Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

service records

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buying a Tesla very soon.

I asked the dealer if all the maintenance and or service records were readily available for me to look at.
They replied with the following statement:

"....The vehicle online system is completely wiped clear once a tesla is sold to another person so there will be no documentation or service record. Tesla do not have a service schedule...."

Am I to assume therefore that Tesla's don't have track records and whatever was recorded in the past about that vehicle is lost forever?

How does one assess the life it has led if there is nothing to go on?

Thanks in advance

Z

There isnt any manufacturer that is "obligated " to make service records for the vehicle prior to your ownership available to a new owner or prospective owner. Those are the property of the person who owned the vehicle before.

This isnt a Tesla thing, No other dealer would admit to having them readily available either (in the US, perhaps its different where you are). Now, for many other makes, if you have a good relationship with the Service department or someone in it, they might show you something on their screen or something (I have done this with BMWs).

They wont just print out and give you records of someone elses ownership time though, thats on you to get from whomever owns it now.

I asked the dealer

When you say "dealer", I assume you're not talking about Tesla, but a third-party dealer. If I'm wrong then please disregard.

Just want to mention in case you're totally in the dark about current pricing... with the federal EV credit, plus state incentives in some states, plus Tesla heavily discounting their existing inventory (as opposed to "built to order" vehicles), some used vehicles are being sold for the same price as new.

Also, Tesla is currently offering $500 off with a referral link from an existing owner. If you need one, I'm happy to private message mine (existing owners get credits for referrals too).

Just want to make sure you're not overpaying for a used vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
Ah!
Apologies, I should have asked UK owners.
Over here, your 'service record/maintenance records are kept on computer. The database is manufacturer owned and run but all future owners have access to that information (there is no personal data on the records).
I have a Range Rover currently and I was allowed immediate access to the records (by JLR) from day one and I added to it as time went on. There is now comprehensive data on the history of the car for future owners to assess before they buy the vehicle.
Of course - all of this is in addition to the owners personal collection of paperwork which they amass throughout ownership of the vehicle.
On top end vehicles (as you may know), background evidence of its history adds value to that vehicle.
I am therefore somewhat surprised that Tesla don't follow this practice.
Thanks for your inputs
Z

I am wondering about this often... I had such a great experience with my BMW´s and could always obtain all the service records for a used BMW... it is unfortunate that Tesla does not provide this. They could do it so easily too, and would be a huge value add to their used car market (or maybe they are concerned it would expose too many lemons?)

I am wondering about this often... I had such a great experience with my BMW´s and could always obtain all the service records for a used BMW... it is unfortunate that Tesla does not provide this. They could do it so easily too, and would be a huge value add to their used car market (or maybe they are concerned it would expose too many lemons?)
This comment needs a bit more clarification. Service records from "who" exactly? The previous private owner of the vehicle? They definitely would have them. A BMW dealer? They would only have service records for services that were done at the dealer, so there is no guarantee that all service would have been done at a BMW dealer for a used BMW, so no guarantee that its actually "all service records".

Reactions: Gasaraki and Bestla
JJ - service records over here includes:
Main dealer maintenance and servicing and recalls.
Owner records - servicing from persons other than main dealers / spares / mods etc.
Not sure about USA but over here, servicing/ maintenance records is quite a big part of the car when you buy one.

The Tesla transition takes quite a bit of getting used to!

JJ - service records over here includes:
Main dealer maintenance and servicing and recalls.
Owner records - servicing from persons other than main dealers / spares / mods etc.
Not sure about USA but over here, servicing/ maintenance records is quite a big part of the car when you buy one.

The Tesla transition takes quite a bit of getting used to!

Its not that way in the US. There is no "National database" as you said there was where you are, and @Bestla 's stated location is Phoenix AZ, which is in the US.

This comment needs a bit more clarification. Service records from "who" exactly? The previous private owner of the vehicle? They definitely would have them. A BMW dealer? They would only have service records for services that were done at the dealer, so there is no guarantee that all service would have been done at a BMW dealer for a used BMW, so no guarantee that its actually "all service records".

Good point. When I used to purchased BMW's (now I'm all Tesla or Toyota Hybrids), I liked to buy them still under warranty so *all* the service records the dealer had, and once the car became mine, they would inform me of all the service, though I couldn't see the prior owner's information, so no GDPR concerns.

This was really great for buying a pre-owner vehicle to know if it was properly maintained or not. I'm surprised Tesla doesn't do this and just redact customer information. Would be super helpful as I am just sold my last MX P100DL in Europe and in the market for another again in the States.

Reactions: jjrandorin