Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode (Update: didn’t set up the proper folder, now working)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a memory stick working for some months. Then a few days ago it got full. I pulled off a bunch of Sentry mode videos and put it back in, but it keeps shutting off. A warning message said it wouldn't write fast enough. I'm going to reformat it and try again. It really shouldn't slow down.

In case people are aware, up to 32 GB, FAT32 is the default format for a flash drive. Above 32 GB Windows may format it with a different format type which the Tesla won't recognize. You may have to use third party software to format the flash memory. I haven't tried it, but you should be able to do this on a Linux machine or your cell phone.

The one thing I don't like about USB is how long the connectors are. In an environment where things can be bumped and shoved a USB connector sticking out means sooner or later the female connector will be broken. They could make the connector a lot shorter with the wire coming out parallel to the panel and there would be much less risk of damage. But they don't and PC USB sockets get broken every day. Not sure if the Tesla sockets are any stronger. Heck, most of these connectors are held in place by a bit of solder rather than any real mechanical connection. Ideally the flash drive should have a pocket it plugs into so it is protected.

Darn... still not working. I had a folder within a folder named TeslaCam; changed so that folder is now a stand alone. Going to give that a go.

is the drive formated to FAT32? How big is the drive? By default, USB drives greater than 32GB are not supported by Windows. You can use 3rd party tools to format the drive to FAT32, or some simple PowerShell "format /FS:FAT32 <Driveletter>:"

FYI, I have a 256GB (USB 3.1) drive formatted to FAT32 and works fine. Write speed is about 11MB/s not that it matters as USB 2.0 only supports up to 4MB/s.

is the drive formated to FAT32? How big is the drive? By default, USB drives greater than 32GB are not supported by Windows. You can use 3rd party tools to format the drive to FAT32, or some simple PowerShell "format /FS:FAT32 <Driveletter>:"

FYI, I have a 256GB (USB 3.1) drive formatted to FAT32 and works fine. Write speed is about 11MB/s not that it matters as USB 2.0 only supports up to 4MB/s.

Thank you. The drive was formatted to FAT32 and it is a 32 GB Cruzer ScanDisk.
* It is now working, after taking TeslaCam folder out of another folder.

I wonder if there is intel on just when it begins to record, and when it stops.

I'm sure it's just a typo, but to be clear Windows will support flash drives larger than 32 MB. Windows won't format a larger flash drive in FAT32.

The error message I got was that some speed around 4 MB/s was required and my flash drive was no longer running at that rate.