Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode (yes or no)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By not using the sentry mode, will your battery performance have any meaningful gain over the entire operation of the vehicle? Absolutely NOT. Getting stressed out by something like this is not good for you. just enjoy and drive.
You're wrong.
Running sentry 24/7 over 10 years would be like driving an extra 75,000 miles. Are you saying 75,000 miles of use makes no difference to a battery?
It also would cost you about $4,000 in electricity.

You're wrong.
Running sentry 24/7 over 10 years would be like driving an extra 75,000 miles. Are you saying 75,000 miles of use makes no difference to a battery?
It also would cost you about $4,000 in electricity.
You are going with non realistic numbers to force your logic into others. No one uses the Sentry mode 24/7. Average people buy new cars every 5-6 years. The benefit of the Sentry mode outweighs the $1.09 per day (based on your calculation, not mine) cost and 24 miles of range/battery use (if used for 24/7). There is no extra battery degradation documented due to the sentry mode use.

No one uses the Sentry mode 24/7.
Is it always best to leave Sentry mode on all the time?
Yeah, first post in this thread is asking if it should be on all the time.

Average people buy new cars every 5-6 years.
So? The average car is 14 years old now. How long YOU own the car is irrelevant- SOMEONE owns the car, and the average Tesla is going to exist for a lot longer than 10 years.

The benefit of the Sentry mode outweighs the $1.09 per day (based on your calculation, not mine) cost and 24 miles of range/battery use (if used for 24/7).
What is the benefit of Sentry? It doesn't prevent damage. It might catch someone that did damage? So you can show your insurance and if they bother to go find them, you can get out of your deductible?
In what way do you really calculate that Sentry can save the average Tesla driver even $100 per year?

There is no extra battery degradation documented due to the sentry mode use.
Yes there is, because it's physics. Every single watt the batteries provide wears them out, and Sentry can use up to 7,500 miles extra energy per year. The battery doesn't care what used the power. Total amp hours is total amp hours.

Lol, what benefit? Some weird revenge fantasy of catching a scofflaw on video and making them pay that hardly ever pans out in the real world? YouTube fame?

It’s security theater for peeping toms. ;)
hit and run? parking lot door dings? Actually in the real world that I'm in (not you), sentry mode catches a lot of them and make them pay instead of your own insurance pays and charge you higher premium later.

hit and run? parking lot door dings? Actually in the real world that I'm in (not you), sentry mode catches a lot of them and make them pay instead of your own insurance pays and charge you higher premium later.
Insurance does not go after $300 door dings, and sentry does not record every car that pulls in next to you, so how do you have their plate? Tons of states don't even require front plates, so you'd only get a plate if sentry recorded while the back of the car was pointed towards the car.

Meanwhile, most videos online have sentry showing bad behavior by people, but that doesn't make them identifiable. My neighbor had his car keyed, and sentry caught every moment. That didn't make any difference, as it was just a random passerby, with no way to identify them.

It's not that there aren't corner cases where it helps. It's the idea that on average it saves Tesla owners $1 per day.

I curious to know if using Sentry Mode may piss off someone who is causally just walking a little to close to car and they may respond with a keying after the alert. If this makes sense.

Is it always best to leave Sentry mode on all the time?
Sentry mode doesn't do anything to prevent someone keying your car, a hand doesn't pop out and grab their arm to prevent them from doing it. Sentry mode will provide you the video of the horrific event and the sinking realization that you will probably never be able to identify them from the fisheye view of the side cameras. You need to stay away from the person that is pissed off by sentry mode while casually strolling down the street past your Tesla. They are probably triggered by more than sentry mode. Sure leave it on all the time, it gets real time consuming to watch all the sentry events of people walking by your car minding their own business.

WOW! I did not realize that Sentry Mode was such a major issue.

Not for us. We use it everywhere aside from our garage. It is also kind of funny to see a fellow TESLA owner pull up and do some sort of a dance in front of our car. Makes a bad day better when we see someone "dance"!

It is also the same thing when it comes to dashcams (we have them in all our cars)....OUR opinion is that it is good to have.

:)

Yes, I think so, the less videos the car downloads the lower the energy consumption
The power draw of sentry is almost all because the HV system needs to stay online to support it. It's not doing 300W of work, it needs 200W of contactors and DC-DC converters on and such just to exist.
It's a normal computer, doing normal computer things. Your laptop only needs 30W-100W to be on and doing a LOT. Writing to USB doesn't take any power.

WOW! I did not realize that Sentry Mode was such a major issue.

Not for us. We use it everywhere aside from our garage. It is also kind of funny to see a fellow TESLA owner pull up and do some sort of a dance in front of our car. Makes a bad day better when we see someone "dance"!

It is also the same thing when it comes to dashcams (we have them in all our cars)....OUR opinion is that it is good to have.

:)

I understand this, for sure, but a typical dashcam (aftermarket) does not use nearly as much energy as sentry mode does in a tesla. Thats because the car was not designed with the idea that the cameras would be used as a dash cam. It (sentry mode) was a bolt on feature after the car was released, specifically in response to a high volume of break-ins, specifically targeting Teslas, in San Francisco, in 2018 / 2019.

Since the entire car stays "awake" when using sentry mode, it uses a lot more energy than a dash cam in other cars (roughly 1 mile an hour worth of range, or 18-24 miles of range per 24 hour usage in numbers people are generally looking at on the range meter).

Using a couple miles of range when one is out and about isnt really a big deal in the scheme of extra electricity usage, but using it "all the time", is 20 miles a day (ish), of energy lost "just sitting there". As long as someone who is contemplating doing that "all the time" knows how much it actually uses, they can make an informed decision. If at that point they want to pay for it, then thats up to them.

Using a couple miles of range when one is out and about isnt really a big deal in the scheme of extra electricity usage, but using it "all the time", is 20 miles a day (ish), of energy lost "just sitting there". As long as someone who is contemplating doing that "all the time" knows how much it actually uses, they can make an informed decision. If at that point they want to pay for it, then thats up to them.
I guess we get it. Battery drain bad, sentry good. I am sure the 1 billion Tesla users not on this site know
this as well. I really cannot wait until our reunion at a best buy with our neard name tags. Some of you may look a
bit IT like. Happy 2023.