Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode "favorites" geofencing size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a "favorite" location (a house) set where Sentry Mode is normally off. However, I often park the car 1.7 miles away (by circular road), but it's only 1000 ft away from the house in a straight line (and just 600 ft from the edge of the property to the car).

It seems Sentry mode assumes I'm still at the house when I'm parked in this public lot, and does NOT turn on automatically. I have to manually arm it each time I park at this lot. (I know, first world problems.)

Does anyone know if we can reduce the size of the geofence used to determine if you're in your "favorite" location? What is the actual size? Is it perhaps larger because it's a "favorite" location, and not my "home" location?

Note that the Tesla app correctly shows the car as being at a different address than the "favorite" when I'm parked in the lot.

Have you ever tried TeslaFi.com? It does cost $50 a year but you can have it turn on sentry mode based on a location. It might detect your location better than possible the tesla app. They also offer a free trial to see if this will work for you. TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger

Attachments

• Sentry_Mode_teslafi.PNG
    Sentry_Mode_teslafi.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Answer is, no, you can’t change the geofence. TeslaFi highly recommended. It also has new alerts for car left unlocked or windows left open, as well as a ton of other data and scheduling features. There is a thread here for discussion and users can open tickets on the TeslaFi site and get quick answers to issues.

Thanks lolder, 0.25 miles sounds like it's matching my experience. I agree it should be something closer to 100ft.

I'll look at Teslafi, or perhaps picking the neighbor one street over as a favorite. Or try to remember to turn in on manually each time!

I've got a "favorite" location (a house) set where Sentry Mode is normally off. However, I often park the car 1.7 miles away (by circular road), but it's only 1000 ft away from the house in a straight line (and just 600 ft from the edge of the property to the car).

It seems Sentry mode assumes I'm still at the house when I'm parked in this public lot, and does NOT turn on automatically. I have to manually arm it each time I park at this lot. (I know, first world problems.)

Does anyone know if we can reduce the size of the geofence used to determine if you're in your "favorite" location? What is the actual size? Is it perhaps larger because it's a "favorite" location, and not my "home" location?

Note that the Tesla app correctly shows the car as being at a different address than the "favorite" when I'm parked in the lot.

Have you tried moving the location of your home in a manner that no longer captures the public lot but still geofences you’re actual home?

Reactions: KerryOH
I've noticed the geofence is huge. I have Sentry mode set to not record at "home" only. I live a block from a pretty big shopping mall. Anywhere I park in the mall Sentry mode will not enable by default. up to at least half a mile away.

We find having large geofence useful. Car often parked in a big car park and 100ft, even 100m would be far too small for that otherwise sentry would depend on where you parked in the car park.

I personally wish geofence could be displayed and even better adjusted on the map for position and size. That would cover most peoples scenarios. Also, ability to have better granularity for sentry being active, ie be on if charging, off if not and ability to have not all favorites being treated in same way. I have some favorites I would want sentry on, but off for others.

A facebook response pointed me to re-review the user's manual. I hadn't read it since I got the car a year ago - before Sentry Mode was released.

Page 135: "Model 3 must be parked within 32 feet (10 meters) of a location listed as a Home, Work, or Favorite for Sentry Mode to recognize the location."

It looks like the manual is wrong in this case. VanillaAir_UK has it right - we should be able to adjust the geofence size. I can imagine a case where you'd want it smaller for your home, but potentially larger for your office (if it's a big parking lot - but then again you might want it on anyway at work!).

It is annoying that the Tesla app even shows a different address when parked (100 main street and 90 oak lane, for example). The car/app knows the address is different.