Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry thinks I'm the bad guy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
After most recent Tesla SW update I've had the odd experience about a dozen times now of Sentry activating when I approach the car and do something like touch a door handle. Worth noting that my iPhone X that has worked pretty much perfectly for entering the vehicle is always with me when this occurs.

Then when I get in the car and it shows that there was a sentry event.

Well sentry, duh, you thought I was a dirt bag trying to break into the car!

Is anyone else traumatized that their car thinks they are a no good criminal?

giphy.gif

After most recent Tesla SW update I've had the odd experience about a dozen times now of Sentry activating when I approach the car and do something like touch a door handle. Worth noting that my iPhone X that has worked pretty much perfectly for entering the vehicle is always with me when this occurs.

Then when I get in the car and it shows that there was a sentry event.

Well sentry, duh, you thought I was a dirt bag trying to break into the car!

Is anyone else traumatized that their car thinks they are a no good criminal?

giphy.gif
Mine has always worked this way. Sentry shows recording until I open the door. In fact, yesterday l put my luggage in the trunk. I walked around the car and noticed Sentry was still active, even after opening and closing the trunk. It deactivated when I opened the door.

Reactions: PoitNarf
This has happened to me several times on various software versions. Sometimes the Sentry Mode eye will show up on the screen as I approach my car. I’d say I’ve noticed this about 1 out of every 50 times when I approach my 3. I believe it’s working as designed.

Wrong answer. If my phone is with me it knows I’m the owner.

That maybe true however just because your phone is near the car doesn’t mean that you intend to open it and want Sentry to turn off. For example if you want Sentry On parked at home in your driveway and are doing chores around the yard how is it suppose to know your intentions? Don’t think even AI can read minds yet.

If it turned Sentry off when it sensed your phone, well then you’d have to remember to turn it back on.

That maybe true however just because your phone is near the car doesn’t mean that you intend to open it and want Sentry to turn off. For example if you want Sentry On parked at home in your driveway and are doing chores around the yard how is it suppose to know your intentions? Don’t think even AI can read minds yet.

If it turned Sentry off when it sensed your phone, well then you’d have to remember to turn it back on.

It's actually not hard for the car to know the distance of your BT device and know whether or not you are approaching the vehicle.

All I know is that something in the behavior changed in the latest update and for the first time ever I am seeing the sentry screen come up when I'm doing something like opening a door or the trunk... then I have a sentry alert. If I'm not paying attention I have to question if the alert was triggered by me or is an actual alert where I would want to inspect my car and check the recordings.

At a minimum tapping the icon for sentry being activated should give time stamps of when it happened so we owners know which ones we can safely ignore.

When I get back to my car after being in a parking lot where usually Sentry has been triggered by people walking by or driving past and I see "Sentry Mode Event Report - 2 events occurred" I just walk around my car before driving off to see if I observe any damage, or if in hurry, do so when I get out so I know if I need to check the latest videos.