Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This!!! … 7 seater here .. 120days in and counting for a vin 😭
I am very surprised they missed your delivery in the quarter end. They did make a big batch for 7 seaters and some who have normally gotten their cars in 2022 received it in December. I suggest you call and ask your SA in the first week of January. PgCoco showed the power of repeated calling and getting them to write notes, does work.

Reactions: carlos916
Fingers crossed I can take delivery this coming week. My original order date was September 21 and had an edd of March 2022 then jumped to December 31. They even texted me to confirm a December delivery. Sold my car and now my edd moved back to March. This thread is giving me hope, lol I keep dreaming about my Model Y LR

Fingers crossed I can take delivery this coming week. My original order date was September 21 and had an edd of March 2022 then jumped to December 31. They even texted me to confirm a December delivery. Sold my car and now my edd moved back to March. This thread is giving me hope, lol I keep dreaming about my Model Y LR

We need a fingers crossed icon, just for you.

Reactions: Jd2pictures
They were pulling orders out of turn for the last 2 weeks of the December quarter to supply to CA to ensure they had a minimum of unsold cars. But if the dates are missed they move people back in the queue. That said, for September 21st order, I expect your delivery will happen anytime from mid January to end of February. It is highly unlikely to go into March. They will clear August ones in first half of January then move into September. The unknown elephant in the room is what they will do with the large number of orders prior to September that come off holds on 1st January. The second factor that can help is how soon Austin starts supplying MYLR's.

They were pulling orders out of turn for the last 2 weeks of the December quarter to supply to CA to ensure they had a minimum of unsold cars. But if the dates are missed they move people back in the queue. That said, for September 21st order, I expect your delivery will happen anytime from mid January to end of February. It is highly unlikely to go into March. They will clear August ones in first half of January then move into September. The unknown elephant in the room is what they will do with the large number of orders prior to September that come off holds on 1st January. The second factor that can help is how soon Austin starts supplying MYLR's.

This strikes me as a pretty reasonable analysis

This strikes me as a pretty reasonable analysis
Only thing I'm scared of is that they have a huge backlog of 6 months of holds to go through.

The unknown elephant in the room is what they will do with the large number of orders prior to September that come off holds on 1st January.
I’d wondered why my 9/10 order has a 4-week EDD window, yet that estimated delivery window begins in just 18 days. It seems like if a delivery 18 days from today were even a possibility, then they should have narrowed the window to two weeks before now. But your explanation would make some sense: they haven’t figured out yet if they will bump us behind all the Off-Hold orders, or mix off-hold orders with never-held orders, or just tell the off-hold people to pound sand for a few months.

Just got a text from Tesla - they can't get my car ready today, so they're moving me to Jan delivery. That's fine by me. Interesting to watch their somewhat-chaotic scramble. I will try to see if I keep my VIN, or if it is somehow used elsewhere and I get a different January car.

EDD now Jan 1-5 so maybe same car, just didn't make the overnight truck to my town.

Last edited:
Totally agree that what they do with on hold orders will drive what August and September "non'hold" orders see for delivery timeframes. If the orders being taken off hold go to the front of the line, then those of us who didn't put on a hold will get pushed back who knows how long. If they put hold orders in the March-April EDD timeframe which i have seen for a for a few people who were on hold, then I think the timeline suggested by @45thParallel is probably pretty accurate.

I’d wondered why my 9/10 order has a 4-week EDD window, yet that estimated delivery window begins in just 18 days. It seems like if a delivery 18 days from today were even a possibility, then they should have narrowed the window to two weeks before now. But your explanation would make some sense: they haven’t figured out yet if they will bump us behind all the Off-Hold orders, or mix off-hold orders with never-held orders, or just tell the off-hold people to pound sand for a few months.
Generally Tesla seems to operate on 1 month schedule and medium term firmer schedule. Those of us with a mid-January to mid February dates have had those dates for a month now. It is more than likely to move ahead by at least 2 weeks but highly likely with a shorter delivery period. So those dates could be close to end of January to end of February or just 2 weeks for those ahead in the queue. They have moved a lot of August orders (mainly non west coast) to first half of January. I expect these folks will start seeing VIN's as early as next week. For September first half orders they may push our dates or just narrow them like 1-10 February. All this depends on them not putting hold releases in January/February. There again Tesla's approach seems to be a bit miffed in that they have shown 0 tolerance for anyone not saying yes to a delivery with 1 or 2 day window and going as far as cancelling orders. So on side they don't like it they are delivering cars to those who booked it for $7k or so less than today's price at the same time they do not want to carry these people for a long time just to punish them by making them weight. So from a corporate policy point of view, they do not seem to have a clear policy on placing holds and how local SA's behave is very different. They need to have a consistent policy and then stick to it and not attribute motives to their buyers even if they are using the policy to take advantage of tax rebates. Why? This game is not over yet. Once Senate deals with voting rights bill and a resolution and continuing budget resolution/debt level which is due by end of February, they will start working on a new BBB Jr. bill. Due to the constraint to reduce the size of the BBB bill (Manchin), those waiting for their Tesla's will yet again want to put holds, particularly those who never have used a hold before. So Tesla needs to have consistency in how they deal with the hold issue. Not every one is flush with cash and so it would be natural course of action for some to wait to get the full tax rebates. So friends, enjoy the ride into the new year. Wishing everyone a happy new year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tararua
Generally Tesla seems to operate on 1 month schedule and medium term firmer schedule. Those of us with a mid-January to mid February dates have had those dates for a month now. It is more than likely to move ahead by at least 2 weeks but highly likely with a shorter delivery period. So those dates could be close to end of January to end of February or just 2 weeks for those ahead in the queue. They have moved a lot of August orders (mainly non west coast) to first half of January. I expect these folks will start seeing VIN's as early as next week. For September first half orders they may push our dates or just narrow them like 1-10 February. All this depends on them not putting hold releases in January/February. There again Tesla's approach seems to be a bit miffed in that they have shown 0 tolerance for anyone not saying yes to a delivery with 1 or 2 day window and going as far as cancelling orders. So on side they don't like it they are delivering cars to those who booked it for $7k or so less than today's price at the same time they do not want to carry these people for a long time just to punish them by making them weight. So from a corporate policy point of view, they do not seem to have a clear policy on placing holds and how local SA's behave is very different. They need to have a consistent policy and then stick to it and not attribute motives to their buyers even if they are using the policy to take advantage of tax rebates. Why? This game is not over yet. Once Senate deals with voting rights bill and a resolution and continuing budget resolution/debt level which is due by end of February, they will start working on a new BBB Jr. bill. Due to the constraint to reduce the size of the BBB bill (Manchin), those waiting for their Tesla's will yet again want to put holds, particularly those who never have used a hold before. So Tesla needs to have consistency in how they deal with the hold issue. Not every one is flush with cash and so it would be natural course of action for some to wait to get the full tax rebates. So friends, enjoy the ride into the new year. Wishing everyone a happy new year.
Good write up, thoroughly thought out. But wanted to get your take.

Whoever gets deliver starting 1/1 and on. Do you think those cars will be built after 12/31 or does Tesla still tend to deliver Dec2021 built cars well into the next month / year?

Good write up, thoroughly thought out. But wanted to get your take.

Whoever gets deliver starting 1/1 and on. Do you think those cars will be built after 12/31 or does Tesla still tend to deliver Dec2021 built cars well into the next month / year?
It could happen sporadically, but given the supply constraints, I doubt there are many “Dec 2021 or older” cars to go around aside from any demo cars left around, etc…

But out of curiosity, why would it be relevant?

It could happen sporadically, but given the supply constraints, I doubt there are many “Dec 2021 or older” cars to go around aside from any demo cars left around, etc…

But out of curiosity, why would it be relevant?
Well with the news of the new amd chip and giga Austin coming online, figured cars after 1/1 built date = the new chip.