Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

service procedures during pandemic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
random question: i have a service appt thursday that i've been putting off for months due to the stay at home orders and pandemic, but i finally took a day off of work to get it over with. i'm curious, how are the service centers dealing with masks / disinfecting the vehicles when the service is completed, as well as how they're dealing with waiting while the car is being worked on? i'd imagine they don't want large groups of people sitting around in a waiting room right now...

When I went to the SC they had a QR code on the door, you scan it, fill out the form saying you are there for drop-off, get a call confirming the issues and where you left your car.

Pickup is the same but tell them you are there for pickup, they will leave your card in the car, windows down and point you to it.

Reactions: crackers8199
When I went to the SC they had a QR code on the door, you scan it, fill out the form saying you are there for drop-off, get a call confirming the issues and where you left your car.

Pickup is the same but tell them you are there for pickup, they will leave your card in the car, windows down and point you to it.

i'm guessing they are not doing loaners right now due to the pandemic?

YMMV but I got uber credit last week, no loaner (from an SC that previously always gave them- dunno if they were just out or if this is policy for everyone now)

how does uber credit work? nearest SC (the one i'm using) is still 45 minutes and roughly 30 miles away, so i'm probably going to just have my wife follow me rather than waste time with uber. plus i have no idea how much an uber ride home and back would cost, probably $100+ each way...

If you are in lake elsinore, you are probably going to carlsbad?

Carlsbad is not doing loaner cars right now (or wasnt roughly 10 days ago when I was there last). You can do a "touchless" drop off by getting out of your car, and texting your advisor (respond to the text they send you pre appointment with the information). If you prefer to talk to them in person, they have it setup so that you can go inside the building and they have dots on the floor to indicate where to stand, and they have their mobile kiosks setup like 10-12 feet away from those dots with temporary posts indicating where to stand.

If you are going to go into the building and talk to them, you need to have a mask on, and they are also wearing masks. As I mentioned, no rental cars at all, but they are offering uber credits (like I actually wanted to get into an uber, lmao). If you have something short being done, you can wait in their waiting room, with your mask on. When I was there, I was there about 1.5 hours or so, and only a couple people were waiting in there and we were very spread out. When I needed to take a phone call, I went outside, and there were also a few people milling about outside, definitely more than 6 feet apart though.

As far as cleaning the car, etc, I am not sure. I picked up my car, drove home, got home and washed my hands, and went and wiped down my steering wheel, thats about it for what I did.

I suggest you have someone follow you there and pick you up, unless you are comfortable getting into an uber (I wont be getting into a rideshare vehicle myself for the forseable future). My thinking on rideshare vehicles is, anyone who is driving those right now is doing it "for a living", its not a "side gig" and anyone like that is not going to stop driving because they have "a few sniffles". So, no rideshare vehicles for me. YMMV of course.

how does uber credit work? nearest SC (the one i'm using) is still 45 minutes and roughly 30 miles away, so i'm probably going to just have my wife follow me rather than waste time with uber. plus i have no idea how much an uber ride home and back would cost, probably $100+ each way...

They would give you probably $300 in uber credits that expire when your car is returned to you... but I dont know what service center you are going to, now, because carlsbad is farther from lake elsinore than 30 miles. Its 35 ish miles from me in temecula, and you are likely 5-15 miles north of me, depending on where you are in lake elsinore. What service center are you going to? Everything I just mentioned was whats going on in carlsbad right now, so no idea how any other ones out here might be handling it.

They would give you probably $300 in uber credits that expire when your car is returned to you... but I dont know what service center you are going to, now, because carlsbad is farther from lake elsinore than 30 miles. Its 35 ish miles from me in temecula, and you are likely 5-15 miles north of me, depending on where you are in lake elsinore. What service center are you going to? Everything I just mentioned was whats going on in carlsbad right now, so no idea how any other ones out here might be handling it.

rancho. i was off on the mileage, it's 45 miles from the house...probably close on the time it'll take to get there though, i got one mid-day so traffic shouldn't be too bad.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

I got $200 that expired at 11pm the following day.

Presumably I could've asked for another $200 if they'd kept it an extra day but I dunno.

Sadly this credit is only good for rides- not Uber eats :)

FWIW when I've taken an uber between home and work (about 35 miles one way) it was like only about 40 bucks- I imagine this varies a lot state to state though.

I had an appointment at Devon scheduled for today that I canceled due to lack of a loaner. They are my nearest center and are 2.5 hrs away. Don’t think I could find a UBER to take me back home :). SC said they would have the car a minimum of 3 days due to the pandemic issues. The repair can wait but this is a major drawback to owning a Tesla for me at least, lack of nearby service centers.

I rescheduled for end of July hoping it might be better then.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I have always got a loaner in about 10 SC visits @ 3 different locations in WA. A few times they have offered uber credits but I just told them I needed one and they have always been available.

Re: loaner, they left the key card in the car and all the windows down. I brought hand sanitizer and used it after touching anything just like I would anything else these days.

I have always got a loaner in about 10 SC visits @ 3 different locations in WA. A few times they have offered uber credits but I just told them I needed one and they have always been available.

Re: loaner, they left the key card in the car and all the windows down. I brought hand sanitizer and used it after touching anything just like I would anything else these days.

The service center he is going to is not offering loaners (or wasnt 10 days ago, and has not been since the start of Covid 19 related matters). Even if they normally had them, they wont usually have them for a mid day appointment in the middle of the day. I would think OP should plan for not having a loaner available, unless the text message they sent him says there will be one. The one they sent me said "we do not currently have loaner cars and will be issuing uber credits if needed".

do they tell you ahead of time how long they're keeping it? my service estimate has a line for replacing the radio module but i've also been having autopilot issues that are on the service request but nothing on the estimate about...

Not unless you ask when you show up, but depending on what "autopilot issues" you are talking about, it could be quick, it could be long, or they may ignore it (depending on what issue you are talking about).

Not unless you ask when you show up, but depending on what "autopilot issues" you are talking about, it could be quick, it could be long, or they may ignore it (depending on what issue you are talking about).

i keep having the traction control disabled issue happen, more and more frequently. driving along with EAP engaged and suddenly the car freaks out telling me to take over, and traction control and all AP features are disabled (autosteer, cruise, hold mode, etc)...

do they tell you ahead of time how long they're keeping it? my service estimate has a line for replacing the radio module but i've also been having autopilot issues that are on the service request but nothing on the estimate about...

I reached out to them yesterday and this was the reply. My car is going in for autopilot issues.

At this time Tesla Devon is offering Uber Vouchers for all appointments. Loaner vehicles are subject to availability at check in. At this time, we would not expect a loaner vehicle to be available for your current appointment based on service needs. If this date/time is not convenient for you, we recommend to reschedule using the Tesla App. Typical service expectations for completion are 3+ days with the current coronavirus parameters and work backlog from pandemic. After review of your concern, additional diagnostics will be required at the service center to determine repair needs. If you requires assistance with rescheduling please let us know here at [email protected]. We look forward to taking care of your Tesla.

Thank you,

Stephanie Schlegel | Service Adviser

If you are in lake elsinore, you are probably going to carlsbad?

Carlsbad is not doing loaner cars right now (or wasnt roughly 10 days ago when I was there last). You can do a "touchless" drop off by getting out of your car, and texting your advisor (respond to the text they send you pre appointment with the information). If you prefer to talk to them in person, they have it setup so that you can go inside the building and they have dots on the floor to indicate where to stand, and they have their mobile kiosks setup like 10-12 feet away from those dots with temporary posts indicating where to stand.

If you are going to go into the building and talk to them, you need to have a mask on, and they are also wearing masks. As I mentioned, no rental cars at all, but they are offering uber credits (like I actually wanted to get into an uber, lmao). If you have something short being done, you can wait in their waiting room, with your mask on. When I was there, I was there about 1.5 hours or so, and only a couple people were waiting in there and we were very spread out. When I needed to take a phone call, I went outside, and there were also a few people milling about outside, definitely more than 6 feet apart though.

As far as cleaning the car, etc, I am not sure. I picked up my car, drove home, got home and washed my hands, and went and wiped down my steering wheel, thats about it for what I did.

I suggest you have someone follow you there and pick you up, unless you are comfortable getting into an uber (I wont be getting into a rideshare vehicle myself for the forseable future). My thinking on rideshare vehicles is, anyone who is driving those right now is doing it "for a living", its not a "side gig" and anyone like that is not going to stop driving because they have "a few sniffles". So, no rideshare vehicles for me. YMMV of course.

I got a HW 3.0 upgrade last week and had an identical experience to jjrandorin. I went to the Buena Park SC, and everything was handled beautifully.
BTW, I was told that the software update takes the longest portion of the time in the SC. I had an 8:30 appointment, and it was done right before they closed at 4:00. I didn’t want to take an Uber, so I had someone pick me up & drop me off.[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Went to the SC less than a month ago for HW3 retrofit. They texted me the morning of my appointment with a link telling me to fill out this form from my phone once I've arrived at the SC, when I arrived and parked at the designated spot I filled out the form from inside my car and within a minute or so I got a text from the SC asking for pics of my divers license and proof of insurance. After I sent that they confirmed the details of my appointment, told me to leave the keycard in the cup holder and lave the car unlocked. They gave me a loaner car, for the loaner car, they have the loaner cars parked in number parking spots and they told me my loaner was in, for example parking spot 3. The key for the loaner was on the windshield inside a little plastic bag. As for cleaning the car, I did see a technician walk out to my car with a mask on, gloves on, spray bottle (with what I assume is disinfectant), and a towel. When I returned to pick up the car, the car was waiting with the doors locked (they told em to use my phone app unlock), with the key in the cup holder, I put the loaner back in the same spot I picked it up and dropped the key off in the mailbox.

TL;DR. The entire process was contact less, I received a loaner, they were disinfecting cars.

Reactions: crackers8199
Went to the SC less than a month ago for HW3 retrofit. They texted me the morning of my appointment with a link telling me to fill out this form from my phone once I've arrived at the SC, when I arrived and parked at the designated spot I filled out the form from inside my car and within a minute or so I got a text from the SC asking for pics of my divers license and proof of insurance. After I sent that they confirmed the details of my appointment, told me to leave the keycard in the cup holder and lave the car unlocked. They gave me a loaner car, for the loaner car, they have the loaner cars parked in number parking spots and they told me my loaner was in, for example parking spot 3. The key for the loaner was on the windshield inside a little plastic bag. As for cleaning the car, I did see a technician walk out to my car with a mask on, gloves on, spray bottle (with what I assume is disinfectant), and a towel. When I returned to pick up the car, the car was waiting with the doors locked (they told em to use my phone app unlock), with the key in the cup holder, I put the loaner back in the same spot I picked it up and dropped the key off in the mailbox.

TL;DR. The entire process was contact less, I received a loaner, they were disinfecting cars.

Maybe its like that in chicago, but I live about 5-10 miles away from this OP, and we use the same service center, and unless they have changed in the last 10 days (possible of course) they have not been offering loaner cars since mid march. I have been there twice since march 1st, once for HW3 upgrade, and once to get a new rim since I damaged one and it needed to be replaced. Both times I asked for a loaner and both times I was told "we are not offering them, we would be happy to offer you uber credits".

Likely depends on location. CA / San Diego is one of the more "active" covid 19 areas after all... maybe chicago isnt.

I don’t follow the logic behind eliminating loaner cars during the pandemic for multiple day service jobs. I can’t maintain six feet of distance from an Uber driver and I’m riding in a car that’s been used by hundreds of other passengers rather than driving in a private loaner car by myself.

Had an SC appointment last Wednesday in Charlotte. Just a tire issue and had day off so I was fine with waiting.

Initial interaction was good, was at least 10 feet away from SA. But there was a rack of new tires right next to me and he came over to use one of the tires to show me what could be wrong and options for repair. A little too close for comfort.

Waiting area was large but it annoyed me that the two other customers waiting were unmasked (I’m of an age that these things matter to me). Fortunately SC is in an old car dealership (as I suspect many are) so I was able to find a chair in a massive “showroom” that had no cars in it and only one Tesla employee sitting about 40 feet away. The text updates paid off here; I didn’t worry that the SA couldn’t find me, and sure enough I got a text when the car was ready.

All employees were masked, customers not so much. This was before the state instituted mask requirement.

Overall a B grade for the visit. Don’t know what steps were taken to disinfect car, there was no place to sit and wait outdoors, and I didn’t need the up close lesson in possible tire issues. But overall I was comfortable with the visit.