Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sentry mode goes back to off everytime. How do I keep it on all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Sentry mode goes back to off mode everytime. How do I keep it on all the time? Also, the recording does not work any more. It worked when I bought the model X new.

For now, that's the way it is, according to a recent tweet from Mr. Musk, the option to have Sentry Mode always on and other scenarios will be addressed in a future update.
As for not recording, sometimes a file on the USB drive can be corrupt and cause this issue, you may have to reformat the drive.

Or your drive, likely not meant for dashcam use (but for photos, files and music) has become useless if you can’t reformat/erase drive. Flash memory has a limited lifetime of writes as flash is a destructive process. If you can’t reformat, you should be able to see when it stopped working by the last file date. Files before it quit will be viewable. Only good then if something you saved ie for an accident or car damaged. Otherwise time to toss and buy a new drive or microSD card and USB card reader for it.

Standard dashcams use microSD cards and those get replaced every so often as well. Just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
I bought a 256 GB Cruzer drive from Costco and formatted it to FAT 32 with my Mac, and plugged it in and it works fine. Also use a USB 3.0 hub to expand the USB capabilities and availability for USB in the front. I also use a 240 GB Classic iPod set up as a disk drive and have dropped my 20,000 MP3 files in it to play music as well. It is connected to a spare USB socket.

I took your advice and purchased the stats Tesla app, and you are right, it will automatically turn on the sentry mode when you leave the car, and does a lot more. It is going to take some study, there is a lot more to it, but it was a great suggestion!