Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Juice in TSLA or rest of the market for that matter.

Laddered into CC's around here ($241-242):
-C272.50 1/19 @1.00
-C280 3/15 @7.75
-C300 3/15 @4.50
-C350 7/19 @8.00
-C490 6/2026 @28.00 (for funzies; will BTC at next visit to 22x or below)

Lightened up on -P290 9/20's too.

Closed these scalps from earlier today here for $4,180 for a few clicks in the AM pop and a few in the PM fade (no calluses :p). I'll take that any day. Going flat is good for sleep too ;- )

I like how TSLA is basing around here and the chance that it'll try for $245-$246 at some point tomorrow where I'll STO a CC set again.

1704396818173.png

I'm still holding:
-P290 9/20
-P250 1/2025
+C150 12/2025 (I have some wash-sale loses against this position from 2023 that allow me to take gains this year for "free" (I have $0.00 tax liability for 2023), so I'm riding a few for tax-free gains.

Closed these scalps from earlier today here for $4,180 for a few clicks in the AM pop and a few in the PM fade (no calluses :p). I'll take that any day. Going flat is good for sleep too ;- )

I like how TSLA is basing around here and the chance that it'll try for $245-$246 at some point tomorrow where I'll STO a CC set again.

View attachment 1005879

I'm still holding:
-P290 9/20
-P250 1/2025
+C150 12/2025 (I have some wash-sale loses against this position from 2023 that allow me to take gains this year for "free" (I have $0.00 tax liability for 2023), so I'm riding a few for tax-free gains.
Want to clarify that you sold the 1/2026 510 Strike this morning and bought them back this afternoon for $500 profit on just 10?

Do you know if it's based on anything? One would think 6 months more of time should have higher strikes and pay more premium too.
It's demand-driven the same as share prices, they don't preset them, it's down to the Bid/Ask - that's how we bought the midpriced LEAPS in September 2019 for $1 and three months later they were 270x higher 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Jim Holder
I'd do a combination of short FOTM calls + long puts in case ER is spectacular. This is looking like the middle of May this year, when things were starting to look bleak but out of nowhere a barrage of news hit. I'm not saying it's going to shoot up like it did in May, but if we have a spectacular ER, it may change the direction just enough to avoid a crash.
If automotive margins have improved at all then that alone might be enough even if EPS isn't a big beat

If automotive margins have improved at all then that alone might be enough even if EPS isn't a big beat
Again, I'm not saying ER will crash the stock. How many times do I have to repeat it?
This is me responding to @Jim Holder on his question regarding taking a directional bet, what I'd do if I was betting against the stock.
When I turn bearish, you're going to hear about it. I'm not, yet.

i thought CC means selling calls, when you own stocks ?
You can also sell short against long positions, although the rules vary a bit by broker the basic is that the short call is at a higher strike than the long up to, but not after the long expiration - essentially these form spreads or diagonal spreads if the espiry dates differ

But it's not as simple as it sounds, the Delta on the closer expiry is much higher, so the value will move faster and it's easy to get into trouble, unlike share covered calls, where the share always has a Delta of 1 and will move more than the derivative

Reactions: BornToFly

Jim - are all those covered via shares or LEAPs? any that arent could go bad very quickly

Again, I'm not saying ER will crash the stock. How many times do I have to repeat it?
This is me responding to @Jim Holder on his question regarding taking a directional bet, what I'd do if I was betting against the stock.
When I turn bearish, you're going to hear about it. I'm not, yet.
I'm not saying the ER will crash the stock either, or pop it, we have zero idea what will happen, I've lived through enough Tesla earnings to know better than to predict the stock price the day after, and have the scars to prove it 😬

No, was rather a general comment... I don't really follow all these TA predictions - I read them, throw them into the pot, but in the end, for better or worse, trade entirely on my own ideas as to what might happen

How do you manage in a situation where the price goes against you, like say after you opened the trade the stock goes up gradually and ends up at $245
If that happens I wait for the inevitable fade (even a few days/weeks if necessary) and/or roll up and out any caught positions for credit. If I can't, I let it get called away, I'm okay with that too.

Because I'm VERY careful and conservative with choosing strikes and DTE before I STO a position, while keeping pulse on TSLA's mood + ebb and flow of the day/week, I've had to roll a position very seldom (I've been quite burnt in the May/June 2023 run and learnt my lesson). On most days I can count on TSLA giving me $2-$3 moves which is enough for me. Any more is simply a bonus.

In general I'm experimenting with different dates and strikes but eventually I'm aiming for larger qty of contracts on a smaller set of dates. Need more time and real-world practice to flesh it out.

I also try to keep a qty of long-dated -C and -P contracts active all the time to capture the real big swings TSLA gives us 2-3 times a year.

Last edited: