Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service experiences Rocklin Ca. Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got our car after having put down our $1000 reservation 4/6/2016, received notice 7/3/18 car was ready to configure, received the car 8/3/18. What struck me is going over to the service department to get a question answered, it seemed quite chaotic. Anyone in Northern Ca. using Rocklin care to comment on if they’ve (service) been performing ok?

Reactions: neroden
I've always (well, almost always) received excellent service there. Not seen anything resembling chaos, either. Always very friendly and responsive. I expect, though, things are getting busier with all the Model 3 deliveries. They did separate the service and sales areas recently, probably to help cope with the traffic. Next nearest service centers are in Dublin or Truckee, I think. Not very convenient.

The last time I had my car in, they were backlogged a bit, and I wasn't impressed by how they handled it. It just may have been a bad coincidence.

My car just coughed up a burst of error events yesterday, so I may have an opportunity to test them again soon :(

It's not chaotic. But they are REALLY backlogged. They're always really polite, but they may, very politely, say they won't fix (not in those words exactly) really minor stuff because they're so backed up. If it's an easy fix, they will try and do it right while you wait. I had some weatherstripping bowing out in various spots and the service guy had them do it right away since it was just some glue I think.

Right now, I have some trim that's a extended pretty far out, but it's under the glove box so out of the way. The black triangles at the side mirror area are sticking out on the top end. I consider those things "minor". I'm not bothering to go in until either there's a major software update I want them to push, or I find something more major. Not worth it. They had my car in for a week when I had them realign a bumper and replace some trim that was damaged during delivery. Part of that is because I didn't like their loaner cars much. I had a Jag, then an Infinity, then a Chrysler 300S. All had weird, but kind of major issues for a car. I'd rather have just gotten a Honda or Toyota as a loaner, even if they're a lot cheaper. Don't take the white Jag XF as a loaner. The XF is just a POS even if it costs $60k. I've driven $14,000 90s Hyundais that are better cars than that thing. The others have weird issues, but are generally livable for a week as a loaner.

It's not chaotic. But they are REALLY backlogged. They're always really polite, but they may, very politely, say they won't fix (not in those words exactly) really minor stuff because they're so backed up. If it's an easy fix, they will try and do it right while you wait. I had some weatherstripping bowing out in various spots and the service guy had them do it right away since it was just some glue I think.

Right now, I have some trim that's a extended pretty far out, but it's under the glove box so out of the way. The black triangles at the side mirror area are sticking out on the top end. I consider those things "minor". I'm not bothering to go in until either there's a major software update I want them to push, or I find something more major. Not worth it. They had my car in for a week when I had them realign a bumper and replace some trim that was damaged during delivery. Part of that is because I didn't like their loaner cars much. I had a Jag, then an Infinity, then a Chrysler 300S. All had weird, but kind of major issues for a car. I'd rather have just gotten a Honda or Toyota as a loaner, even if they're a lot cheaper. Don't take the white Jag XF as a loaner. The XF is just a POS even if it costs $60k. I've driven $14,000 90s Hyundais that are better cars than that thing. The others have weird issues, but are generally livable for a week as a loaner.

This issue is only going to get worse as they sell more 3's.

BTW do they not have Model S loaners out in Rocklin?

Reactions: neroden
I've always had pretty good experiences with Rocklin's SC. There are little things here and there that I would say could happen anywhere. I've had a Tesla since Oct 2016, and here are my thoughts:
1. always friendly and helpful... address all of my concerns
2. I've had Model S loaners every time except the first time... I guess i've been there about 5 or 6 times total for various issues btwn the 2 cars. I always make appointments well in advance, so maybe I get priority? who knows. I will say this: they make checking in/out the loaners so painless. One time, I returned it after hours and was able to leave the key in the frunk.
3. I've never seen chaos. I was last there about 6 weeks ago.
4. The most recent, I had my windshield replaced, and I had some minor warranty work done as well... they did a horrible job not making my upholstery dirty while replacing windshield. I called and they sent mobile service out to clean it.
5. The time before that... I had a serious sway bar suspension issue.. when I got it back, the steering wheel alignment was off... when I went back to fix it, the steering wheel alignment machine was broken. It took 6 weeks to fix that... so I got it fixed on my windshield appointment.
6. Twice I picked up my car after hours... it was easy. One time they left card key in frunk and I just opened with my app. Only downside to this is if there are any issues, I can't get it addressed immediately. But for me, getting to Rocklin during business hours is rarely convenient
7. There is one tech I got a bad vibe from... but whatever. no big deal. Everyone one else is really cool.

I've always felt fortunate that Rocklin is my SC, as there are a few chronically bad SC's as chronicled on this forum.

This issue is only going to get worse as they sell more 3's.

BTW do they not have Model S loaners out in Rocklin?

They have S loaners. It's just that they are soooo backlogged, that you're likely to get an ICE loaner. They apologize for not having a Tesla loaner though. I can't stress how nice and polite they are. This region has a TON of Teslas with only one SC to handle all the volume. They're just way too busy, but handling it with as much professionalism as one can expect.

I had an appointment about 2.5 weeks out. Still long out of loaners that time. However, when you see the LONG line of cars waiting to be brought into the service parking lot (the locked part of the gate), I'm not surprised they ran out. They can't feasibly have that many Tesla loaners for what they need. As it is, they have both Hertz and Enterprise giving them a ton of cars to use as loaners.

I just took the opportunity to try out cars I'd normally never consider... and discovered that the Model 3 has a LOT of little features and details that I took for granted but other smaller car manufacturers still can't get right.

Overall I've had a pleasant experience with them. I've only had to go a couple of times so far.

My first visit with a tech wasn't the greatest experience:

Original problem was FM radio not working. I discovered via online that there was a software fix but a firmware upgrade isn't enough to fix it. The solution basically was it needed to be escalated to engineers, once they get your VIN number they push the software fix to the car.

The tech hears about the problem and the first thing he says to me is "Well Tesla is migrating away from radio".

I replied "ok, but I have a brand new car and FM radio is suppose to work". :confused:

He took a look and determined that they needed my car for next couple of days. He thought it was a hardware issue and they were going to have to open it up. I told him about what I found online but he said he couldn't find anything about that.

I ended up taking my car because I just wanted to drive my new car not let it sit around the service center. FM radio really wasn't a priority for me and was just hoping it was an easy fix.

One thing obvious regarding the Tesla's 3 is the techs didn't seem to have a lot of experience with them yet. This has probably changed in the past couple of months since they're obviously flooded with 3s now.

Overall though, the people there were very friendly. Mobile service was fantastic. Last time I was there it didn't seem chaotic. I do hope they either consider opening another Tesla service center in the region OR greatly expand the Rocklin site. I see numerous Tesla's in Roseville/Rocklin these days. I agree with others, I'm glad this SC isn't like some of the horrible ones you hear about down south.