Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QTA levels for today + commentary NFA

1704380200841.png

1/5

1704380080130.png

1/12

1704380123778.png

1704380144569.png

June 2026 opened on the options chain in case anyone missed it.

View attachment 1005779

Only goes up to $490 👀
Why is that?

View attachment 1005780
"They" already decided what the SP will be at that point... I notice they adapt over time, add more as the price changes, even split from $5 increments to $1, sometimes 50c

Nice to see a bit of fight back in the markets today, no idea where we'll end up, but it makes a change from what we've been seeeing recently

I have put in a very optimistic buy order to close-out half of those -p270's, but needs to be $248 to hit, which I think is unlikely today, but you never know, a bit of short-squeeze... hope springs eternal!

"They" already decided what the SP will be at that point... I notice they adapt over time, add more as the price changes, even split from $5 increments to $1, sometimes 50c

The highest one for January 16, 2026 (the previous one) goes up to $510 and pays $19.25=$529.25.
The highest for June 2026 is $490 and pays $28.00=$518, even though it's 6 months later.

Hmmm...

• Informative
Reactions: SpeedyEddy
Do you know if it's based on anything? One would think 6 months more of time should have higher strikes and pay more premium too.
I couldn't find it in a short Google / ChatGPT session but they look at, among other things, the trading range of the underlying / its volatility. More strikes and incremental strikes can and are being added over time during the lifetime of the expiration. So if TSLA goes to ATH in the next 2 years, they'll add additional (higher) strikes so you can make OTM bets.

Also if you have the right connections you can call them and ask for additional strikes to be created

The highest one for January 16, 2026 (the previous one) goes up to $510 and pays $19.25=$529.25.
The highest for June 2026 is $490 and pays $28.00=$518, even though it's 6 months later.

Hmmm...
I think if you call your broker and ask them to ask the powers-that-be to offer different strike prices, there's a better-than-you-think chance they'll expand their offering; at least it's not as crazy as trying to get a marker maker or exchange to budge and do almost anything else for you.

Reactions: Jim Holder
I think if you call your broker and ask them to ask the powers-that-be to offer different strike prices, there's a better-than-you-think chance they'll expand their offering; at least it's not as crazy as trying to get a marker maker or exchange to budge and do almost anything else for you.

I called TD Ameritrade and they said the clearing house has a certain amount of strikes they load into a new date and it's based on current trading price, hence the max out for 6/2026 is $490 even though the earlier one 1/2026 (6 months earlier) maxes out at $510. Not sure this makes sense since the $510 has been there for a long time and TSLA was down in the 210-220's when they added it IIRC. Either way, they said they'll put in a request to the clearing house to add strikes and said I should check the chain next week to see if more were added.

Cool stuff!

Nice! So -C280 06/21/24 @$18.55 here should be a decent risk, BTC in the pits of April/May, correct?
(NFA of course)
I'd do a combination of short FOTM calls + long puts in case ER is spectacular. This is looking like the middle of May this year, when things were starting to look bleak but out of nowhere a barrage of news hit. I'm not saying it's going to shoot up like it did in May, but if we have a spectacular ER, it may change the direction just enough to avoid a crash.

I'd do a combination of short FOTM calls + long puts in case ER is spectacular. This is looking like the middle of May this year, when things were starting to look bleak but out of nowhere a barrage of news hit. I'm not saying it's going to shoot up like it did in May, but if we have a spectacular ER, it may change the direction just enough to avoid a crash.
Spectacular ER is a long shot with the already known PD, unless the Margin rose dramatically.
Perhaps Elon won't be a downer this time?