Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1708544966792.png

I don't know what to make of NVDA sell off the last two days going into earnings in a few hours. Is it a case of "somebody knows something," or is it just scared investors taking some profits...?
I suspect it's profit-taking and re-risking, from everything I've read, Nvidia sales are only going up right now, if you want to be part of the AI revolution, they're pretty much the only option until the others catch up

I already resigned myself yesterday to letting my -p700's run, looks like there's a free weekly roll down to -p680 if needed, but just reselling -p700's might be interesting, will see how it shakes-out after the IV-crush

I suspect it's profit-taking and re-risking, from everything I've read, Nvidia sales are only going up right now, if you want to be part of the AI revolution, they're pretty much the only option until the others catch up

I already resigned myself yesterday to letting my -p700's run, looks like there's a free weekly roll down to -p680 if needed, but just reselling -p700's might be interesting, will see how it shakes-out after the IV-crush
I wonder how much of it is retail selling puts as well. Retail percent of option trading has been increasing over the last few months.

I should have waited until today for my NVDA IC play. Already down 10% this week going into earnings. My 550 strike Puts are now closer than I would like.
Isn't it always the same, IV ramps all the way up to earnings day?

Indeed today I could have opened July +p600 / weekly -p680 for net zero, as opposed to the -p700 last week

But then I really did not expect this sell-off either, so you never know, eh?

TSLA likely to face some pressure from the absolutely disastrous results from both Rivian and Lucid.

In reality, TSLA should be up since we are seeing Tesla killer after Tesla killer fall behind 🤷‍♂️. They're literally prove to everyone, one by one, that no one can actually compete with them when it comes to EV's. Tesla still has further margin it can give away to push their competitor's margins even more negative.

Last edited:
Saw this NVDA headline on CNBC and X ...to shake up the algos ( & I think it did for a bit ... price dropped to $646 and came back up)

$NVDA #NVDA$SPX Earnings: $5.15 adjusted per share. That may not compare with the $4.64 adjusted per share expected Revenue: $22.10 billion. That may not compare with the $20.62 billion expected

spoof and then back .... it's a crooked mans game ...

... BEATS top and bottom line should be what it is :) I thought I will have to manage my long Calls with losses , but guess I need to decide when to close :) ..maybe more if they announce split or dividends ...

+ right now SMCI is piggy backing on NVDA at 2X beta ... maybe buy some PUTS again 🤔 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Plaid
Looks like a very healthy Nvidia BEAT, now whether that's as big a beat as people want, is another matter...

Quite interning watching the ticker when you only have a small, hedged position at stake

NVDA went from an eye-watering -$28 candle down to $645, to green +$51 candle to $725, now trading around $715-$725 area.
Imagine catching the knife and scalping $645 to $725 lol. Not for me but I'm sure some tried.

In a weird bit of reverse psychology, and to take advantage of just how consistently wrong I've been for awhile now, I decided to try something out.

I just went and figured out what cash secured put position I would open earlier this morning - position size, strike, expiration. And then instead of selling that position, I bought it. So I just added +p180 for next week expiration, and so far ahead 25%. My hope / intent with this position, which at this point is in the "try something out and see how the type of trade works for me", is to otherwise approach it they way I approach other positions, looking for a desirable and aggressive early close.

My version of an early close is still best measured at a daily scale (I'm way short of making day trades on a routine basis), but I'm wanting to see if that different mind set actually works out for me.

EDIT to add: I did this with a put position instead of call as I've got a much stronger bias towards down than up.

After all - if I can be wrong consistently enough, then that is tradeable! Really, really not advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: MikeC
As I am positive on NVDA ER I took advantage of the drop and closed my -C1300 jan '23 for a $0.20 profit only, because I don't like the risk of waiting long to close on a profit.( Did not think it would be so much under stress, so there could be a huge pop tonight AH especially after this sell-off, today.
(Maybe I will buy a cheap call for next week or so, if available, but IV will be sky high for that I guess)
Other than normal I did NOT put my money where my mouth is (except for closing that -C1300) which I regret a little bit, but tomorrow IV for next week will drop like a stone, so any bought OTM call will likely not grow too much compared to today, only the ATM an DITM. But I am glad I added shares of SOFI, PLTR today at least. Looks like we can earn a lot again wit SMCI tomorrow and TSLA will attack 200 pretty sure.

Reactions: DaBooster
There's a ton of new functionality in V12 of FSD in addition to it just performing all of the existing functionality much better. I'm quite surprised by the leap I'm seeing. Is it perfect? Not at all. But the leap from latest V11 to V12 and rate of release updates(Elon already mentioned there's a 12.3 coming quite soon) is quite bullish.

V12 is the one thing that makes me quite unsure of how I play options during the middle and 2nd half of this year. The Chatgp moment could happen this year for the stock and I would sure like to have exited my CC positions before that happens.

I track FSD progress like a hawk nowadays because it's the only thing that I think would really change the trajectory for TSLA for 2024. I don't think auto sales, Cybertruck are going to cause it. And the Shanghai Megapck factory opening up a quarter late kinda pushes off Energy making a big impact in the 2nd half of 2024.
I think Model 2 will have an impact and could be revealed this year…if prompted.

NVDA went from an eye-watering -$28 candle down to $645, to green +$51 candle to $725, now trading around $715-$725 area.
Imagine catching the knife and scalping $645 to $725 lol. Not for me but I'm sure some tried.
Bought at 668 and sold at 694.

Best part is I got to feel stupid in both directions. 😜 :rolleyes: