Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode and 'low' battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I parked tonight at a public charger with 98km of range and despite being plugged in the car wouldn't let me enable Sentry mode...wtf? I'm plugged in, so it shouldn't lock me out.

Luckily at around 103km the battery turned green and I could turn it on, but that's crazy. You also can't remote start climate when battery is orange. I get why, but it also seems excessive...especially when plugged in there should be no reason to lock out starting Sentry mode.

You can't engage Sentry or climate under 20% battery. Even if you're plugged in, the conditions still exist in case you lose power, the charge rate is too low that you may not gain enough charge with the extra constant power draw the car is using, etc.
I get the 'why', but still argue 20% is too high a threshold. With sentry on the car draws about 250-300W. 20% battery is about 15kwh. That can run sentry for around 50-60 hours. You should be able to run sentry down to at least 10% IMO.

Climate can pull a lot, I get that. But again, it takes a lot to draw 15kwh. Climate going full blast for 2 hours in -20c probably wouldn't even do that since the car would get hot and is somewhat insulated so the heater won't be pulling max power for the full time.

If plugged in you should always be able to to run both (assuming you are drawing at least 3-6 kW)...at least those are the design choices I would have made ;)

Semantics because it is already like that. But that's how I would roll :)

Last edited:
Sentry mode drains ~30km over a work day. Close to 5kWh - that could mean a tow o_O if you're really pushing it. I could see why they set the limit to 20% to avoid people being stranded and calling Tesla for towing.

They could offer a "waiver" confirmation and log it so you can't rabblerabble when the car dies on the side of the road because you wanted to enable sentry mode under 20%. Like a verbal recording/confirmation with the Right Steering Button to confirm override - "Computer - confirm override to enable Sentry Mode, Alpha 2 6 Beta niner".

Sentry mode drains ~30km over a work day. Close to 5kWh - that could mean a tow o_O if you're really pushing it. I could see why they set the limit to 20% to avoid people being stranded and calling Tesla for towing.

They could offer a "waiver" confirmation and log it so you can't rabblerabble when the car dies on the side of the road because you wanted to enable sentry mode under 20%. Like a verbal recording/confirmation with the Right Steering Button to confirm override - "Computer - confirm override to enable Sentry Mode, Alpha 2 6 Beta niner".

Battery longevity management could also be a factor as going below 20% SOC for extended periods of time accelerates the degradation of the battery. Keeping your battery in tip top shape seems to be in Tesla's interest at this point in time.

Both good points. But when plugged in there should be no reason to disable sentry IMO; in fact when plugged in is the main time I want to have it on, because I'm likely out in the public and who knows what mischief may go on when I'm off doing 'stuff'. Like I said above, Sentry is basically idle draw on the car (around 300 W; its the same as just leaving the car on with no climate control running). From my testing, it causes around 2-3 km/hour of range loss, which correlates with the 300W estimate. Plus, the phantom losses which are always present are around 70W, so realistically sentry mode only should be adding around 250W of 'additional' drain on the battery. So I still think that it would take a very long time to drain from 100km down to nothing....plus

Having driving a 60km 'EV' and an '80km' EV for a combined 110,000 km I guess I just find it counter intuitive to think of having 100km (15 kWh) as 'low range' :)

On the battery longevity side of things, it just strikes me as odd that they would put such a restrictive limit, yet apparently dont care much about the phantom drain from Tesla's compared to other EV's. I'm 'losing' about 80km/week in phantom losses (dont plug in during the day, and I try and let the battery discharge to around 100km before I charge it back up to 90% again, so I can see how much I'm losing over a 2-3 day period and extrapolate that out over the week).....basically it amounts to almost a 'full charge' in a month and a bit. That's around 8 full charge cycles/year. I think Tesla's are rated for 1500 discharge cycles, so this means that over 10 years you are 'losing' 5% of the life of the battery just because of phantom losses. This is one of those strange things I've clearly never really come to peace with about owning a Tesla, hence my rant about it :confused:

Contrast this to my wife's Bolt, which I can leave for a week straight and not lose a single km in range, climate remote start works down to much less than 20% SOC, and there is no 'rule' about not charging the battery to 100% (it even says in the manual its ok to do so, but that regen will be limited until ~ 95%). I really, really wish there was a way to put my Tesla into 'coma mode' and not talk back to mothership, etc when its parked during the day/in my garage at night. Its not about 'saving money' on the electricity, but as an engineer/designer it just doesn't make sense to always essentially leave some sub systems in the car on. This will be a point of weakness for Tesla when trying to 'convince' someone that its 'ok' to lose 15-20% of your charge/week. Its like filling a gas tank with a slow, steady leak in it.

That was admittedly a bit of a side bar/rant from the original thread; but I started the thread so its ok to de-rail myself :rolleyes:

You can't engage Sentry or climate under 20% battery. Even if you're plugged in, the conditions still exist in case you lose power, the charge rate is too low that you may not gain enough charge with the extra constant power draw the car is using, etc.

I disagree with this. The car systems pull power directly from the power source and not from the battery while charging. Pulling slightly more for sentry is a non issue and it's up to the user to enable it or not.
The conditions do not still exist because people at Tesla are a bit smarter and will send you a notification telling you "Charging interrupted. Sentry mode will now be disabled to conserve battery".

If you're charging current is so low that having sentry mode on almost evens out incoming to currently used by the car in stand-by, then that's a defective charger, or probably a 110v in which case you just don't enable sentry mode.

I disagree with this. The car systems pull power directly from the power source and not from the battery while charging. Pulling slightly more for sentry is a non issue and it's up to the user to enable it or not.
The conditions do not still exist because people at Tesla are a bit smarter and will send you a notification telling you "Charging interrupted. Sentry mode will now be disabled to conserve battery".

If you're charging current is so low that having sentry mode on almost evens out incoming to currently used by the car in stand-by, then that's a defective charger, or probably a 110v in which case you just don't enable sentry mode.

I mean you can disagree all you want, that's not going to change how the system currently works.

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG and GtiMart
Winston Churchill + 401 @ 5:30pm meetup anyone?

Sentry Mode taking me down!

upload_2019-5-14_15-21-32.png

So, I'm happy to report that the latest software update 'fixes' this issue.

Got a notification today at work that sentry would be disabled due to low battery (wasn't plugged in).

But just parked at a station and was able to enable Sentry while plugged in, despite only being at 60km of range.

Seems like they listened... probably not to us here, but others must have taken similar issue to the over conservative disabling of Sentry while plugged in ;)

Screenshot_20190531-180657.png

I think the next improvement should be that sentry should automatically be re-enabled when plugged into a charger, especially superchargers. I arrived with about 15% at Mississauga supercharger & got a notice a few minutes later that charging was interrupted, realized that sentry Mode wasn't active in case there was any vandalism.

I think the next improvement should be that sentry should automatically be re-enabled when plugged into a charger, especially superchargers. I arrived with about 15% at Mississauga supercharger & got a notice a few minutes later that charging was interrupted, realized that sentry Mode wasn't active in case there was any vandalism.

It doesn't re-enable automatically, you have to do it on the app/TeslaFI/etc. I was at 80kms Friday night after arriving to Montreal and used the UMC to charge as the J1772 station was taken. It allowed me to enable sentry once plugged in like Pcons.

Bumping an old thread. Wife was out running errands today and after returning home, I went out to the garage and saw a nice big scratch and dent on the read quarter panel of my 6 week old M3. So, off I went to check the sentry videos and sure enough - sentry was disabled due to low battery so nothing was captured. There was nearly 100km of range remaining on my SR+. Add this to the fact that no alarm, etc was triggered. So now I'm stuck with the repair cost. Hopefully it can be done with paintless dent repair. There has to be a better solution than simply disabling a valuable security function like perhaps a low power mode or an alert for the driver asking if they want to disable it.

/rant

Reactions: 5JMJ
Bumping an old thread. Wife was out running errands today and after returning home, I went out to the garage and saw a nice big scratch and dent on the read quarter panel of my 6 week old M3. So, off I went to check the sentry videos and sure enough - sentry was disabled due to low battery so nothing was captured. There was nearly 100km of range remaining on my SR+. Add this to the fact that no alarm, etc was triggered. So now I'm stuck with the repair cost. Hopefully it can be done with paintless dent repair. There has to be a better solution than simply disabling a valuable security function like perhaps a low power mode or an alert for the driver asking if they want to disable it.

/rant
That stinks. Yeah, there should be some option to override the 100 km shut off of sentry. I get why they have it, but I also came from two PHEVs that were rated for 60km per charge and 80km per charge, and I did 98% EV driving over 110,000km split between those two cars....so to me 100km of range left is HUGE ;).

Drop the limit to 75 km of range (which still leaves around 12 kwh available) and let someone override it down to 50 km. That should still be fine for virtually everyone IMHO...

I can't believe there's still no override on this.

My battery just hit 20% and it turned off. I'm at a hotel where there is -literally- a fleet of Sueprchargers 50 feet away in the same parking lot (I'll be topping up in the morning, obviously). I'm fine to run Sentry all night, Tesla. Give me an override if I want one.

I can't believe there's still no override on this.

My battery just hit 20% and it turned off. I'm at a hotel where there is -literally- a fleet of Sueprchargers 50 feet away in the same parking lot (I'll be topping up in the morning, obviously). I'm fine to run Sentry all night, Tesla. Give me an override if I want one.
You can override this now. You have to re enable it in the app though, so if it drops below 20 overnight it will stay off until you re enable it. I think it shuts off at 5 or 10% again.

If you have superchargers that close, why not charge for 2 min to get to 25 or 30%?

Reactions: Vawlkus