Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling a Tesla on eBay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
As someone who opted to maximize income from private sale of his 2017 Long range S, vs trade in or carvana or zoom offer, couple things from experience that may help others:

- The KBB.com value calculator seemed to be pretty accurate as it relates to "private party sale" range estimate in regards to current market for model S's.
- Craigslist is only $5.00 per ad, and still gets a lot of good attention from potential buyers. I tend to do multiple CL's across the nearest larger cities to get max coverage. I've sold a couple of cars successfully just using CL over the years, including just a few months ago.
-Autotrader is reasonably priced as is Ebay. No final value fee from ebay, just a flat $55 listing fee through September. Ebay gets you LOTS of views/attention. As does AutoTrader. You want as much coverage via advertising as you can get. Other benefit of autotrader is that aggregators like Autotempest pick up whats on AutoTrader.
-If you want to get max $, imperative to take LOTS of good pics of the car fully cleaned/vacummed, and empty of personal items/belongings. I tend to take at least 60-70 high quality photos of EVERYTHING and store them in a google photo album and provide the link to serious inquiries.
-If your home/driveway isn't the best backdrop, consider going somewhere else that has great scenery and good backdrop, to take your photos. I cant stress enough the value of great photos to market your product.
-Patience. It's not excessively difficult to weed out tire kickers via email/text. Also, appears that when people see a thoroughly written ad with tons of pics? They see that you are not an easy scam mark. Also, to get the max price, expect it to take a week or two or longer on average even in this current hot market.
-Set your price realistically, then lower by a few hundred once per week if you feel your price may be high for the market.

In the end, I sold in less than two weeks via the ebay ad for a price that was thousands more than the best carmax/carvana/vroom/dealership offer (I really dont think they factor in FSD value..but when selling privately? FSD absolutely has market value)and extremely close to my initial asking price. And the sale was easy. Out of towner who called me, we discussed details, I answered all questions, provided any/all pics that he requested. Wire transfer for full amount came in less than 24hours. Buyer handling all transport costs. I also had a local person who reached out to me after seeing the CL ad but after I had committed (verbally) to the out of town offer. The local offer was going to be at 100% full price sight unseen next day. But, 1)I dont do business that way/I honor my commitments 2)My 20+year ebay rep is 100% perfect, and I think that also may have been a factor in my sale 3)Bird in the hand, as they say...

Good luck to all that are selling their used Tesla's to move up to the refresh models. A little effort and patience in this market? Can mean thousands more dollars in your pocket.

As someone who opted to maximize income from private sale of his 2017 Long range S, vs trade in or carvana or zoom offer, couple things from experience that may help others:

- The KBB.com value calculator seemed to be pretty accurate as it relates to "private party sale" range estimate in regards to current market for model S's.
- Craigslist is only $5.00 per ad, and still gets a lot of good attention from potential buyers. I tend to do multiple CL's across the nearest larger cities to get max coverage. I've sold a couple of cars successfully just using CL over the years, including just a few months ago.
-Autotrader is reasonably priced as is Ebay. No final value fee from ebay, just a flat $55 listing fee through September. Ebay gets you LOTS of views/attention. As does AutoTrader. You want as much coverage via advertising as you can get. Other benefit of autotrader is that aggregators like Autotempest pick up whats on AutoTrader.
-If you want to get max $, imperative to take LOTS of good pics of the car fully cleaned/vacummed, and empty of personal items/belongings. I tend to take at least 60-70 high quality photos of EVERYTHING and store them in a google photo album and provide the link to serious inquiries.
-If your home/driveway isn't the best backdrop, consider going somewhere else that has great scenery and good backdrop, to take your photos. I cant stress enough the value of great photos to market your product.
-Patience. It's not excessively difficult to weed out tire kickers via email/text. Also, appears that when people see a thoroughly written ad with tons of pics? They see that you are not an easy scam mark. Also, to get the max price, expect it to take a week or two or longer on average even in this current hot market.
-Set your price realistically, then lower by a few hundred once per week if you feel your price may be high for the market.

In the end, I sold in less than two weeks via the ebay ad for a price that was thousands more than the best carmax/carvana/vroom/dealership offer (I really dont think they factor in FSD value..but when selling privately? FSD absolutely has market value)and extremely close to my initial asking price. And the sale was easy. Out of towner who called me, we discussed details, I answered all questions, provided any/all pics that he requested. Wire transfer for full amount came in less than 24hours. Buyer handling all transport costs. I also had a local person who reached out to me after seeing the CL ad but after I had committed (verbally) to the out of town offer. The local offer was going to be at 100% full price sight unseen next day. But, 1)I dont do business that way/I honor my commitments 2)My 20+year ebay rep is 100% perfect, and I think that also may have been a factor in my sale 3)Bird in the hand, as they say...

Good luck to all that are selling their used Tesla's to move up to the refresh models. A little effort and patience in this market? Can mean thousands more dollars in your pocket.
Curious what did you get for your 2017 LR S? If you don't mind me asking.

Where did you list your Y? Im looking to unload my 3, but havent put much into doing so. Thought Id ask where as same day selling is amazing! LOL
I listed it on Craigslist first. Before I could finish putting ads up on eBay and cargurus, I had a buyer.

Which means I probably wasn’t asking enough but I was comfortable with the price and the transaction was incredibly easy. No tire-kicking. I also got more than $15K over what Tesla and Carmax offered.

Not trying to high jack the thread, but after a few success sale posts here, Im going to try my hand at selling it on eBay Im thinking. Ive never sold a vehicle on eBay, but I was a Powerseller from 2005-2009 so Im familiar with selling on the platform. Questions. How do the fees work for vehicles? Best practices when selling on eBay Motors? How far in advance should I post the vehicle? Lastly, what's a fair price to start at for my 2021 Model 3 LR? I was thinking 53K. I see some with tons of miles and a few years older for 55ish though, so Im lost...

Check out pics and such in the TMC sales forum.

Thought Id see if Id get a bite and thanks for the feedback everyone. This would help with that S down payment! HA!

Not trying to high jack the thread, but after a few success sale posts here, Im going to try my hand at selling it on eBay Im thinking. Ive never sold a vehicle on eBay, but I was a Powerseller from 2005-2009 so Im familiar with selling on the platform. Questions. How do the fees work for vehicles? Best practices when selling on eBay Motors? How far in advance should I post the vehicle? Lastly, what's a fair price to start at for my 2021 Model 3 LR? I was thinking 53K. I see some with tons of miles and a few years older for 55ish though, so Im lost...

Thought Id see if Id get a bite and thanks for the feedback everyone. This would help with that S down payment! HA!
Listing fee is $100 on eBay. I think that is it. It’s not like other items where they take a % of the sale.

Reactions: JaeTheDev

My plan all along was to put my current vehicle on a lease swap site and hope that someone would simply take over the few remaining months of the lease. It should be attractive to someone since due to COVID, I haven't driven it much so the lease still has 28,000 miles left on it so someone could potentially drive it over 5,000 miles a month for the duration of the lease.

After reading this, however, I went out to KBB.com and their instant cash offer on the car is more than $2,000.00 more than my remaining lease payments plus my buy-out amount at the end of the lease. Private party sale is + $15K! I'm doubting that'll change much in the next month or so so I'm reconsidering how to dispose of it as I could actually make a little money out of the deal.

Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: 2101Guy and Drew-MS

Listing fee is $100 on eBay. I think that is it. It’s not like other items where they take a % of the sale.
No, it's definitely more than $100. Ebay Motors "Ebay" has changed their fee structure numerous times in the past couple years. I've been using Ebay for many years and I sold 2 vehicles on Ebay between 2007-2015.
About 4 months ago when I was selling my P100D, I considered Ebay but I didn't like their new fee structure. I sold it here on TMC instead which worked out well. I would definitely check Ebay's current fee structure and read the fine print. IMO if you want a quick easy and hassle free sale, go to Carmax or Carvana and be done with it.

No, it's definitely more than $100. Ebay Motors "Ebay" has changed their fee structure numerous times in the past couple years. I've been using Ebay for many years and I sold 2 vehicles on Ebay between 2007-2015.
About 4 months ago when I was selling my P100D, I considered Ebay but I didn't like their new fee structure. I sold it here on TMC instead which worked out well. I would definitely check Ebay's current fee structure and read the fine print. IMO if you want a quick easy and hassle free sale, go to Carmax or Carvana and be done with it.
It’s $55 to list and $60 for a final sale over $5,000.

So, okay. Slightly more than $100 but not by much.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew-MS
Ebay has three price points for a sale listing for cars for a private seller (Vs a business selling). The one I selected was 18 photos for $55 flat fee. No commission. No additional fees. I think that was for a 7 day ad.

There is one for less cost and fewer photos and less time. There is one for around $100 for 30 days and more photos. But no, for cars for the listing for a sale? no commission. I cant speak for if you select "auction" option. I simply selected the "BUY NOW" (which automatically includes the option to get lower offers privately submitted to you)

Last edited:
It’s $55 to list and $60 for a final sale over $5,000.

So, okay. Slightly more than $100 but not by much.
Not correct. No final sale charges.

Package options for low-volume sellers​

Package type and price​
Package features​
Basic package: $25Auction or fixed price format includes:
  • 12 photos
  • Auction/duration up to 7 days
  • AutoCheck (Cars & Trucks listings only)
Plus package: $55Auction format includes:
  • 18 photos
  • Auction up to 7 days
  • Reserve price up to $20,000 (Cars & Trucks, Other Vehicles & Trailers, and Boats listings)
  • Reserve price up to $10,000 (Motorcycles and Powersports listings)
Fixed price format includes:
  • 18 photos
  • Duration up to 30 days

I'm 98% sure there are other fees if you sell it on Ebay.
Wasnt my experience. I know, suprised me too. I even CALLED ebay to inquire about what my total cost would be. For my case, $55.

However, starting sometime in September, there will be some sort of % additional charge if they handle a deposit. All listed on their website/in the link I posted above

Reactions: bhakan and Drew-MS
Not correct. No final sale charges.

Package options for low-volume sellers​

Package type and price​
Package features​
Basic package: $25Auction or fixed price format includes:
  • 12 photos
  • Auction/duration up to 7 days
Plus package: $55Auction format includes:
  • 18 photos
  • Auction up to 7 days
  • Reserve price up to $20,000 (Cars & Trucks, Other Vehicles & Trailers, and Boats listings)
  • Reserve price up to $10,000 (Motorcycles and Powersports listings)
Fixed price format includes:
  • 18 photos
  • Duration up to 30 days
Keep reading. High volume sellers are charged a successful sales fee. It obviously will not apply to casual users.

High volume is defined as listing more than 6 vehicles in a calendar year.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Keep reading. High volume sellers are charged a successful sales fee. It obviously will not apply to casual users.

High volume is defined as listing more than 6 vehicles in a calendar year.
Apologies. You are correct. I fall under the "casual user/seller" category as I def dont sell more than one car per year, hence only the $55 charge for my situation. Everyones situation may be different, agreed

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We've sold multiple Teslas on eBay over the past 2 years. Back in 2019, I believe we paid a fixed $150. The buyer backed out but someone else ended up buying the car and eBay refunded the $150.

Last month, we sold a M3P and paid a flat $55 for a 30 day listing. There were no other eBay fees and no Paypal fees since the buyer's deposit was sent using ACH via eBay.

Reactions: bhakan
We've sold multiple Teslas on eBay over the past 2 years. Back in 2019, I believe we paid a fixed $150. The buyer backed out but someone else ended up buying the car and eBay refunded the $150.

Last month, we sold a M3P and paid a flat $55 for a 30 day listing. There were no other eBay fees and no Paypal fees since the buyer's deposit was sent using ACH via eBay.
I am planning to trade-in my 2018 S100D with Tesla when I take delivery of my MSLR. Now that I am reading about these options I am pondering about selling thro private parties. If I have "free unlimited supercharging" under my Tesla account is that limited to my ownership or is it transferable to the potential buyer? TIA.

I am planning to trade-in my 2018 S100D with Tesla when I take delivery of my MSLR. Now that I am reading about these options I am pondering about selling thro private parties. If I have "free unlimited supercharging" under my Tesla account is that limited to my ownership or is it transferable to the potential buyer? TIA.
The free Supercharging on a 2018 won't transfer to a new owner.

Reactions: bhakan