Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a Mac user so not much direct help here. I can tell you from reading the threads on here that Windows users have reported needing to download a third party app to format, but being on an old version of Windows (7) maybe you still have that ability to use the utility in it. I know some change was made to formatting and FAT32 was no longer an option but can’t say when that change occured. Hopefully some will jump in now knowing your OS.

In the meantime you can use the search feature on TMC (I’d stick with the Model 3 forum area) and try searching by “FAT32 format Windows” or maybe specifically add the “ 7” to that. Once you’ve properly formatted it, pretty easy set up. The Model 3 manual spells out the steps and how to use TeslaCam and Sentry Mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigroo42
I’m a Mac user so not much direct help here. I can tell you from reading the threads on here that Windows users have reported needing to download a third party app to format, but being on an old version of Windows (7) maybe you still have that ability to use the utility in it. I know some change was made to formatting and FAT32 was no longer an option but can’t say when that change occured. Hopefully some will jump in now knowing your OS.

In the meantime you can use the search feature on TMC (I’d stick with the Model 3 forum area) and try searching by “FAT32 format Windows” or maybe specifically add the “ 7” to that. Once you’ve properly formatted it, pretty easy set up. The Model 3 manual spells out the steps and how to use TeslaCam and Sentry Mode.

FAT32 is still an option in all current versions of windows.

The problem is the native format utilities (in all versions) won't let you use it for any partition larger than 32GB.

Third party utilities will allow a windows box to format much much larger FAT32 partitions.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Correction: TeslaCam does keep recording after driving when you are parked. It's on all the time as long as you have TeslaCam active (camera icon with the red recording dot). I just checked my hour's buffer to confirm. Lots of minutes of my car parked at a restaurant while dining in the RecentClips folder. I think this might not have always been the case when it first came out but it most certainly is now.

Hmmm... I always understood that the TeslaCam would turn off when the car was not running, and that it would only continue to record footage if sentry mode was enabled. Does this mean that as long as you have a USB drive in the car with a \TeslaCam folder in the root, the car will never go to sleep since it's always recording footage even if sentry mode is disabled? Could that really be true? Is it a bug introduced in newer versions of the Tesla OS?

Ian

Hmmm... I always understood that the TeslaCam would turn off when the car was not running, and that it would only continue to record footage if sentry mode was enabled. Does this mean that as long as you have a USB drive in the car with a \TeslaCam folder in the root, the car will never go to sleep since it's always recording footage even if sentry mode is disabled? Could that really be true? Is it a bug introduced in newer versions of the Tesla OS?

Ian
No, you have it right. The original assertion was that sentry mode only recorded when an event happened and the correction should have been that the car records all the time while in sentry mode and only saves off recordings when an event happens.