Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just opened a $165 Straddle for next week (05/12) expiration - for $10.50 each

Plenty of room to adjust if needed and don't mind buying at $154.75 or selling at $175.50 next week for more leaps.

Thought this was fair since max pain is $165 next week and it looks like this weeks $162.50 is close unless macro gets really bad - I think AAPL tonight tells us the direction.
very impressed with your trades this year!

very impressed with your trades this year!
Thanks - I am staying small with all trades because I want my plan to be that the trade is going to work or the rescue plan has wiggle room.

Most (over 80%) have been under 15 contracts leaving lots of room and using profits to buy leaps or put in the bank - appreciate all the analysis you provide - it helps!

I like this strategy as well!
I've to think more about it - but one downside is ongoing management.

My current strategy is to sell options that are 10% to 15% OTM for small premium (30 to 50 cents). I generally don't have to manage them - just keep a GTC order to buy back for 1 cent open and on Friday either roll the options or let them close and open new options on Monday.

With high premium ATM options I would get 10x the premium, so I can sell 1/10th the contracts. So, would I close them after getting say 50% profit each side separately ...? Wait until Friday ... ?

Last edited:
I've to think more about it - but one downside is ongoing management.

My current strategy is to sell options that are 10% to 15% OTM for small premium (30 to 50 cents). I generally don't have to manage them - just keep an GTC order to buy back for 1 cent open and on Friday either roll the options or let them be bought back and open new options on Monday.

With high premium ATM options I would get 10x the premium, so I can sell 1/10th the contracts. So, would I close them after getting say 50% profit each side separately ...? Wait until Friday ... ?

I set stop losses if I do not want to sell / buy - usually for 12% (because 10% can happen quick and I still like the position)

For profit - I do that actively - if I see 30% but momentum shifts or news pending and I want out - I close.
Or just the opposite - if I see 40%, 50% or more and there is room to run I let it be. Usually out by Thursday either way - gamma squeeze on a friday up or down is something I do not want.

But long story short, since I don't mind buying the put side or selling the call side I can choose to ride it out if needed and let them execute.

For profit - I do that actively - if I see 30% but momentum shifts or news pending and I want out - I close.
Or just the opposite - if I see 40%, 50% or more and there is room to run I let it be.
One interesting point is that people on the east coast have an advantage in this. By the time I'm looking at stocks in the morning after getting kids ready for school etc is 9 AM (12 PM EST) - the market has been already open for 2 1/2 hours. IV is down and I've missed the highs and lows.

Once upon a time I used to wake up at 6:30 in the morning and trade. It was nice when I was making money - but when things went south in 2019, I hated getting up early only to see SP go down further. I decided not to do that again.

Anyway, even if I were to get up at 6:30 - I'm still so sleepy, I can rarely figure out whats happening and trade without making mistakes (like trading in the wrong account or buying instead of selling !).

ps : Do you use the daily trading support/resistence levels any of the TA guys publish ? I've wondered about using those ...

For eg. today support is at 159.57 and resistance at 164.42. Would you wait for 164 to sell calls (or buy back puts) and the other way round at 159 ? Today's trading range has been 159.65 to 162.95.

1683224794055.png

Last edited:
One interesting point is that people on the east coast have an advantage in this. By the time I'm looking at stocks in the morning after getting kids ready for school etc is 9 AM (12 PM EST) - the market has been already open for 2 1/2 hours. IV is down and I've missed the highs and lows.

Once upon a time I used to wake up at 6:30 in the morning and trade. It was nice when I was making money - but when things went south in 2019, I hated getting up early only to see SP go down further. I decided not to do that again.

Anyway, even if I were to get up at 6:30 - I'm still so sleepy, I can rarely figure out whats happening and trade without making mistakes (like trading in the wrong account or buying instead of selling !).

ps : Do you use the daily trading support/resistence levels any of the TA guys publish ? I've wondered about using those ...

For eg. today support is at 159.57 and resistance at 164.42. Would you wait for 164 to sell calls (or buy back puts) and the other way round at 159 ? Today's trading range has been 159.65 to 162.95.

View attachment 934556

It really sucks being a trader on the west coast. When I have too much on the line or the stock is really volatile, I just can't sleep past 6:30 am. A lot of times my morning trades are bad anyway and it would have been better to stay asleep.

Started to roll 160c to 165c for next week and 162.50p to 157.50p. The SP is actually right around where I want it to expire this week - but that also means I'm NTM on all positions and they're retaining too much value for a satisfying close. I kind of want to hold some til expiration but it would also be nice to sleep past 6:30 tomorrow.

I wish I could just fast forward to Friday close every week and then just deal with any losing positions - it's the watching all week and worrying about the stock taking off in either direction that's the most stressful.

I wish I could just fast forward to Friday close every week and then just deal with any losing positions - it's the watching all week and worrying about the stock taking off in either direction that's the most stressful.
You probably already know this but when I find myself stressing and worrying about a position, I find it means I sized too much and I reduce size at next opportunity to where I feel more comfortable.

It really sucks being a trader on the west coast. When I have too much on the line or the stock is really volatile, I just can't sleep past 6:30 am. A lot of times my morning trades are bad anyway and it would have been better to stay asleep.

Started to roll 160c to 165c for next week and 162.50p to 157.50p. The SP is actually right around where I want it to expire this week - but that also means I'm NTM on all positions and they're retaining too much value for a satisfying close. I kind of want to hold some til expiration but it would also be nice to sleep past 6:30 tomorrow.

Opposite issue in Europe where the markets are still open while I'm wanting to go to bed...

Try trading from the opposite side of the world!

Markets currently open 11.30pm to 6am but sometimes of the year its 1.30am to 8am. I'm mostly daytrading at the moment. Which means watching the ticker intently for the first half of trading and often right through the night. It's rough enough now but I'm planning to go back to doing some regular work soon and that will become a real juggle.

How do you interpret this?

How to sell puts into this rally if you're afraid it's a bull trap: wait for 170. If we see 170, then it's not a bull trap. Then wait for a pullback to 165 before selling puts aggressively.
Thanks for the idea. I'll look to open a new sell call when it comes close to 170, and roll my -c160 on the pull back.