Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my December 383/283 BPSs. I'm slowly trying to roll them to something around 4X 330/300. I opened some 325/295 for $15 near the open. Now have order to close 1/4X 383/283 for $60 (I think a pop to 310 should do it). IF that fills, will try another batch. So I'm taking on a little more margin. I'm also making it harder for myself to roll in a month or two if the SP is below 300. But hopefully increasing the chance that I can get rid of these in December.

Edit: 383/283 order filled/closed
Very helpful! I was thinking about doing a flat roll but now I'm looking at rolling my 11/18 283.33/350 BPS to 2x 12/16 295/330 BPS for a very small credit.

Seems like a tiny bit of added margin for a much higher chance of expiring worthless in December, anyone have any thoughts on concerns about that move?

learned 3 things today (noting them so i can save the post for future reference):

1) let the BW go; next week if sp=310 (ie too high) then STO CSP -p300 @3
My 2 cents: if you let the shares @ 279 cost basis go and say goodbye to that b/w, you could buy shares again at 310 (IF stock price is that high by then).
Why not start selling CSP at 10 or 15 dollars below that SP for a strike price you're comfortable with (@310 you should get a 3 dollar premium for a 290-295 strike which is reasonable)?

2) if sp is rising, roll BW up (ie 280 to 290) for even credit; there is no cash income next week but there is $10 gain via share appreciation if 290 is called away; make sure new strike is below current sp; works only if not relying on weekly cash income
I too have had the same buy/writes for ever. The SP has been climbing slowly enough that I've been able to either roll at the same strike for good premium, or on the weeks where the premium wasn't great, roll up for even credit (effectively getting a nice premium in the form of share appreciation). I'm trying to keep the strike a little below the SP in case the SP retreats - I want to stay close for a good premium whether I'm a little ITM or a little OTM.

3) for BPS in trouble, do roll-split; this needs margin; less manageable due to tighter spreads
With my December 383/283 BPSs. I'm slowly trying to roll them to something around 4X 330/300. I opened some 325/295 for $15 near the open. Now have order to close 1/4X 383/283 for $60 (I think a pop to 310 should do it). IF that fills, will try another batch. So I'm taking on a little more margin. I'm also making it harder for myself to roll in a month or two if the SP is below 300. But hopefully increasing the chance that I can get rid of these in December.

Edit: 383/283 order filled/closed

Last edited:
Very helpful! I was thinking about doing a flat roll but now I'm looking at rolling my 11/18 283.33/350 BPS to 2x 12/16 295/330 BPS for a very small credit.

Seems like a tiny bit of added margin for a much higher chance of expiring worthless in December, anyone have any thoughts on concerns about that move?
This is basically what I've been doing with my DITM BPS that were bordering on unsalvageable this spring/summer.

Months back I widened the spreads slightly and rolled out for small credit. These were $100 spreads pre-split with both legs ITM. Yikes. The market will happily let you "throw good money after bad". My faith in TSLA allowed me to know we'll inevitably rise as 3Q and 4Q profits approach.

With them still ITM a couple months ago, I was forced to punt again and used the "2x method" above to roll for free or slight credit while lowering the short strike dramatically and widening the total spread(cash margin) by a hair.

You are 100% correct this leaves the spreads far less "manageable", but I felt pretty sure we'd cross $300 soon enough and at worst I'd be able to roll out another month or two at the same strikes for credit.

So far, so good. My first batch are coming up at 9/30 expiration at $310/267. If I can't expire or close them next week, I can always roll to Nov for likely a decent credit. Or Jan if Powell really says something crazy tomorrow. That gives the market time to absorb 3Q(or 4Q) earnings and reprice TSLA. One would hope!

Anything in particular that you can share?

As of 11:30 or so today... options volume where contracts >= 500

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 11.36.08 AM.png

Anything in particular that you can share?
Sorry, not in front of computer but mostly 320-325 strike calls for this week and next week and one very curious 400K bet for one month out 350 strike.

I’d say this is big money making bets. I haven’t seen any significant option flow on TSLA and that changed today. I’m not convinced that this is the Pre P&D run up.

In terms of price action 315 will be a big level. If we close anywhere near that today I’d say we gap up tomorrow even with the fed noise.

Sorry, not in front of computer but mostly 320-325 strike calls for this week and next week and one very curious 400K bet for one month out 350 strike.
Massive 22,000 10/07 c330s traded today. Today’s action for 9/23 is mostly 310s, for 9/30 is mostly 320s. Bullish? Also, what just happened to the SP at 13:00? Traders back from lunch? Edit: so this was probably just today’s TA trading. Barchart.com that others have posted about was showing 13-wk high at 314.67, Pivot Point 1st Resistance Point at 313.34, and the high for today at 313.33.:eek:

Anyway, I’m mostly in 310 straddles or p300/p305-c310 tight strangles for 9/30 and one 300 straddle for 10/21 (probably not a great position, and will roll up as needed next month).
E34F4CAE-22E6-4F12-B820-986CAF8BDED5.jpeg

48625F30-E8EE-43E8-8F86-6BAC58B6D9CE.jpeg

9DB54523-F571-44B8-A675-9E0E2F80948F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It feels like the NASDAQ has sold off on the Fed meeting rumor over the last week. Hopefully green to end the week regardless of the news tomorrow. I'm just not confident enough to trade on this feeling....
Fingers crossed, but I can't help but feel that Powell is going to remain hawkish with his comments.

I'm listening to the Good Soil Investment weekly chat, and Emmet Peppers mentioned rumors he's hearing (I believe he mentioned traders) that Powell is currently specifically targeting stock prices as an expected outcome of the Fed's interest rate decisions. Not good if true.