Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looking ahead into the next 2 weeks, ignoring earnings
1705600849233.png

EV stocks down the shitter again, I think this has been the cases every time Tesla has dumped, so I'm not certain is TSLA specific, rather a general loss of faith in the sector - after all, most companies are failing badly at BEV, except Tesla and BYD, but who cares about specifics, eh?

View attachment 1010117
I sold NIO I had for a few years when it touched 9.50 couple of weeks back. Looks like I can buy XPENG and even RIVN for the same price soon ;)

Reactions: Jim Holder
This price action is very anomalous. Not because Tesla hasn't dropped into earnings on a beat before - it has - but because it has not dropped like this going into earnings on a P&D beat against a backdrop of green macros in the past five years. To put this current ~16% drop (from the opening price of $250.08 on 1/2/24 to the current price of $210) into perspective:

In Q3'23, when Tesla delivered 435k vehicles against expectations of 455k vehicles (source), TSLA closed the day before the P&D report at $250.22, and closed at $242.08 the day of earnings. Price action between P&D and earnings on a large miss: -3.3%.

In Q4'22, Tesla reported 405k deliveries against expectations of 427k (source). TSLA closed the day before the P&D report at $123.18, and closed the day of earnings at $144.43. Price action on a large miss: +17.2%.

In Q3'22, Tesla reported 343k deliveries against expectations of 365k (source). TSLA opened the day before the P&D report at $265.25, and closed the day of earnings at $222.04. Price action on a large miss: -16.3%.

In Q2'22, Tesla reported 250k deliveries against expectations of "250k-270k" (source). TSLA closed the day before the P&D report at $227.26, and closed on the day of earnings at $247.50. Price action on a slight miss: +8.9%.

In Q1'22, Tesla reported 310k deliveries against expectations of 317k (source). TSLA closed the day before the P&D report at $361.53 and closed the day of earnings at $325.73. Price action on a slight miss: -10.0%.

In Q4'21, between day before P&D and earnings: -11.3% on a HUGE beat (308k deliveries against expectations of 267k). (This is when the market crashed hard on the FOMC minutes / inflation / impending rate increases.)

In Q1'19, between just before P&D and earnings: -11.4% (19.45 close day before P&D to 17.24 close day of earnings) on a large miss (63k deliveries against expectations of 76k). This was one of TSLA's worst quarters that I can remember, with huge short interest.

What do you make of this?

Reactions: UncaNed
There’s not a lot of interesting premium that high up, ~ $230-$235 seems to be a sweet spot, but if you went out to Mar 24, $250 is a bit richer. But, these premiums are decaying literally by the minute..

But ask yourself TODAY, where we are flirting with $200’ish, would you be okay getting $256 for sure in two months? What is more scary, $175 in two months or $275 in two months? I doubt it’s going to somehow get to $300.
What if TSLA earnings are a beat with a better GM than expected ? Tesla has a lot of stuff they can play around with in earnings (thats why I quit forecasting sometime back).

What if Enterprise says they will buy 1,000 Teslas - even that might push the stock up 20% ;)

For the doubters, Cary did say below

What do you make of this?

More analysis could help put this into perspective: what were macros doing at the time? What was TSLA doing in the run up to P&D? Perhaps most importantly, what were expectations with respect to future company financials and growth outside of the volume reporting?

TSLA's current TTM EPS is $3.1, and PE ratio of 67.

If TSLA prints a $0.6 EPS this quarter (up from $0.53 in Q3), the TTM EPS will still go down because Q4 2022 was $1.07.

The new TTM after earnings update would be $2.63, and at current share price a PE ratio of 79.5. That's a pretty high PE ratio for a company with short term flat earnings growth.

In fact, can you find other profitable companies w/ stable growth that show such a high PE ratio? Usually you see it when a company had a big one-time loss in a quarter (like writing down some sunk investment).

Tesla certainly might be able to sustain such a high growth valuation, but let's not pretend it's normal.

All that is just to say, why can't the price go lower short term? If the share price was $180, that will still be a TTM PE ratio of 68. $150? PE ratio of 57. Those... aren't absurd valuations on the surface.

Obviously, what matters most is the markets expectations for earnings over the next year or two. This is why clarity on what revenues Tesla is going to make from Energy, Cybertruck, etc... are going to be by the end of the year is really important. And what costs are going to drag margins from - for example - the terrible progress in 4680 DBE scaling.

This is what we need to learn on the earnings call. Not FSD, Dojo, Optimus. Those are great long term but mean nothing for earnings growth later this year and in 2025.

Decisions Decisions.......Max Pain is now at 210 and looking at the volume chart, seems a close between 210 and 212 is where thing will end up on Friday end of trading.

But then the play for next week is tough. Do we rally from Mon-Thurs heading into a earnings report only to crash back down again?

Or do we flash crash down Mon through Wed and then rally after earnings. It feels like next week will one hell of week to play either upside or downside with a chance to make major moves .....if you chose correctly. But that's a big IF lol

Right now leaning towards closing out just a couple CC's on Friday right before close. Then see what Monday is tracking at the open to see if we go into flash crash scenario
So the only thing you can do is follow the waves and not bet the farm on anything. (The man with the Time Machine can Yolo the farm)

I have to look up my posting about levels below, but as I remember they were $220(-light support )217-210-199-173 and then the last big gap-up around 145. Sigh. Yesterday I added the Armageddonish $128.. (red-dotted rising line under all-time-lows)
Ps collecting .39 on closing the -P210 (nice lunch...)
STO-C 1/19 $210 for extra desert for tomorrow

In my head there is a crazy idea, burning.
To sell @SP 210 something like -C205 and -P215 for next week, because it will be volatile I think. So when significantly UP close -P and when down close -C. Only a unidirectional run will scalp me, instead of me scalping premium....
[Edit] already have put it in play for tomorrow with -P210 and -C210, will scalp on any >1 dollar gain [/edit}

Reactions: tivoboy
Since I still suck at taking advantage of tops and bottoms and trying to learn to act when everyone else is scared and disgusted with the stock, I stuck my neck out and STO a few -P290 9/20/24 @$85.75 to add to my current position of the same to reduce cost basis. I also BTO a couple more +C255 9/20/24 @$18.55.

Officially now is around the time to think a little contrarian.

Of course I may regret it but nothing chanced is nothing gained AND I can always reverse the trades if we break $200 and fall more with no signs of recovery in the near future.

Good credits rolling to 1/26 because of ER increased IV. Don't expect the same the following week if the -P210 ends up ITM next week....
You were sooooo right !!! Checking for same strike roll, it's a credit. Yet, $5 improvement, same width. to the 2nd of Feb already a $1.77 debit and flip rolls are too risky to run to for cover. Careful, folks !