Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe try to format your USB drive? Should clear out the old bogus ones.
After installation I tested it. The first time it triggered, the recording wasn't quite right - clips were 1 second long and one camera's video was missing, although there were alarm for 4 events. I noticed there was also no "recent" videos. Maybe the teslacam component did not start after the update until the triggering time.

I deleted the broken clip and test again after 15 minutes. This time things worked fine. Footage was long enough and no missing cameras. Also the notification said 1 event this time.

I only viewed the videos onboard and didn't check the files on the drive. But so far I have no reason to suspect incorrect files.

After installation I tested it. The first time it triggered, the recording wasn't quite right - clips were 1 second long and one camera's video was missing, although there were alarm for 4 events. I noticed there was also no "recent" videos. Maybe the teslacam component did not start after the update until the triggering time.

I deleted the broken clip and test again after 15 minutes. This time things worked fine. Footage was long enough and no missing cameras. Also the notification said 1 event this time.

I only viewed the videos onboard and didn't check the files on the drive. But so far I have no reason to suspect incorrect files.

I was about to post that the fix didn't fix things, then I read this. Your description of the first trigger is EXACTLY what I experienced. I've deleted the clips, but haven't tried triggering again. Sure hope it starts working for me as well!

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Let us know how it goes. I've just checked and flicked advanced option on, but no updates to mine yet.

OK guys so I got it working - after confirming it was set to ON in the car, I double checked the app and for some reason
it was toggled to OFF. I turned it on in the app and voila - it works at least so far. Read other comments where people
said it was inconsistent. I'm about to go out to a busy area and will report back.

So if yours doesn't work after the update, make sure Sentry is turned on both in the car and the app.

• Informative
Reactions: cancoi and Zhe Wiz
Mine works now. After the initial break-in attempt by the girls it did the weird video thing so I reformatted the drive. Went to the grocery store and had them try again and it worked!
I updated to 18.10 last night and activated sentry mode for 11 hours today at my work parking lot this morning. It's a busy lot and I would expect many triggers. However, there were no sentry alerts or sentry clips on the drive when I returned to the car this evening. I'll try reformatting the drive and test again.

I updated to 18.10 last night and activated sentry mode for 11 hours today at my work parking lot this morning. It's a busy lot and I would expect many triggers. However, there were no sentry alerts or sentry clips on the drive when I returned to the car this evening. I'll try reformatting the drive and test again.
Sentry mode is definitely not as sensitive as what was described before. In my additional tests, if I just walk around the car, it is usually not sufficient to trigger a sentry event. I could even just lean on the side of the car without triggering it. I had to touch the door handle, slightly knock on the car, or do some back and forth hand movements to trigger it.

I've reformatted the drive (in the car) and it appears to be working now! I tested it from the side and it activated sentry mode, showing Sentry Mode Recording on the screen. Later, i tried again with the front, back, and other side. All worked and the drive had all the video.

I wish I could tell if this helps my radar equipped Model 3 but I'm not getting these updates: I keep waking it up and my settings are set to advanced. Now it looks like they may have stopped 18.10 and they are starting to roll out 18.11. I always seem to be 2 weeks behind everyone else.

Mike

I wish I could tell if this helps my radar equipped Model 3 but I'm not getting these updates: I keep waking it up and my settings are set to advanced. Now it looks like they may have stopped 18.10 and they are starting to roll out 18.11. I always seem to be 2 weeks behind everyone else.

Mike
I think you should be cheering that 18.11 is being rolled out. On teslafi it shows 18.11 is installed in both US and Europe, which is an indication that it is applicable to radar equipped cars (because vision-only cars are only in the US and Canada).

It also looks like 18.11 is a combination of 18.10 and 18.5.

I think you should be cheering that 18.11 is being rolled out. On teslafi it shows 18.11 is installed in both US and Europe, which is an indication that it is applicable to radar equipped cars (because vision-only cars are only in the US and Canada).

It also looks like 18.11 is a combination of 18.10 and 18.5.

Yeah, I was happy to see that today. But so far, no signal from the mothership. Still waiting. :)

Mike