Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully the day traders are selling off here and we can cool out a bit. I want $1000.........just on Monday :)

This all makes perfectly logical sense and we probably should've jumped on some leverage to take advantage.
3/18 was a massive expiration, so MM's had plenty of incentive to hold down thru then.
Now not only are they forced to cover that shorting.....all sorts of buying pressure is here too.

If all my IRA cash weren't on the sidelines as margin on my rolled BPS, I'd have been knee-deep in 5/20 calls right now. These guys are pretty good at their jobs! In 2022 I will do better.

I just rolled my 850/900bcs to 950/975. Did cost me 34, but I stepped in with 24 and had some profit in the previous weeks.

Yeah, should/could have waited until the SP goes 990+, but I wasn't sure what the pricing action would be on this roll. I would rather not have it go up together with the SP, since higher SP also affects my margin.

I really need to learn to roll whenever ATM and don't trust whatever. I can always roll back to my previous position if the stock does react like I expect.

Reactions: saniflash
Bought back my 950 for a loss this week and sold 100 shares at 990. Made sense tax wise. Back in the put game. Can't help but wonder if this is short covering as no one was expecting a raise like this over the past 6 trading days, even Uber-bulls like us. Now just need to figure out that pesky June 1000 I placed in a holding cell.

Reactions: MikeC
I have held off on rolling back any of my 900 puts from Jan 2024 so far. Going to wait a few days to let this all settle. We're at what, 6 green days in a row? Bound to have a red day somewhere in here. But who knows, if the war in Ukraine ends....thats surely a 10% correction.

Meanwhile my Aug 900 puts are up 36% over this past rally. If they hit 80%, I will close them and then look to roll back all my Jan 2024 puts to clean that mess up.

I am optimistic that by July I should be in a better position than I am now...

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs
Bought back my 950 for a loss this week and sold 100 shares at 990. Made sense tax wise. Back in the put game. Can't help but wonder if this is short covering as no one was expecting a raise like this over the past 6 trading days, even Uber-bulls like us. Now just need to figure out that pesky June 1000 I placed in a holding cell.

ARKK is up 5% so this is not specific to TSLA. I can't imagine the markets continuing to run like this.

Opened 15X 1100/1250 BCS for Mar 25 for 3.09. We might have a gap up tomorrow or not but I just don't see how the MMs will let this run to 1100 this week.

I'll be in the profit taking camp no later than early / mid April :)

My own view on this is that we're still a week and a half from the P/D numbers. I think that a replay of Q1 is not unreasonable, by which I mean a big spike the day after, and then regression after that. Heck - the quarterly report later in the month didn't really move the needle then. I think the big surprise will come from the P/D.

I'll have a quick finger on the trigger the day after P/D. If we have another $100 spike upwards, something I consider very much a possibility, then I'm probably making all (or most) of my programmed April sales right then and there. Especially if we see the 1100s+ the day after P/D.

Also related to this - I don't think it'll take all that long after the April financial news for the Macro Story (inflation, interest rates mostly) taking back over from the Tesla Story. This -could- be the next big ATH break out - I tend to think we'll need more than 1 or 2 quarters of great financials to get investors on board with the idea that Tesla is about as immune to inflation and rising interest rates as anything in the market.
Building on this - something that hadn't occurred to me prior today, and this big move up, is that I might be pulling the trigger on sales of the time limited positions this week. I don't need to wait for P/D if I've got a good close already in hand. That would probably happen around an $1100 share price which, after today, might be .. tomorrow!?!

I have a stronger expectation of a down day tomorrow and that'll be an excuse to sell more puts, while continuing to look for more up than down until P/D and a spike right after P/D.

I expect the next significant inflation impact to be early April and the CPI report, and between Tesla's production and quarterly reports. Until then inflation is more out-of-sight, out-of-mind, at least to some degree for some investors. This is another reason my focus is on P/D rather than the quarterly report.

Often, when TSLA starts pushing on BB...
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 2.24.39 PM.png

It ends up looking like this. Just for those that are brave enough to continue with CCs

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 2.24.55 PM.png

More NOT-ADVICE

An idea I've encountered to some degree, but not nearly as much as I think worthwhile, about interest rates, is that somewhere around 2.5% for the Fed target interest rate is neutral to the economy. Around 2.5% is neither stimulative, nor is it a wet blanket (I can't think of a better and cool term like stimulative :D).

That means that with this most recent interest rate boost, the Fed has moved from a stance of aggressive stimulation of the economy to ... aggressive stimulation of the economy. The difference between now and the start of the pandemic is inflation was 8% at most recent report, and I expect it to be higher in the April report.

If the Fed carries through with quarter point hikes for the balance of the year and arrives at 1.75 - 2.00% at end of year, then the Fed will have moved from aggressive stimulation of the economy to .... stimulating the economy at a steadily and lower stance of economic stimulation. I don't know what inflation will be at the end of the year but any stimulation with 8%+ inflation and such a good employment environment cries out for more aggressive interest rate increases. I am increasingly of the belief that the Fed needs to do something shocking to let investors know clearly that the high inflation needs to be addressed - something to let investors know that the Fed isn't asleep at the wheel through this. I tend to think that quarter point rate changes are priced in and have become the baseline for business-as-usual to investors.

I see these as a net good for Tesla, even if the transfer mechanism is somewhat convoluted and delayed. At some point - maybe with this P/D report, and maybe in a few more quarterly P/D reports, I think that investors will flip a switch in their thinking about Tesla. At some point I expect investors to realize that Tesla is effectively immune to interest rate changes and inflation - that Tesla has the necessary pricing power to pass along inflation in raw materials to buyers with no effective change in the business.

And interest rates don't really matter to the company any longer - there is no need for longer term borrowing to support expansion of the business. The company might even be facing the need to start paying a dividend to avoid accumulating too much cash (how weird is that).

The combination, I think, will turn the view of Tesla from a "Growth Company" (with corresponding interest rate sensitivities) and into a safe haven. A good place to be invested in the face of high and rising inflation and/or interest rates.

As long as the longer term Tesla Story remains intact. The big risk to this safe haven view, as I see it, is a quarter (or 2) of matching or missing expectations. It can and will happen - the question is when. As long as Wall Street is told ">50% long term growth, significantly higher in 2022" and hears "30% growth" and puts 30% into their models, then the Wall Street expectations will lag reality by a lot.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to start selling calls again (-1060 and -1080s). I thought surely the 6th up day in a row would be a good time, but I was too early in the day. They still might be OK, lots of trading left this week and we are looking pretty overbought right now. At least they were not BCS.
One mechanism that I use for picking strikes (not the only one by far) is to also consider what strike price I'd be ok with selling (buying) at. The real use of this idea is it naturally makes me use more distant strikes for call sales when I feel the share price is particularly low (such as call sales when we were at 760; too easy to sell the 800s and then find myself at today's share price).

Same idea on the put side - when the share price is particularly high I will still be selling puts, but they will be increasingly distant. Maybe 1050s with shares at 1200 - stuff like that.

Since most of the time, even with Tesla, a big move in one direction gets paired up with a big move in the other direction.

Similarly I'm more likely to find a desirable strike I'm ready to sell at when the share price is high. So if the share price today were 1200 I would be a lot more likely to sell 1250s ($50 OTM) call than to sell the 800 call strike when shares were at 750.

That's the idea anyway.

I’ve been rolling my 940 puts for months now. Hopefully I can close them this week ;)
I thought I was conservative rolling my -p1050 to July to leave time to the stock price to recover. Didn’t realize it would take 4 weeks after the start of the war to go back there. I thought it would be minimum 3 months.

The moves are so brutal I am still shocked my 900CC sold in a supposed bear trend when we were around 760 got ITM with 4 days and now I am already ITM with my 990CCs after only 2 days. These moves are brutal however I am more confident to roll CCs for a while till there is the worry of recession, war ending, no more inflation making the stock price correct down a little bit. If we go straight to ATH without seeing some profit taking I will be happy to close my -p1050 earlier.

I thought I was conservative rolling my -p1050 to July to leave time to the stock price to recover. Didn’t realize it would take 4 weeks after the start of the war to go back there. I thought it would be minimum 3 months.

The moves are so brutal I am still shocked my 900CC sold in a supposed bear trend when we were around 760 got ITM with 4 days and now I am already ITM with my 990CCs after only 2 days. These moves are brutal however I am more confident to roll CCs for a while till there is the worry of recession, war ending, no more inflation making the stock price correct down a little bit. If we go straight to ATH without seeing some profit taking I will be happy to close my -p1050 earlier.
I got caught after Q4 production numbers with 1025 and 940 puts. The 1025 got assigned and I'm now selling those calls, may have to roll them this week ! I just kept rolling 940 a week or two at a time. Just a question of selling puts or calls ;)

BTW, when Covid first hit I got caught with 800 puts. Got assigned around 600 - and the price went to 360. Sold calls out a month and didn't get caught. Infact I rode the calls all the way to 4,000 or so (in pre-split numbers) ;)

I got caught after Q4 production numbers with 1025 and 940 puts. The 1025 got assigned and I'm now selling those calls, may have to roll them this week ! I just kept rolling 940 a week or two at a time. Just a question of selling puts or calls ;)

BTW, when Covid first hit I got caught with 800 puts. Got assigned around 600 - and the price went to 360. Sold calls out a month and didn't get caught. Infact I rode the calls all the way to 4,000 or so (in pre-split numbers) ;)
How far OTM did you sell calls? 7-10 DTE?

Although I planned to hold and eventually close my 4/14 BPS 1000/800s when the stock took off like today, I choose to roll them all to 5/20 same strike @5. Way below my target of @20 for a monthly 200 spread BPS for a monthly 10% return, but hope to see a continued improvement in SP getting these pre-Elon stock sale BPS profitable again. Just too worried babysitting them for a few more weeks to try and close so will continue to roll baby roll.

This will likely close out my March trading with 5% return in the cash tied up in my BPS. My worst month this year but 2022 average is 13.5%.

NOT-ADVICE

My outlook and plan. I have been planning to be out of all of my cc positions as of the start of this week. WIth one exception that was true, and this morning I closed the last of these open cc. With P/D coming soon I see a high likelihood of the Tesla Story taking over from the Macro Story (a combination of inflation / interest, plus invasion of Ukraine). As of today I expect I won't be opening any cc until the day or 3 after P/D at the soonest.

I do have some shares I will be selling prior to mid-April - I expect I'll sell those the day after P/D.

I also have long June 750 calls that I plan to sell sometime in April. These are my last leveraged position, with my intent of the moment that I won't be using leverage.

My view on things - the inflation / interest rates side of the macro story will be easily drowned out by Tesla Story / reporting the next couple of weeks. It seems that Wall Street is again hearing the company say "50%+ growth rate far into the future, with much better in 2022" and then plugging 30% growth into their models. At some point one of the analysts is going to take the company at their word, plug that into their model, and at least report 2 target share prices - their own target, plus what their target would be if they take the ridiculous company assertions of growth at face value.

On the Ukraine front I see 2 possible major changes in the situation that can significantly impact our share price. To the downside Russia decided to use a nuke (bad for all of the markets).

To the upside Russia retreats or something similar (throws in the towel, however they spin it). I see a relief rally in this case and maybe a big one (big = rally above where we were at when this mess started). I think the bias is more towards this than the other.

I consider the most likely evolution of the Ukraine invasion to be more of the same, at least from the point of view of the market.

And I see a combo of good news to also be good - strong Tesla Story + relief rally from Russia throwing in the towel on the Ukraine invasion, and thus no covering calls for me, at least through early April and the P/D numbers
I would advise keeping in mind that Fed has a very serious problem, run away inflation.
Big run up in equity, and/or housing markets I would think will be very detrimental to their efforts to contain the run away inflation.
JPowell was praising Volcker recently on how Volcker handled the run away inflation.
Big run ups in equities this time will likely end with large funds selling equities to retail and leaving them as bag holders.
Mar-2020 is very different from this time. Post covid there was a lot of liquidity the Fed injected into the system. This time, they are very serious about draining the money out of the system to fight inflation.
It's not just the Fed funds rate, there's Balance Sheet run-off, and likely active QT. These will have serious effects on risk-on assets.
The rise in mortgage rates in the last few weeks, as Fed stopped adding to their MBS holdings, is likely a sign of things to come.

Last edited: