Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode battery drain while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it me or does anyone else lose about 30miles of charge over night. i park in front of my house, so i know sentry mode is on but is there anything else i can do to save battery life? i usually turn of the heater and the radio before i get out of the car

Anyone also experience battery drain from sentry mode recently?
I didnt have this issue before updating to 2023.12.10 FSD beta build. I lost 3% in the first 50 minutes after parking my car and go to work. This is a huge issue and I unsubscribed FSD to hopefully jump back to the production batch software and hoping this will be resolved.
IMG_0709.jpg

Anyone also experience battery drain from sentry mode recently?
I didnt have this issue before updating to 2023.12.10 FSD beta build. I lost 3% in the first 50 minutes after parking my car and go to work. This is a huge issue and I unsubscribed FSD to hopefully jump back to the production batch software and hoping this will be resolved.View attachment 944229
Where do you get that screen?

Sentry Mode keeps the car awake, which uses ~200 watts. I don’t see how it’s possible to use 2.9% in 50 minutes, as that would be a 2,000 watt draw over that period of time on a SR+ Model 3, and higher on a car with a larger pack. Did your battery state of charge actually drop by 3% in that period of time or is this a bug/error in the energy graph?

Reactions: MP3Mike
is it me or does anyone else lose about 30miles of charge over night. i park in front of my house, so i know sentry mode is on but is there anything else i can do to save battery life? i usually turn of the heater and the radio before i get out of the car
Sentry Mode is the culprit. It keeps the car fully awake, which uses about 200 watts continuously, or 2 kWh over a 10 hour period.

You don’t need to turn off the heater or radio (how do you even do that?) before getting out. They turn off automatically when you get out and close the door.

(moderator note)

Thread title changed as "phantom drain" means its unidentified, but if sentry mode is on, we do know where the drain is coming from, so its not "phantom".

Note you do *not* have to turn off the heater or radio/sound system. Just leave the car and all that automatically turns off fairly quickly when all the doors are closed and you walk away. The radio will turn off instantly and the climate control after a bit more of a delay.

Sentry definitely has an effect and there are other things that can keep the car from doing a deep sleep. You might try turning it off Sentry mode one night to see if it fixes it? Depending on the battery temperature the state of charge also varies. So if it cools off a lot over night you will "lose" battery and then it consumes battery to warm it back up.

I like the suggestion by someone else about looking at the Energy Graph to investigate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
There's an option to turn off sentry while at home/work. They are right, car never goes to sleep. If you have a model 3 it's been posted all over to let the car sleep so battery mgmt system can scan all the batteries to figure out how much charge you have. It's been suggested to let it sleep for at least 6 hours or so

Thanx for all the info folks, since I live in san Francisco ( capital of break in's ) I'm going to suck it up and leave Sentry mode on. A month before I bought the Tesla three Prius on my block got their catalytic convertor cut out, all on the same night