Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
probably taking a prolonged break now because some people may poke him with an "I told you so". Even though the drop has nothing to do with the compensation request.

Hopefully we’ll find out from him soon enough!

I think everybody here is mature enough to welcome him back without any ribbing 😎

I’m not knowledgeable enough to opine on any of this other than to say that unhooking the shares from a dropping share price—by selling them—keeps the cash as stable margin support while the SP keeps falling. Of course the risk is getting back in at the right time as we all well know.

Personally I plan to cut 50% of my longs if we lose $180 and the rest if we close below $173. To quote one of Elon’s favorite words, it’s a “money furnace” to stay in shares as price craters.

So if you go to cash and keep the cash in the account, at least it’s not diminishing as margin support as the SP keeps dropping. You probably already know this, but I thought to share anyway in case not.
Yes, I know this well. The scary thing is selling 9,000 shares, you plan on keeping until SP 1,000, at 180 and having the SP run on you without ever coming back to 180....

Reactions: CHGolferJim
New plan -

Before ER, I had sold 1,000 shares at 207ish. Obviously those are easy to buy back when the SP goes up because there is such a big gap to get there. What I want, if the SP drops, is a nice gap from where I sold to where the SP is. So I will buy 100X 180 Puts for Feb 9th. (or 175 strike if we open down tomorrow). Obviously they are a little expensive, but I can pay for those with 2 weeks of weekly 350X CCs. Once I buy them, if I roll the Puts with a week to go, it is usually $2 or less to roll a contract (so I can keep them alive for as long as I need). So I can keep rolling for a while by selling CCs to pay for it. I can go without CC income for a month. If the SP drops to 170 or lower, I exercise the Puts and now have a nice gap from my share sell price of 180 and what ever the SP is at. Now it can go its drop to 150 or lower and my margin will be fine. If the SP gets low enough, I can buy cheap 180 Calls to get shares back if there is a rebound.

I hate wasting money buying Puts, but in this case now I think I need to in order to avoid larger losses.

Edit: If my March 170/195 ends up ITM, I'll just pay to roll it to January..., AGAIN! Nothing like 3 years to get rid of an ITM BPS

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC
Yes, I know this well. The scary thing is selling 9,000 shares, you plan on keeping until SP 1,000, at 180 and having the SP run on you without ever coming back to 180....
100% agree. I’m in the same boat. It definitely requires watching the market carefully.

I wonder if a rule-based automatic order set in place to buy back in at a certain threshold may work as a safety catch, so if it runs back over $180 it triggers a buy 🤷‍♂️

100% agree. I’m in the same boat. It definitely requires watching the market carefully.

I wonder if a rule-based automatic order set in place to buy back in at a certain threshold may work as a safety catch, so if it runs back over $180 it triggers a buy 🤷‍♂️
Unfortunately the SP will usually go back and forth over what ever price you pick. Death by 1,000 cuts as you keep buying and selling with a small loss over and over. I can never seem to sell right before the big runs down....

Unfortunately the SP will usually go back and forth over what ever price you pick. Death by 1,000 cuts as you keep buying and selling with a small loss over and over. I can never seem to sell right before the big runs down....

You’re prolly right. I got lucky the one time selling at $223 and buying back at $212 which turned out to be the bottom then, but I also remember once chasing back and forth during an earlier time and got chopped up for $9k. It was so frustrating and upsetting. Which is probably why it only plays to attempt this at major channel bottoms (like $177-$173). But then again, they could overshoot down and pop back up. Sux that there’s no easy way!

You’re prolly right. I got lucky the one time selling at $223 and buying back at $212 which turned out to be the bottom then, but I also remember once chasing back and forth during an earlier time and got chopped up for $9k. It was so frustrating and upsetting. Which is probably why it only plays to attempt this at major channel bottoms (like $177-$173). But then again, they could overshoot down and pop back up. Sux that there’s no easy way!
If you wanted to sell shares at 185 on Friday, and buy them back every time it went back above 185, you probably would have bought and sold over 30 times. Because the trades take time to settle the cash, I don't think the brokerage would even let you (you would probably run out of intraday buying power), although I admit I've never tried.

Edit: If you had sold at 186.60, you would have been golden....

Reactions: Jim Holder
Weird. Anyone see that random repost from @dl003 at 4:38pm? The one right after Jim’s post.

IMG_6404.png

$187.50 is a super level this week with much GEX confluence, we can expect that level to be one with a lot of interest. Keep an eye on it.

Also this is not a normal week as it is an FOMC and has BIG TECH earnings. Trying to forecast a range for the week is usually difficult and this is the where anything can happen, is more likely to happen so expect the unexpected. I try to not even take that many positions on a week like this, or trade small and take it one day at a time.

From recent years the market is usually very choppy today and finished the week green.

1706537783300.png

Would you guys be buying 180P for next week?
I'm starting to think my fear is affecting me.....

Edit: Screw it. I did it. 80X @ 3.84. +180P for Feb 9th
Buying them could be smart, but FWIW, I just STO 200x TSLA240202P180 CSPs. At first glance I thought I might’ve sold you the puts you purchased, but then I noticed that you’ve got an extra week of protection.