Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bear raid continues in premarket. I much rather prefer red in premarket so let's see if buyers show up anytime soon and shorts get trapped. Shorties have full control. Buying opportunity..says Elon. The EWT experts are saying we could go down to 104 if we break 135. I don't see it but I obviously did not see 138 before the P&D/earnings reports.

The big question for me is what is the board doing. It was one thing when Gary kept pounding the table asking for buybacks at 200 but I mean at these depressed prices I would think there is great value?

Anyway, I took some hedges off yesterday but if it breaks 134/135 I will be adding them back again.

I closed my edges yesterday expecting a rally however the opposite happens, like always.

Capped during up days and going down following macros the red days.

To avoid managing margin calls every day of my life I have 2 options; 1) selling all my shares and close all my underwater puts and buying $200 Jan25 LEAPS.

2) sell Jan25 200CCs on my whole position

I've been wondering if those repeated assignments are another tactic by the MMs to drive the shares out of our hands...
There's plenty of shares to go around. Of course once the option is close to 100 delta the short put option is about even with 100 shares of stock so the put option becomes up for grabs. After the transaction though only time says which side had the smart money.

• Informative
Reactions: rikkert
I've been wondering if those repeated assignments are another tactic by the MMs to drive the shares out of our hands...
With assignment you get them shares ...

I had a couple of TDOC (TeleDoc Arkk favorite :) ) PUTS assigned overnight and got the beautiful email in the morning.
So sold the shares on open, Sold Jan 25 $30 Puts and so far the trade will break even. (But added 2 years of time)

e.g. Had sold Jan 23 40 Puts for $6
Got assigned today, sold stock for $25, and sold Jan 25 30 Puts for $9

40-25 = 15 (SP difference)
PUTS premium $6(initial), $10 today = $16.
So still up $1 if it is above $30 in Jan 2025.

Expiration?
They were for this week

I guess I should be pleased that I made big effort to roll them down and reduce contracts, they were originally 10x -c200 + 10x -c195, managed to roll down to 11x -p180 by straddling with calls...

Gives me 2600 "trading" shares then that I can not stress about too much if they exercise

I think they're using it to provoke margin calls, which means although you get shares assigned, in my case at 180, then I get called and am forced to sell them at market, 132

Fortunately I don't use margin at all, so although it's not what I wanted, it's not the end of the world either and I can stop worrying about them now

Also BTC 15x -p145's @$11, decided to cut my losses there. I think selling puts from here is very dangerous still

Uhh.. this feels like what happened to Nokia around 2010, when the stock lost around 90%.

Only difference that Nokia had incompetent leaders, were losing the business and actually would have gone bankcrupt if Microsoft hadn't bought them.
Meanwhile Tesla is breaking record after record. Will we really go below 100?

Could someone help me understand BPS assignment vs max loss?

If I had a BPS for say 150/200, my max loss should be 50.

If I get early assigned, am I paying 200/share to purchase, or am I getting credit for the value of the assigned put?

In otherwords, if after assignment I just want to close the BPS for max loss of 50, can I just sell the shares and sell the long put? Or do I need to sell the shares, resell the short put, and then close the BPS? Or is it just too late after assignment and I've lost even more than max?

I am so confused. Got a lot of assignments this morning!

Could someone help me understand BPS assignment vs max loss?

If I had a BPS for say 150/200, my max loss should be 50.

If I get early assigned, am I paying 200/share to purchase, or am I getting credit for the value of the assigned put?

In otherwords, if after assignment I just want to close the BPS for max loss of 50, can I just sell the shares and sell the long put? Or do I need to sell the shares, resell the short put, and then close the BPS? Or is it just too late after assignment and I've lost even more than max?

I am so confused. Got a lot of assignments this morning!
Yeah, once assigned there is no BPS and you are long the 150 put so you can execute that to sell the shares at $150. Or sell both the shares and put to also recover the time value.

Reactions: mickle
Thanks for this. I just checked on the Tesla Canadian site and it seems like Tesla is also offering $5000CAD for a new model 3/Y between Dec 21st and Dec 31st, 2022. They also changed the order page from "order now" to "buy now". I didn't click around too much but seems like I can't get to the custom order page anymore, there is a brief flash with a menu button that lets u custom order but it disappears quickly...

There are no Canadian rebate incoming for the model 3 or Y because it is priced above $55k CAD for cars and $60k CAD for SUVs. Unlike the USA with the incoming $7.5k IRA incentive, for Canada unless Tesla is planning to reduce the price (to under $55k for the model 3 (Currently 62k i believe), and the model Y LR AWD to $60k and under (currently $87k CAD) in 2023, I don't see why Tesla need to offer $5000 other than there is an excess inventory (over supply, under demand?), but the confusing thing is they are matching the USA dates (ends dec 31st, 2022). If they do reduce the MSRP, there goes the gross margin....(yes i know bulls talk about margin could be maintained if they can keep pushing cost down.....)

For the first time in years, I actually see inventory now on the tesla website, they were usually completely empty, only the USA site have inventory cars. 2 weeks ago I was spooked, because my friend who was shopping was told by Tesla sales that they had inventory in the Richmond and Surrey delivery centers, but at the time I don't think many cars showed up on the site. She indirectly saved my margin account if i recall correctly that was a green bounce day and I sold shares at $180 to get out of margin....I still have a margin account instead of being wiped out (without injecting capital) thanks to that tip...I can't remember but $138 would have been my margin call point and we are pretty much there, I would have been in margin call now, that was a close one...

I'm actually feeling very bearish and might actually pull the trigger on selling ITM cc (or even DITM cc) if there is a green day/bounce....

My apologies for spreading potential FUD/fear, but thought I need to give a bearish interpretation that news just to be the devil's advocate...I hope i m wrong and this is the bottom, and good luck to the bulls with my assigned shares if I end up selling the ITM cc's....I'll have fun stay poor..
View attachment 887762

View attachment 887761

Sold 12/30 -100c ($29.75 credit), SP around $129.31. I have CC on all my shares now.

Considering BTC some cc and roll down., or sell more shares, I think I'm close to 80% loss even with these moves.....

Positions
12/23 -160c ($5.00 credit)
12/30 -140c ($5.53 credit)
12/30 -100c ($29.75 credit)
1/20 -175c ($14.65 credit)

Shitputs from here onwards: STO 26x 12/31 -c150 @$0.82 -> honestly might melt these exercise, but I struggle to see a 15% reversal in the next week

And a small downside hedge in case this continues and the P&D makes it even worse: STO 10x 1/6 -c115 @$18.3 -> these I'll roll if necessary

TBH though, feels like Q4 delivery of around 420 cars, not 420k is the consensus, totally nuts!

Trying to counter the $0 $0 margin cash buying power left situation, I sold some non-TSLA to raise cash, some at a loss. Also sold some TSLA, highest cost basis that I was gifted via assignment a few months back. Looks like I may need to let a few more go. I'm so skeptical of price now, not sure I want to roll this week's 130/135 BPS... down $5 and out is break even, January after earnings. It'd avoid assignment this week, so that will be the deciding factor. Anyone see us closing Friday above 135?