Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering whether I should enable this when I work out at the gym. All this stuff with lights and the screen saying "RECORDING" might annoy / scare people. Wish there was an option for stealth sentry mode.
In some areas people leave their wallet and phone in their car when they go to the gym, theves are aware of this. In such areas I would considor the gym lot a fair risk for break in.

I am very happy with Sentry mode. One thing to note is that it drains about the battery at a rate of 1 mi/hr (M3 LR battery). For most people who work a 9-5 schedule, it isn’t a big deal. My car gets parked at the airport for 3-4 days per week and the drain is much more noticeable and requires a little planning on my SOC on arrival to work. No big deal, but if you go on vacation for two weeks, it might be best to deactivate it or park where you can plug in.

I have a 512gb memory stick plugged in. Does sentry mode run in a loop like the dash cam and erase the old stuff or do I have to manually do it?

Does sentry mode run in a loop like the dash cam and erase the old stuff or do I have to manually do it?

From these forums and others, I'm hearing it just fills up and doesn't overwrite files automatically. So, you do have to manually delete the files. And, as I found out yesterday, just testing Sentry mode for an hour or so, the files/data adds up very quickly. Until they move the storage to a cloud-based option (hopefully), this means I won't be using Sentry mode often at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I'm looking forward to getting this on my X.

In terms of smash and grabs.. Will the car alarm deter thieves like those in the Bay Area that are brazenly just breaking windows and letting themselves in? It seems like if not, they'll eventually learn to grab the USB stick along with your laptop bag..

Reactions: Carl_P
... BTW, here's some info of TESLAFI updated on their change log with sentry mode.
  • Added sentry mode enable/disable to schedules.
  • Added sentry mode automatic activation upon location arrival at selected tagged locations.
  • Added default sentry mode activation time in settings->preferences->sentry mode.
  • Added sentry mode activation emails option in settings->preferences->sentry mode.
  • Added ability to enable sentry mode automatically when arriving at any untagged location in settings->preferences->sentry mode.
I just sent my wife's work location to always activate sentry mode.

Can you, or someone, help elaborate on this feature of setting Sentry via various activation option, vs just on/off via the mcu? I don't see how to set sentry with any of these features, or what to do. Unfamiliar with options via teslafi too -- i thought it just helped track and view usage/charge/trip data? Thanks.

Can you, or someone, help elaborate on this feature of setting Sentry via various activation option, vs just on/off via the mcu? I don't see how to set sentry with any of these features, or what to do. Unfamiliar with options via teslafi too -- i thought it just helped track and view usage/charge/trip data? Thanks.
See if I can help.

Sentry mode is on or off. The features is what Teslafi can offer to do about turning on or off sentry mode.

1, TF has a schedule where you can list things you want to control during a time and day of the week. I usually set the HVAC to come on at 4pm right near wife gets off work during M-F. Sentry mode is just another control option you can schedule
schedule.JPG

2. TF allows you to have known locations saved where you can select the below options. One of them is to activate sentry mode.
location.JPG

3. I haven't messed with this yet but under settings, you will see sentry mode option
settings.JPG

4. This is nothing more than receiving an email when SM is set.

Hope this helps.

Any idea if Sentry mode would record using the rear camera in the bear future? Would be nice.

Noticed some scratches, paint chips and small faint dent on the bumper. Argh. Wondering if someone backed into it but didn't have Sentry mode as I probably could have checked the side cameras.

Also Sentry only records once activated right and saved into the Saved folder. Noticed some recordings with no activity at all. Not sure what triggered the recording / Sentry activation.

I’ve had tesla dashcam for a while now and it has been working great. But if I remember correctly when setting the up there were limitations on the size of the USB stick. Well maybe not limitations so much as it can only utilize up to a certain size of space. I thought due to formatting in FAT 32 the largest that tesla could read was 32GB.
Does sentry mode change this somehow? So a much larger memory stick can be utilized?

Maybe it’s different on M3 vs SX. I do know my S is only USB 2.0

I thought due to formatting in FAT 32 the largest that tesla could read was 32GB.
Does sentry mode change this somehow? So a much larger memory stick can be utilized?

Maybe it’s different on M3 vs SX. I do know my S is only USB 2.0

I'm currently using a 128GB flash drive in my S. The 32 GB limit is on Windows native ability to format a FAT32 drive. You can download a 3rd party tool that will allow formatting larger drives with FAT32.

Reactions: Gt1948
We are using a 250 GB USB Stick for both Sentry and USB Music (209GB partition for music and the rest for Sentry and Dashcam). The problem is what happens when the TeslaCam folder fills up with Sentry videos so I'm looking for a wirelessWIFI solution to manage that folder and transfer files.

We are using a 250 GB USB Stick for both Sentry and USB Music (209GB partition for music and the rest for Sentry and Dashcam). The problem is what happens when the TeslaCam folder fills up with Sentry videos so I'm looking for a wirelessWIFI solution to manage that folder and transfer files.

Here is something that DocBrown suggested to me above that might help you and/or maybe he could suggest something:

Teslacam - dash cam with a usb drive that has wifi capabilities

One caveat, you have to manually enable wifi mode by pressing a button on the drive, and it only stays in wifi mode for a certain amount of time.

Thanks DocBrown!!!! How long is a 'certain amount of time'- half hour, 3 hours, a day? That way I'll know about when to check.

Just so you know, I don't have this stick yet, I've just gleaned information by searching on other posts.

Now I'm questioning whether the stick can enter wifi mode if it is plugged into an active usb port. It might be that either the car has to be off, or you have to unplug the stick from the usb port in order to enable wifi mode. I'm following this thread to see if anyone gives a definitive answer: SanDisk Connect

Also, the OP in that thread mentions that wifi mode will remain active for 'several hours'.

Reactions: RachH