Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Derisking a bit by closing 10 of the 15 strangles p160/c210 (for 55% profit). Not touching the 5 strangles p150/c220 for now.
Here's you derisking on $50 wide strangles while I'm sitting on 10x 1:3 -190 straddles 😆

I'm actually more worried for the upside than the down... there's $31k of premium in those positions, so I really don't mind -p190's to assign with a net $159 price, might be painful in the immediate future, but will win on those going forwards, if only for selling -c190's every week until they go ITM

I'm more concerned about the July -p250's I still have open, if we did get a dump then a strong risk they could get early assigned, but then I could sell the shares and look for a 1:4 straddle at a lower strike, same expiry...

Last edited:
Rolled 23 x Apr 21 -135c to May 26 -135c for $2.1 credit. Getting paid monthly for hoping...
There's enough premium there to close 1 or two strikes, no? Or roll a few ATM? Of course you lose the income, but you'd slowly close out the DITM calls...

Maybe you'll get a chance tomorrow if the earnings suck

I like that it's out of the way now. That way analysts can ask questions about it. Else it's like "we lower prices but you can't talk to us for another three months".
If they announced it at the start of the call, analysts would have an hour to ask about it, and they could keep pointing to their amazing margins (If they still are amazing). We will see. I’m worried….

If they announced it at the start of the call, analysts would have an hour to ask about it, and they could keep pointing to their amazing margins (If they still are amazing). We will see. I’m worried….
No offence, but you're always worried these days, emotional (and financial) trauma from the last 16 months!

I also find it odd timing, a cut last week, another today when they could have woven it into a narrative during earnings

I do like to think that Tesla know what they're doing though - I don't always agree with Elon when he's posting on Twitter, but he's very, very good at managing his companies; Zack and Drew are no slouches either

I think if ER was going to be good news, they would have cut prices after ER, and said on the call - “Our margins are so good, we are going to cut prices more tomorrow….”
Maybe so, but Tesla, the company or the insiders, are not interested in stock price but only in value, because value won't pull back the coming years. So now aggressively pushing all the cars they can make at any profitable price keeps them being able to even increase turning the world into sustainability faster, opening more factories. So finetuning prices per market is the best they can do for shareholders that HODL. When Valley of death comes, they will increase prices again, I expect this to begin no later than begin 2024. If by then, simultaneously costs have been pushed back even further, gross margin will be above 30%, while competitors are at 5% GM at best. Don't you underestimate Tesla's production-mastership and engagement to always look for skipping costs (the best part being no part etc))

Last edited:
Maybe so, but Tesla, the company or the insiders, are not interested in stock price but only in value, because value won't pull back the coming years. So now aggressively pushing all the cars they can make at any profitable price keeps them being able to even increase turning the world into sustainability faster, opening more factories. So finetuning prices per market is the best they can do for shareholders that HODL. When Valley of death comes, they will increase prices again, I expect this no later than begin 2024. If by then, simultaneously costs have been pushed back even further, gross margin will be above 30%, while competitors are at 5% GM in the best case. Don't you underestimate Tesla's production-mastership and engagements to always look for skipping costs (the best part being no part etc))
"The best option contract is no option contract" - the HODLers

Closed the rest of my covered calls. Taking risk off the table given how TSLA is appearing to hold up.

Let my worst problem be that I made less on a trade than I thought I would if TSLA drops to $170 or less…

It feels freeing to have shares unencumbered by CCs so I can sell them at any pop. I have about 1,800 I’m looking to cut at $205 or thereabouts to raise some cash. keeping them locked in a covered coal puts at risk the chance to exit mid-week if we pop there and then fall off.

After earning winds dies down I plan to STO new CC’s on next highs, and if uptrend is strong and sustaining, I may STO some CSP’s below support.

GLTA 🙏

Maybe so, but Tesla, the company or the insiders, are not interested in stock price but only in value, because value won't pull back the coming years. So now aggressively pushing all the cars they can make at any profitable price keeps them being able to even increase turning the world into sustainability faster, opening more factories. So finetuning prices per market is the best they can do for shareholders that HODL. When Valley of death comes, they will increase prices again, I expect this to begin no later than begin 2024. If by then, simultaneously costs have been pushed back even further, gross margin will be above 30%, while competitors are at 5% GM at best. Don't you underestimate Tesla's production-mastership and engagement to always look for skipping costs (the best part being no part etc))
Most definitely the company is interested in stock price. If not for anything else - because it is part of employee compensation and SP affects their morale.

I expect price increases only when demand at a given price is above supply. This might happen after they start producing smaller, cheaper vehicles.

Reactions: Jim Holder
Sure,
The employees are encouraged bij SP too (which is in Tesla's interest of course, but for workers it is (made) clear that this compensation comes with a risk. But the share is not meant to be sold anytime soon. (hence value being the only thing important.))

Second, on car-price only regarding cheaper cars.
I don't believe that is the case, because there will be a serious period in which nobody wants to buy ICE and EVERY EV is being sold, at almost ANY price. Named the valley of death. (The moment everyones is on a dying Ice and wants an @EVNow )

Last edited: