Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Issue - Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll try to keep this short, but I’m looking for a bit of advice. This is my first Tesla.

Took delivery of my Model Y PUP in late June. There were of course cosmetic items to address. Many were addressed at the first visit and most everything was completed, without issue. However, there were a couple of dust nibs I saw at delivery and called them out at the first service appointment. Since I was taking a trip shortly after my first service visit, they could not address the paint issues, so I returned for a second visit. Very accommodating.

As part of this second visit, I called out an item that I noticed after they adjusted the driver’s rear door at the first visit, it appears that the driver’s door was always open, the two doors where they meet were not flush, not even close.

So I called this out, no problem they said. Since the car needed to have some paint work done, they said it would be a few weeks. No problem again. Put me in a loaner.

I wake up last week Wednesday to an email that says a part has been ordered for my service visit. The description is “MY RR DOOR LH DEEP BLUE Part #: 1493561-13-A”. WTF, they ordered a door?

So I texted the service center asking what was up. Was the car in an accident while they had possession? I got a phone call and they explained that when the car was at the body shop for the paint work, the body shop looked at the door issue and said the driver’s rear door has a crease in the welds along the inside of the door, this happened at build and that Tesla tried to fix it during the build. There was no way they could align the doors given the issues, so the service center ordered a new door.

Ok, so that’s fine, but they have no ETA on the door. So since this time last week Wednesday, I’ve asked for additional updates, can I just get my car back and I’ll happily come back and get the door replaced and car painted. But I have not heard anything. I’ve sent emails. Texts. Left voicemails. No call backs. No response.

Is this normal Tesla behavior? I really don’t want to keep their loaner, I rather drive my car and it’s been two weeks. I’m 35 miles away from the service center, so I just don’t want to show up and ask for the car back. What’s the best way to get ahold of a service center and get a response? Car can be driven (I assume???), only seems reasonable to get mine back and once the door is in, get the work done? Neighbors think I got a lemon. lol

While you're annoyed and I get it... sounds like they are doing the right thing big time.

With new production, there's gonna significant delays getting things ... especially body parts.

Sucks, but it really sounds like they're doing you right (even with the crappy amount of time).

I have zero complaints on them doing the right thing. In fact, I was surprised they would even do what they've done. All good. It just seems like I could have the car back while this is going on. It's 100% driveable. Who knows how long it'll take to get the door in? Why not give the car back? More so, why not just respond, period? :)

I have zero complaints on them doing the right thing. In fact, I was surprised they would even do what they've done. All good. It just seems like I could have the car back while this is going on. It's 100% driveable. Who knows how long it'll take to get the door in? Why not give the car back? More so, why not just respond, period? :)

I dont understand that thinking either ..

Many times I've had something in for repair (bike, car) that was totally usable only to sit until they got around to working on it.

Every sc is different, mine had to order new rear seats and a tailgate latch. They said to come pick up the MY since the repairs aren’t a safety issue. I just thought they wanted their loaner back, but I agree with you. Prefer to have my MY with me than sitting outside in the SC lot while waiting for the parts/painting

I’ll try to keep this short, but I’m looking for a bit of advice. This is my first Tesla.

Took delivery of my Model Y PUP in late June. There were of course cosmetic items to address. Many were addressed at the first visit and most everything was completed, without issue. However, there were a couple of dust nibs I saw at delivery and called them out at the first service appointment. Since I was taking a trip shortly after my first service visit, they could not address the paint issues, so I returned for a second visit. Very accommodating.

As part of this second visit, I called out an item that I noticed after they adjusted the driver’s rear door at the first visit, it appears that the driver’s door was always open, the two doors where they meet were not flush, not even close.

So I called this out, no problem they said. Since the car needed to have some paint work done, they said it would be a few weeks. No problem again. Put me in a loaner.

I wake up last week Wednesday to an email that says a part has been ordered for my service visit. The description is “MY RR DOOR LH DEEP BLUE Part #: 1493561-13-A”. WTF, they ordered a door?

So I texted the service center asking what was up. Was the car in an accident while they had possession? I got a phone call and they explained that when the car was at the body shop for the paint work, the body shop looked at the door issue and said the driver’s rear door has a crease in the welds along the inside of the door, this happened at build and that Tesla tried to fix it during the build. There was no way they could align the doors given the issues, so the service center ordered a new door.

Ok, so that’s fine, but they have no ETA on the door. So since this time last week Wednesday, I’ve asked for additional updates, can I just get my car back and I’ll happily come back and get the door replaced and car painted. But I have not heard anything. I’ve sent emails. Texts. Left voicemails. No call backs. No response.

Is this normal Tesla behavior? I really don’t want to keep their loaner, I rather drive my car and it’s been two weeks. I’m 35 miles away from the service center, so I just don’t want to show up and ask for the car back. What’s the best way to get ahold of a service center and get a response? Car can be driven (I assume???), only seems reasonable to get mine back and once the door is in, get the work done? Neighbors think I got a lemon. lol

@phoha21 Do you happen to have any pictures of the car with the defective door still attached?

They had mine for over two weeks.

Hang in there and let them do their thing.

I was notified just today that my drivers side front door is going to be replaced to address my door and body line alignment issues. I’m definitely concerned about potential color mismatch, particularly because my white Model Y suffers from the "splotchy" paint problem that affects so many of the early white cars. I’m expecting to be without the car for at least another 2-3 weeks, with nothing but a locked-to-chill-mode 85D to keep me company until then.

I was notified just today that my drivers side front door is going to be replaced to address my door and body line alignment issues. I’m definitely concerned about potential color mismatch, particularly because my white Model Y suffers from the "splotchy" paint problem that affects so many of the early white cars. I’m expecting to be without the car for at least another 2-3 weeks, with nothing but a locked-to-chill-mode 85D to keep me company until then.

Supposedly my car is back from the body shop. My rep was out all last week, which was a reason for the gap in communication it seems. She is going to have the car cleaned up today and then inspected. I am unsure how much paint work was done, other than assuming they fixed the two dust nibs which is why it went to the body shop in the first place. I am assuming a new door arrived, took a little under two weeks it seems from the time it was ordered.

This will be interesting.

So, it gets a bit more complex. Good news is, I'm picking up the car today.

The complex piece is, there is no ETA on the door. So the SC took a door off an inventory car and adjusted accordingly. I applaud them for their creativity. I look forward to getting the car back.