Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The catch 22 with video is that the police will say do not put it on social media since it will predudice the public and may prevent a production. But if you dont chances are they will not find anyone to prosecute in the first place.

I would be so mad:mad: glad you caught the muppet on sentry cam and the insurance will sort you out. It really is just beyond me why people do this. Vandalism, fly-tipping, littering...it riles me up.

I always make a habit of turning on sentry when I’m parked away from home and “pleased” to see it do its intended job.

The catch 22 with video is that the police will say do not put it on social media since it will predudice the public and may prevent a production. But if you dont chances are they will not find anyone to prosecute in the first place.

There was a video post on here a few months ago of some idiotic driving, it was forwarded to the police, they said they would prosecute and asked for O/P to take the video down (on social media) ... so maybe posting, originally, doesn't prejudice that.

Ugh, what a scumbag. The only positive thing really is your insurance covering the damage. Finding out his name and shaming him probably wouldn't do much, he doesn't look like someone that would care too much about that. I also doubt the police would do much, if the CPS did prosecute it would likely just be some community service which would be no punishment (or deterrent) :(

The fact that Tesla's have this capability is brilliant, if I brought any other brand new car and parked it in the same spot at the same time it would probably be vandalised and I would have no idea why and I'd probably feel like a victim. With this footage, it is really obvious that this was not a personal attack or anything, just some hole lashing out at whoever he can.

Actually that's a good point. Even if the police don't catch this guy (and I hope they do catch him), the technology does show that it is clearly some random attack by a drunk idiot (looks like he even does something similar on the Mercedes ahead), rather than something more sinister and personal, which I guess is of some comfort.

There was a video post on here a few months ago of some idiotic driving, it was forwarded to the police, they said they would prosecute and asked for O/P to take the video down (on social media) ... so maybe posting, originally, doesn't prejudice that.
There is no hard and fast rule but if a clip goes viral and gets picked up by the media so "everyone" has seen it then apparently this can be a problem so they may decline to prosecute since the defence can use it to get the case dismissed to public prejudice preventing a fair hearing or something like that. So they always ask you to take them down as a matter of policy.

Just need someone to invent a usb stick that has wifi & sim built in to transfer the data to Dropbox or similar.

@Jez013 Sorry to see and hear about what happened, hope the family & yourself are ok

I've been wondering this. As teslas become more popular how long before people who think they may be caught on sentry mode doing something start breaking windows to steal the USB drive to be on the safe side?
This guy was clearly too drunk/stupid but if you are breaking into cars anyway. people will quickly learn to take the usb drive won't they?

Terrible, while Churchill say it won't affect you, it is still a claim, and when it comes down to renewal it will hurt you unfortunately, although you will keep your no claims. I believe you need to pay your excess to. The more these things spread about Teslas the more likely it will put anyone off doing it, although this guy seems to be drunk, so maybe not.

Yep. No fault claims likely to up your future premium no matter.

Many years back, wife had her drivers door taken out whilst parked in a car park - other driver obviously was on hard lock and wasn't watching the front of their car. Result, a new drivers door but accepted as no fault, no claims were protected yet premium still went up following year due to accident. So these things get added onto premium based on claim history rather than onto NCD, so are passed between insurers as you need to declare claims within a certain numbers of years - plus its on their database anyway. No fault claim signifies higher insurance risk no matter. It may also affect resale value.

There is no hard and fast rule but if a clip goes viral and gets picked up by the media so "everyone" has seen it then apparently this can be a problem so they may decline to prosecute since the defence can use it to get the case dismissed to public prejudice preventing a fair hearing or something like that. So they always ask you to take them down as a matter of policy.

Tbh this makes sense, we've already removed the Facebook post (got it deleted) as people started to post personal information about the guy, despite the fact that he's damaged my car you don't want to see this sort of situation escalate (Social Media is a really hostile place). I've provided the Police with all the information they could need/use so it's on them to pursue the matter.

I'm on the fence about taking the YouTube video down it hasn't as many views as the Facebook one (17k) and it serves as a really good example of how useful/good the sentry cam system is. I might take it down tonight and replace it with his face blurred out.

Terrible, while Churchill say it won't affect you, it is still a claim, and when it comes down to renewal it will hurt you unfortunately, although you will keep your no claims. I believe you need to pay your excess to. The more these things spread about Teslas the more likely it will put anyone off doing it, although this guy seems to be drunk, so maybe not.
Yep. No fault claims likely to up your future premium no matter.

Many years back, wife had her drivers door taken out whilst parked in a car park - other driver obviously was on hard lock and wasn't watching the front of their car. Result, a new drivers door but accepted as no fault, no claims were protected yet premium still went up following year due to accident. So these things get added onto premium based on claim history rather than onto NCD, so are passed between insurers as you need to declare claims within a certain numbers of years - plus its on their database anyway. No fault claim signifies higher insurance risk no matter. It may also affect resale value.

Both of these comments make me sad, but is to be expected. My excess is not exactly small so depending on the estimate for the work I might not pursue the claim. At the moment I've gone extra classy and have thrown down some masking tape over the bonnet.

Anyone have any good temporary ways to cover up the bonnet?

Reactions: Tattersky
Both of these comments make me sad, but is to be expected. My excess is not exactly small so depending on the estimate for the work I might not pursue the claim. At the moment I've gone extra classy and have thrown down some masking tape over the bonnet.

Anyone have any good temporary ways to cover up the bonnet?
I would expect it would be way above your excess for the work required.