Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s almost certain to be higher, as energy has risen nicely the past 60 days.. and OER (owners equivalent rent) which they think will come DOWN, I actually think it will be UP.. so buckle up.

Buying SPX/NQ puts/calls on VIX in anticipation?

Some are saying the Fed will look more at jobless claims than a bump in CPI. Also Powell: “We didn’t get rattled with occasional lower CPI numbers, we’re not going to get rattled with higher numbers.”

Buying SPX/NQ puts/calls on VIX in anticipation?

Some are saying the Fed will look more at jobless claims than a bump in CPI. Also Powell: “We didn’t get rattled with occasional lower CPI numbers, we’re not going to get rattled with higher numbers.”
For the last 15 years the fed HAS focussed on jobless claims since relatively speaking inflation was not an issue (they were more worried about true DEFLATION from 2008-2011).. but technically, the primary mandate (and this is true for most developed economies, like ECB, BOE and others is maintaining PRICE STABILTY. Even though OUR FED has a “dual mandate”.

Right now, the fight is inflation, and inflation only.. they are fine to have claims rise (which they haven’t) or wage change fall - which it sort of hasn’t, it’s still outpacing inflation but down from the boil of 2022-mid 2023 when wages changes were 8+%. That’s not good.

I’m not ADDING to short positioning, I’m already stocked up on my put structure for May/June, and $VIX vol futures. And i’m not YET taking off -cc on big tech or other high flying industrials and healthcare since they haven’t really come down enough. For some, like MSFT, AVGO, LLY, I think I’m going to have to work theta as much as ever.

China numbers today - didnt make a dent
China factory reduction - didnt make a dent
PD missed by 50K - barely make a dent
FOMC - didnt make a dent

CPI Hot - would that make a dent????

Some sorts of euphoria is happening now. Just holding onto my single +175C into next week.
Be careful as the force seem a lot stronger with this pump.

@dl003 - please share if you see anything new. Thanks.

FOMC - didnt make a dent

Some sorts of euphoria is happening now. Just holding onto my single +175C into next week.

TBF what it's not making a dent in is a stock price already down 30% YTD and much further down from ATHs

For the last 15 years the fed HAS focussed on jobless claims since relatively speaking inflation was not an issue (they were more worried about true DEFLATION from 2008-2011).. but technically, the primary mandate (and this is true for most developed economies, like ECB, BOE and others is maintaining PRICE STABILTY. Even though OUR FED has a “dual mandate”.

Right now, the fight is inflation, and inflation only.. they are fine to have claims rise (which they haven’t) or wage change fall - which it sort of hasn’t, it’s still outpacing inflation but down from the boil of 2022-mid 2023 when wages changes were 8+%. That’s not good.

I’m not ADDING to short positioning, I’m already stocked up on my put structure for May/June, and $VIX vol futures. And i’m not YET taking off -cc on big tech or other high flying industrials and healthcare since they haven’t really come down enough. For some, like MSFT, AVGO, LLY, I think I’m going to have to work theta as much as ever.

Thank you. I’m learning a lot from your posts and experience.

For those of us that are not yet decently positioned for May/June downside, what would you recommend re some modest say SPY/QQQ puts and VIX calls, or something else, etc, NFA of course.

Reactions: UncaNed
Thank you. I’m learning a lot from your posts and experience.

For those of us that are not yet decently positioned for May/June downside, what would you recommend re some modest say SPY/QQQ puts and VIX calls, or something else, etc, NFA of course.
I hate putting things out there, since my positioning was done a WHILE ago, but SPY 490 for June is less than 1%, one could make a nice spread +p490/-p475 for less than half that and be long ~ 8% down from here…for about a .05% outlay with a 15 point spread.

Last edited:
FOMC - didnt make a dent

It is a very confusing looking chart you can make a case for both <bottom in> and <puts cleaning before last drop>.
My read is take profit quickly. Next stop is 172. I intend to close some calls in this area.

How low are you thinking it will go? I have $820p's for this week.
I honestly don't know, I'm just going to keep rolling out a week and see what happens. My hope is that IV will increase when earnings get closer, right now it's super low for NVDA making rolling very tricky

Plan B is to just let them exercise and sell calls, or maybe 4x of them, then sell 4x straddles to maximise Theta

Will see...

SPY 490 for June is less than 1%, one could make a nice spread +p490/-p475 for less than half that and be long ~ 8% down from here…for about a .05% outlay with a 15 point spread.

Something like this?

1712690144905.png

Reactions: tivoboy
@Max Plaid at what point would you consider selling new TSLA short puts, like perhaps 10/18/24 -P170 @20.00 or -P150 @12.00, or too risky right now and better wait for Q2/Q3 (might be too late then too...)?
Personally I wouldn't sell monthly puts from here, this current rally is against everything we know right now, so I would personally be very cautious about that

I only sold the 4/26 -p165's today because I'd already established a -c165 position, the old "one side will win" strategy, if the SP stays up it's free money, if the SP dumps then I need to roll down an liberate my +p150's to print

I am struggling with the NVDA pessimism; is it a case of pessimism breeding more pessimism? Their Q1 should show significant growth QoQ and of course YoY. I get consolidation and all, but the negativity seems overblown on a two week horizon.
I don’t think it’s more pessimism, just less optimism. And other factors, more large whales saying they are going to engineer and fab their own special purpose chips/chipset and sw. A lot of NVDA pricing and bullishness for the past 1-1.5 years has been that they have a lock on supply for (from now) at LEAST 18-24 months. I don’t buy that anymore, demand and sales will grow, but I think others will have capable chips in 24 months for at least SOME of either the LLM tasks, or the more focussed inference.

Man hate the feeling of a trade seeming so obvious. So far the stock has defied logic but you gotta assume a sell off is coming either off of cpi print tomorrow or earnings.

I know I should be doing some shorter term trades to take advantage of a dip into the 140's or possibly lower. Even a dip back to the low 160's. But that feeling of it being such an obvious trade makes me queasy.

I'm trying to decide what to do with my 170CCs for Friday. I'm planning on rolling to 4/26. Do I roll to 170 for lots of premium and hope the SP comes back down after ER, or roll up as much as possible?

I will wait until Friday and go from there. I would rather not lose these shares.... (I guess that means I roll up as high as possible and don't worry about lost premium).

Edit: It seems like Cybertruck deliveries/VIN assignments are on hold, probably from a bad part (several trucks have needed to be towed after only a few miles). The VIN tracker doesn't show any new VIN assignments for the last two weeks or so, and many waiting for delivery from older VIN assignments.

Man hate the feeling of a trade seeming so obvious. So far the stock has defied logic but you gotta assume a sell off is coming either off of cpi print tomorrow or earnings.

I know I should be doing some shorter term trades to take advantage of a dip into the 140's or possibly lower. Even a dip back to the low 160's. But that feeling of it being such an obvious trade makes me queasy.

So true. The strong inflows and relative strength is surely odd. There’s something going on under the hood that’s not clear yet. Tough to position for other than to be extra conservative on trades for both sides (i.e., sit on hands) which is not easy to do. Maybe that’s what “they” want, muddy the waters and then play with us.

Will we possibly get a reprieve until August?

I'm trying to decide what to do with my 170CCs for Friday. I'm planning on rolling to 4/26. Do I roll to 170 for lots of premium and hope the SP comes back down after ER, or roll up as much as possible?

I will wait until Friday and go from there. I would rather not lose these shares.... (I guess that means I roll up as high as possible and don't worry about lost premium).

Edit: It seems like Cybertruck deliveries/VIN assignments are on hold, probably from a bad part (several trucks have needed to be towed after only a few miles). The VIN tracker doesn't show any new VIN assignments for the last two weeks or so, and many waiting for delivery from older VIN assignments.
I decided to stick with the -c165's I opened own Friday, just rolled to 4/26 to grad the high IV and straddled with puts the same expiry

As I mentioned above, I'm more worried about the puts in the event of a dump than the calls, but will deal with what comes - in the case of the puts, they're both cash-covered and forming a calendar diagonal with July +p150's, so lots of scope for rolling-down

For the upside, I figured if it stays up then I'll either roll out the -c165's to September -c210's, something like that, another possibility is to double them up for September -c240's -> these would be written against +c200 LEAPS and Jan +c300's - in the case that the SP pops up to the mid 200's, I would be happy to offload the +c200 LEAPS, for a LOT of cash, then manage the remaining short calls, would have a lot of cash to cover any margin needs in that case anyway

Preference, of course is a retracement back to 165 after earnings, max profits, then it can dump hard, like it should!!