Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service manual and wiring diagrams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I managed to acquire service manuals and wiring diagrams for the S and X. I don't want to reveal the sources publically but they are the real deal. They have very helpful illustrations and photos. The wiring diagrams also provide information that is very valuable as we try to simplify intallation steps and reduce installation costs for the lighted rear appliqués for Model S and soon to come Model X. Cost was also low: $50 for the X and $150 for the S.

What does that mean? I'm the wrong guy to criticize in this community.
Id assume he thinks your trying to sell them for that, vs what you said, that's what you had to pay for them.... Suffice to say id love to buy a set for my car, in the past I've always owned a copy of the service manuals for all my cars, but with Tesla thats not the case as they are unobtainium.

I actually just bought a full service manual 2012-2016 for the S in all configurations this evening, could not say no for $129 as much as i've been needing one and tesla does not sell them, now I dont know how legal it was for the seller but I feel much better prepared for future fixes and upgrades with having it on its way, should have it by the end of next week.

Really? Thanks for trying to make a profit on everyone else's expense.

That's not what @artsci was doing. He was simply posting the price he had paid for the manuals to indicate that he thought they were a bargain at that price. If you had taken the 10 seconds it should have taken you to --CAREFULLY-- read what he wrote, you would have realized that, and you wouldn't have unfairly criticized one of the most helpful and popular members of the TMC community.

I had a similar issue getting a repair manual for our BMW when it was new (10 years ago) but within two years Bentley Publications came out with one that was sufficient for my needs. The firmware flashes still had to be done by BMW but I have discovered that rebuilding failed components instead of replacing with new parts eliminates the need for a SW scan and sync.

Even the smart charging system for the battery seems happy to think that it has a 10 year old battery to maintain even though I swapped it with an identical size and type from Costco years ago.

I'm sure that many owners are OK with providing service revenue to the dealerships but I like having the DIY option. Our 85D may be different but if it one day requires a computer component swap I'm sure that I can handle it. It can't be more complicated that changing a failed lightning connector on a iPhone 6 where the part cost $15 and it came with the necessary tools. That may be the DIY world in the future.

Your source wouldn't happen to have manuals for the Roadster, would he? If so, I'll gladly cover the cost.

I didn't look for those but I assume they must exist. I found several sources through a simple search for Tesla Model S service manual and wiring diagrams. Interestingly both appeared to be in Eastern Europe. They required payment upfront and then provided a download link. You might try something similar for the roadster.