Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday's contract moves ... 11k and 9k at c225 and c232.5, increase at p210, equal interest increase at 200 strike.

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 9.54.36 AM.png

rolled 1/19 -p215/+p175 to 1/26 -p210/+p170 for a $2.35 credit , plan is to keep rolling for credit and strike improvement , either or.
Good credits rolling to 1/26 because of ER increased IV. Don't expect the same the following week if the -P210 ends up ITM next week....

Great thread guys. I am looking into starting this at some point. I have read though that buy and hold is superior to this in the long run, but I guess you guys aren't writing options that covers all your shares so if the stock price rockets you aren't missing out when you get allocated in the case of writing a stock covered call?

Reactions: WattsHappening
Great thread guys. I am looking into starting this at some point. I have read though that buy and hold is superior to this in the long run, but I guess you guys aren't writing options that covers all your shares so if the stock price rockets you aren't missing out when you get allocated in the case of writing a stock covered call?
You can write against all you shares. It just depends on how fast the SP rises. If you sell CC for Jan 2025 with 350 strike, and the SP ends up at 400, you can roll your 350 calls to Jan 2026 to 450 or so without paying anything. Then if the SP is 500 in Jan 2026, you would roll to 600 in Jan 2027. Of course if the SP goes to 1,000 in one year, you are a little more screwed, but how likely is that at this point....?

sorry, buy and hold a.k.a. HODL is not superior

if u bought stock 3 yrs ago on Dec 7, 2020 (share price 213.91), your grand total profit is 0.

You can write against all you shares. It just depends on how fast the SP rises. If you sell CC for Jan 2025 with 350 strike, and the SP ends up at 400, you can roll your 350 calls to Jan 2026 to 450 or so without paying anything. Then if the SP is 500 in Jan 2026, you would roll to 600 in Jan 2027. Of course if the SP goes to 1,000 in one year, you are a little more screwed, but how likely is that at this point....?
Thanks, I see, I thought of doing monthlies rather than leaps. But with leaps you can roll easier. Nice way to earn income on your shares while waiting for a dividend to be instituted.