Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
900 seems so distracting :D how about some more sideways trading for a 870-875 close Thursday? 800 CSP would fare well, so would 840/740 BPS. 855 CC not so well, will look for roll opportunity before noon. Today's MMD to mid 850s was the ideal time to close it for 70% but didn't have an order in to snag it while away... an 850 Friday close would hit them all.

TSLA-TotalGamma-10Aug2022.png

Reactions: MaxPain and Yoona
My brother got a call from Charles Schwab trying to get him back. He doesn't know what they will offer yet specifically, but should he even consider it for options trading and margin account? Fidelity has not changed the margin requirement for shares from 40% this year. I can't remember if CS is one of the brokers that screwed people over by suddenly raising it...?
I have Schwab and love their StreetsmartEdge platform. They havent screwed me on margin requirements. I was also able to convince them to lower my option fees. I highly recommend them.

I also have accounts with TD and Fidelity. Prefer trading on Schwab.

There’s a lot of talk about a massive drop in most equities—including TSLA—in Q1-2023/Q2-2023, with TSLA visiting the $500-$600’s again (pre-split prices). Do you guys see that as quite likely to happen too, and are any of you planning to sell some or a lot of TSLA to go to cash when TSLA runs a bit in the next 1-2 months, so you can buy back at those lower prices, effectively doubling your TSLA portfolio? 🤔

I’m trading for about two years and trying to learn to manage risk but also reward. If so many less paranoid voices are saying a huge drop is coming soon due to the economy, is that not trying to “time the market?”

Thanks again.

Of cp
There’s a lot of talk about a massive drop in most equities—including TSLA—in Q1-2023/Q2-2023, with TSLA visiting the $500-$600’s again (pre-split prices). Do you guys see that as quite likely to happen too, and are any of you planning to sell some or a lot of TSLA to go to cash when TSLA runs a bit in the next 1-2 months, so you can buy back at those lower prices, effectively doubling your TSLA portfolio? 🤔

I’m trading for about two years and trying to learn to manage risk but also reward. If so many less paranoid voices are saying a huge drop is coming soon due to the economy, is that not trying to “time the market?”

Thanks again.
Of course it is timing the market.

So you are saying sell at 1200 and then buy at 600. Double you position. Where are the taxes?

If TSLA delivers projected 3 and 4Q (only reason it wouldn’t is production jam up. Demand is already there.) it is hard to see it going back down to 600 unless the business craters somehow or a real hard recession with spillover into BEV demand. 50 % YOY with operational leverage in the bottom line is helluva drug!

Thanks again.
Wrong thread....
We are focused on options, volatility and making a profit from that here - your questions would be better directed to the "Main" thread.

Wrong thread....
We are focused on options, volatility and making a profit from that here - your questions would be better directed to the "Main" thread.
You’re right, though the Options team here is filled with pros with TONS of experience and brilliant minds, hence I posted here ;-)

Of cp

Of course it is timing the market.

So you are saying sell at 1200 and then buy at 600. Double you position. Where are the taxes?

If TSLA delivers projected 3 and 4Q (only reason it wouldn’t is production jam up. Demand is already there.) it is hard to see it going back down to 600 unless the business craters somehow or a real hard recession with spillover into BEV demand. 50 % YOY with operational leverage in the bottom line is helluva drug!

Good points, thank you!

Thanks again.
If we were to see a huge recession (or if we continue the current recession, if you want to put it that way), my personal belief is that TSLA will drop less (%wise) then most stocks out there.

Recession = sucks excess money out of the market to the sidelines. But during all this, the market chooses the winners and the losers. Only the winners get invested in again (cough Tesla cough).

In other words, I don't see Tesla going below $600 ever again. Ever. (pre-upcoming-split).

Reactions: OrthoSurg
If we were to see a huge recession (or if we continue the current recession, if you want to put it that way), my personal belief is that TSLA will drop less (%wise) then most stocks out there.

Recession = sucks excess money out of the market to the sidelines. But during all this, the market chooses the winners and the losers. Only the winners get invested in again (cough Tesla cough).

In other words, I don't see Tesla going below $600 ever again. Ever. (pre-upcoming-split).

Thanks. Okay, not below $600, but maybe $700? What’s the floor you think?

Thanks again.

Thanks. Okay, not below $600, but maybe $700? What’s the floor you think?

Thanks again.
I mentioned $600 cause that's been major support/resistance. $700 is not a special number in this way, and waaaay closer. For all I know the floor is $850 now, impossible to tell. Too much possible good news coming:
- TWTR deal? (favourable for Elon)
- next Giga announcement
- AI Day / FSD / Dojo, always far away, until it's not. Wildcard.
- Q3 production
- split
- Moody's upgrade

(And good news mostly comes out of thin air, for example the Hertz deal. Really don't try to time the market short term, is my advice.)

My brother got a call from Charles Schwab trying to get him back. He doesn't know what they will offer yet specifically, but should he even consider it for options trading and margin account? Fidelity has not changed the margin requirement for shares from 40% this year. I can't remember if CS is one of the brokers that screwed people over by suddenly raising it...?

We had good experiences with Schwab. I believe there was a change on the margin maintenance like many brokerages. The last TSLA split the account was updated with correct shares without any issues. The margin interest is negotiable and good for a year. They automatically renewed the better rate for us this year.

Rolled the money printing Buy/Write 850CC in my mom's account two weeks (Aug 26) for another $28 😄🤑
Nice! The 26th was tempting... I could have improved strike by 20 for $5 per week. Instead, I bought back the 855cc during the morning dip, keeping 70% of the initial and first roll credit. Just not comfortable yet going out more than 4-5 DTE.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
daytrading 8/19 -c905; so far, so good

1660233666227.png

going forward, instead of playing fibs with pure -p or -c, i might just daytrade the stock (or synthetic long, to be decided)

the reason is because the profit is 2x (or more) due to delta

(assume 1000 shares or 10 contracts) for ex, if sp is 870 and moves up 1.50 into 871.50, 1000 shares will give $1500 profit but -p x10 with 0.5 delta will give only $750 profit per round

each round is ~10 minutes on the fibs, depending on personal time frame; i noticed that if sp is range-bound in the afternoon, res minus supp is about $1.50

1660238595868.png

(not advice, and always have a trailing stop loss per round)