Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service history for used Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I purchased a 2021 M3 SR+ about 6 weeks ago. It had about 19k miles on it and two previous owners. When I took delivery from Tesla, i wasn't given any indication on what maintenance had been done on the car. I note that for example, tyre rotation is due every 6.2k miles. I've no idea if this has been done on the car to date, amongst other things.

Is there a way to check this at all or do I have to treat the car as nothing has been done?

Thanks

tyres is wear and tear item and easy to check.

I have done 24k miles now and tyres haven't been rotated as no need (motorway miles, sometimes gentle on acceleration).

other than that, I see not much of services required in general

Reactions: boombap
The only reason to rotate tyres is to even out the wear, so have a look at what tread you have. As it's an SR+ you will be see more wear on the rears than the front. All it's doing is really lining up the tyres so you can replace them all at the same time.

With a new car I would just replace the cabin air filter, it's fiddly but possible to do DIY and you can buy the filters from the Tesla online store. Yes officially the brakes should be checked and lubricated, you could pay Tesla to do this for you (and change the air filter) but TBH on a new car it's highly unlikely to really be essential.

Generally, we just drive them until they break.

The only reason to rotate tyres is to even out the wear, so have a look at what tread you have. As it's an SR+ you will be see more wear on the rears than the front. All it's doing is really lining up the tyres so you can replace them all at the same time.

With a new car I would just replace the cabin air filter, it's fiddly but possible to do DIY and you can buy the filters from the Tesla online store. Yes officially the brakes should be checked and lubricated, you could pay Tesla to do this for you (and change the air filter) but TBH on a new car it's highly unlikely to really be essential.

Generally, we just drive them until they break.
I guess my point here is proactive vs reactive maintenance. I don't want to drive my car until the brakes don't work. It would have been nice to know when I bought the car (used) whether the brake calipers were cleaned and brake fluid replaced. However the tesla delivery office in aberdeen had no idea. Happy to get it done, but less keen to spend the money on doing it if it was done 6 weeks ago when the car was prepared for delivery.

(i bought the car 18k miles used from Tesla)

Can that be done 6 weeks post purchase? Who do you suggest I contact?
I don't know. I don't think so.

Only the existing owner of a Tesla is able to view the service history they have direct with Tesla within the App via: Service > History. You can then drill down to the detailed invoice for the work done.

Once the car is re-registered to a new owner the history resets and is added to only when there are further service/repair/parts etc interactions.

I don't know. I don't think so.

Only the existing owner of a Tesla is able to view the service history they have direct with Tesla within the App via: Service > History. You can then drill down to the detailed invoice for the work done.

Once the car is re-registered to a new owner the history resets and is added to only when there are further service/repair/parts etc interactions.
well but tesla can see the history of the car anyway

you may try to ask tesla.

but I doubt you will see ANY of service for 2021 car. it is not due to 1st "recommended" service yet, as this happens after 2 years of use...

DO NOT forget to top off the windshield washer fluid!

Seriously though, I owned a 2018 S75D for 3 years from new, all I ever did was refill that fluid myself. The car only saw the Tesla store twice - when we picked her up brand new, and when we dropped her off at lease end.

There’s not really any maintenance that needs to be done during the first 19K so unless there was a warranty issue, there probably isn’t much to see. You can check the tires and rotate them if you want. It isn’t like a gasoline car where the oil needs to be changed every 5k miles, etc. It’s more like a plug in lawn mower. Just un plug it and go. Your concern about the brakes probably isn’t an issue either, the motors slow it and regenerate power so the brakes are used much less than in a conventional car. That’s unless you live on a mountain where one uses the brakes all the way down. We used to live in a place like that and that mountain would routinely warp rotors. Not now, though.

If Tesla couldn’t tell you what had been done then I would say it’s safe to assume nothing has been done with Tesla, that doesn’t mean it didn’t go to an independent garage but given age and mileage I would think that very unlikely.

As others have said tyre rotation is very much personal choice and I choose not to do it for various reasons but others swear by it.

For the brakes that really is the only mechanical servicing, many of the mainstream garage chains will do a brake check FOC and then you can use that info to decide if you get any work done or leave it a year and do it in readiness for the MOT which would be my approach

Tesla WON'T tell you. They choose not to by hiding behind GDPR, which is nonsense as you're not after anything personal.

It's a rubbish rule, but if you weren't able to get anything at point of purchase you won't get anything now, 6 weeks after. Been there, tried that, save yourself some time.

If worried about current state get a general vehicle health check booked on the App and pay to have Tesla come out and check all the fluids/filters and then they can advise if anything needs topping up/changing.