Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center will not fix my shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped off my 2016 Model X with 96k miles for some warranty (CPO) work that included the infamous shudder under hard acceleration. Car is ready for pickup but they are charging me $175 for the shudder issue saying "Test drove vehicle unable to verify concern no abnormal vibration and or shudder felt performed heavy acceleration several times unable to verify concern". The gave me a P85D loaner car that has absolutely no vibration/shudder during acceleration. Is there someone I can talk to have this reconsidered or be given a better explanation?

Car was given to the Clarkston, Michigan Service Center

You need to have a service manager go with you on a drive so that you can show them it happening while you drive and they are in the car.

I've had numerous "inconsistent and irreproachable problem(s) over the years and this was the best way to resolve.

Otherwise you can always try a video but it's not nearly the same, especially if they are trying to deny it on purpose.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and Kavinbala
Has your car had the fix on record? According to your VIN you should get a specific revision fix. Early models have a different fix as Ravens have no fix and are told to wait. Apparently they don’t know why some Ravens are ok and some are not (they thought they figured it out). It’s a design flaw at the end of the day, but they continue to try to reengineer a fix, a lot of angry MX owners patiently waiting. I got the shudder at 5k miles, after about 3 months of ownership.

Is this something you can demonstrate in a video ?[/QUOT
Has your car had the fix on record? According to your VIN you should get a specific revision fix. Early models have a different fix as Ravens have no fix and are told to wait. Apparently they don’t know why some Ravens are ok and some are not (they thought they figured it out). It’s a design flaw at the end of the day, but they continue to try to reengineer a fix, a lot of angry MX owners patiently waiting. I got the shudder at 5k miles, after about 3 months of ownership.
I sent them the service bulletin issued on June 25, 2019 and they said it is not applicable for my Model X. The person I spoke with said that my vehicle has a "falcon drive unit" which will always have a shudder and the only remedy for it is drive unit replacement. He also said they will only do a drive unit replacement if it is a MAJOR shudder/ vibration. My vehicle has not had any service related to this in the past.

Not sure if I should continue to pursue this issue at a different service center or to just deal with the shudder.

I have an AP1 2016 Model X
EBNgu7kWsAAcnUn.jpg

I took my S into Toledo SC. The first time they told me it was normal. I later had a mobile service appointment, and the ranger said it was not normal and I should insist on getting it fixed, so I did right before warranty was expired and they fixed it... now it is so smooth when I accelerate!

Reactions: Kavinbala
Keep pushing. It makes a huge difference in the driving experience when you get the clevis mounts replaces. According to the TSB it applies. It has nothing to do with the raven motor unit. It’s the mounts.

I was told no at first and I kept pushing.