult to open in parking spots. Forward and rearward sliding doors would fix that...but that ain't going to happen.

As for self driving and automatic opening doors I say bring it on. Provided they retain tons of door storage options. Actuating a normal hinged door is pretty trivial, heaps of cars already have electric hatches. Patching the actuation, with a load sensor for protection, into the processing that also has access to the body sensors and cameras to activate as someone approaches is also nothing special. Just don't make the falcon doors and it's fine. They;re far to complicated for what it does.

I mean, we are having our cars drive for us....
I also didn’t buy any of the auto pilot options on our S or 3 and won’t on the truck if I get one.
I’ll elaborate. If I lived in a large city without a meaningful winter that had t major traffic issues like LA, Honolulu, or DC I would have AP. I pray I never live in an area like that. As for Alaska at least half the year none of the AP systems work on winter roads since the car (and the human for that matter) can’t see the lines. Then for the 4-5 months of summer lines on the road are optional at best. Also traffic is pretty much non existent anywhere up here other than the dimond corridor PFD season (Oct) through early Jan and Palmer during the state fair. In summary Our roads are under snow/ice all winter and under construction all summer and we don’t have traffic.

It would be nice to have the self presenting doors such as that on my X, but I'd definitely like to keep the press-in handles that the X has. Nothing mechanical to break and it won't feel as if I'm going to snap the lever eventually like the 3.