Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yoona , I have a funny siuation . i have 5000 shares in my IRA account, now i cannt do any CC because of the law pemiums and if i sell at low target price , they may get assighned. In my taxa ble account i have 1500 ahres with unit cost of $76.00. Here my problem is CC gives less premiums. If the target price is low shares may get assigned and will create huge capital gains. Thus i do only a few CC. How can i handle the situation. Thanks.last year i averaged about $20,000.this year very bad and february is a loss too.
In my IRA I have been selling more in waves, I have 2 weeks out, where I think we're safe, a month out, where I can roll and 2 and 3 months out where I'm ok being assigned. I'm listening here on ranges for the next few weeks and at this level, I'll be backing off on short term CC's. Very little upside and the downside, to Yoona's point is significant. If Tesla Energy (battery) sales double, the stock could have a big run, if the Model 2 starts rolling out of Texas ahead of schedule or some other announcement, the stock could have a big run. I'm bearish overall, but not a reason to risk all my upside on owned shares.

OH GREAT OMG, -p840 was super safe now it's super not

🤬 🤬 🤬

1709921150153.png

Mid-day update

+C175 @ 3/15/2024 is the most dominant contract today.​

The contract has received $6.11M in premiums today

Today $2.93M have been spent on puts and $-4.53M have been spent on calls.

1709921015596.png

3/8 - Only puts left (turns $175 into support so MM don't have to pay out if it goes lower?)

1709921074385.png

3/15 - Turned put skewed

1709921098952.png

1709921296783.png

SpotGEX:

1709921345086.png

1709921362095.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Max Plaid
I hope it gets back to 900, but I hope you avoid that big a risk in the future. That is crazy risky without a lot of upside. I'm putting in an order for a share. now.
I'm just scared looking at how close they were and the sheered numbers of contracts.
Hope today pullback can alleviates some of those Contracts.

Pissed my pant for loosing couples hundreds this week.
Even Yoona with her FOTM BPS (100 wide) are feeling nervous with today dump.......

Good luck guys and please don't bet the house.

Reactions: dc_h
I'm just scared looking at how close they were and the sheered numbers of contracts.
Hope today pullback can alleviates some of those Contracts.

Pissed my pant for loosing couples hundreds this week.
Even Yoona with her FOTM BPS (100 wide) are feeling nervous with today dump.......

Good luck guys and please don't bet the house.
Closed out some more call spreads. These started life as put spreads and were fairly far ITM, got flip rolled into 195/225 call spreads for 3/22 expiration. Down to $3 or so, from probably $20 - I think we've got more down than up from here, but getting out of that position makes me happy. More of these still to repair - 165/195s.

Same-same with 180/210s expiring next week, these gone for 2.75 or so.

Leaves me with 165/195s for next week and 190/220s out in May.

Also closed the -200c opened yesterday for about 50%. Way more trading than I normally like to do, but while I still see lots of reason for downside, I'm also being extra special cautious about these spreads. All of them were at a 2/3rds buyout at one point, so having a 5-10% ending for them makes me ecstatic. I've had positions like these before where I keep holding on looking for that little bit more, and had them go back to being a disaster.

The current Mkt tends to run up a bit into CPI/PPI and retail sales.. but that leaves ONLY Monday. Also, Friday is OPEX quarterly expiration and QUAD witching. That tends to lead to a lot more vol than normal. Lots of repositioning will occur.

Following week is FOMC Mar rate decision (most likely no change)

NVDA: being very long and short calls, I’ll take this pull back - but damb a $200B move in a DAY is pretty spectacular.

Last edited:
The current Mkt tends to run up a bit into CPI/PPI and retail sales.. but that leaves ONLY Monday. Also, Friday is OPEX quarterly expiration and QUAD witching. That tends to lead to a lot more vol than normal. Lots of repositioning will occur.

Following week is FOMC Mar rate decision (most likely no change)

NVDA: being very long and short calls, I’ll take this pull back - but damb a 200B move in a DAY is pretty spectacular.
I asked ChatGPT but no answer. Figured I ask the one and only TivoBoy.

What % will NDVA hit 1000 next week? :)

Trying to decide how I want to play a drop into the 150-160's over the next few weeks. I know some think TSLA has bottomed, I think we still have another leg down, with the combination of weak Q1 P/D numbers and a macro pullback over Fed's not lowering rates this month. As @tivoboy just pointed out, CPI/PPI comes out next week and really only a very cold inflation number would make me change my mind at this point in a pretty decent macro pullback incoming.

I have a decent amount of cash set aside that is being set aside to exercise some DITM LEAPS I bought way back in Q1 of 2023 and I've since rolled them into June 2026. I don't want to use a majority of my cash since I like to keep a buffer. I think what I'll likely do if we do go down into the 150's and especially if we fill that gap at 146 intraday, is sell cash secured Puts at a 120 strike price for end of this year and use the proceeds along with a little bit cash set aside to buy some OTM June 2026 LEAPS (but not far OTM, just like $200 strike).

If the stock keeps falling through 146, well I don't mind buying the stock at 120/share and it'll take less cash to buy X number of shares than at 146/share. Just a reminder of my situation, I'm expecting a pretty decent large cash infusion sometime in the next 1-2 years so I'm focused more on ATM or DITM LEAPS than buying outright shares at the moment to accumulate more shares in the future.

Last edited:
I can't believe I bit the spread bug again and lost.
How on Earth does NVDA go from 970 earlier today after going up 5%, to dropping 10% to be down 5% on the day?!?

I had promised myself I would never let spreads go into the money and roll them week to week. But the reversal happened so fast I was caught flat footed. Looks like I will have a $25 loss X 300.

This will cost me 4,300 shares of TSLA.

The worst part is having to look my wife in the eye and tell her.

That's it. I am never doing spreads again. Just CSP and CCs. I don't know how much I need to lose to learn my lesson. You guys are just smarter and/or more disciplined than I am.

I can't believe I bit the spread bug again and lost.
How on Earth does NVDA go from 970 earlier today after going up 5%, to dropping 10% to be down 5% on the day?!?

I had promised myself I would never let spreads go into the money and roll them week to week. But the reversal happened so fast I was caught flat footed. Looks like I will have a $25 loss X 300.

This will cost me 4,300 shares of TSLA.

The worst part is having to look my wife in the eye and tell her.

That's it. I am never doing spreads again. Just CSP and CCs. I don't know how much I need to lose to learn my lesson. You guys are just smarter and/or more disciplined than I am.
I've been following Nvidia all morning to keep an eye on your situation. Sorry man, Nvidia's trading activity today has been brutal for your positioning. Hang in there