Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Servicing the S (and Roadster?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like this concept, except the paranoid part of me really doesn't like the idea of the car "phoning (non-)home" to Tesla.

True life example from several weeks back: Saturday night 11.00pm my Roadster wouldn't commence charging. Sunday 6.00am I left on an off-shore tagging project so I sent an SMS to the local Tesla Sales Manager (Graham). I arrived back onshore at around 5.00pm to find messages from the Tesla Service Manager (Alberto). He had pulled my logs remotely on Sunday morning, figured out the problem, arranged for the part to be over-night delivery to my home and finally asked me to call him so that we could arrange a time for the Ranger to stop by and install it.

That's Tesla service and that's what your car "calling home" can do for you.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience to Nigel's about a year ago ... Tesla was waiting for my car (shout out to Jake, who came in on his day off), logs pulled, problem diagnosed before my arrival ... and off I went. This is what real customer service means & why I believe Tesla will be successful.

You can decline having your car communicate remotely with Tesla. But they'll still pull the logs for routine service to make sure everything is healthy (like any manufacturer of new cars). So I'm not sure what you gain by not allowing remote communication.

Currently:

Infiniti G37. Drop it off at the dealer. They hand me the keys for a G35. Just like my car only wimpier. Return it at the end of the day and get my car back.

Tesla: Ranger drives to Ottawa, services car in my garage. No charge for warranty repair. A bit expensive for annual service.

Both have their merits...

They have come to where I work to service the roadster. When they show up they just call my cell and I meet them and give them my key. When done, same thing.

Cinergi, I went to you blog to see the specifics of your maintenance problems. Living over 200 miles from the service area, how much per year would you estimate you have spent on maintenance? When they took your car away, did they leave you a loaner? What is the longest they left you without your roadster?

I had a similar experience to Nigel's about a year ago ... Tesla was waiting for my car (shout out to Jake, who came in on his day off), logs pulled, problem diagnosed before my arrival ... and off I went. This is what real customer service means & why I believe Tesla will be successful.

You can decline having your car communicate remotely with Tesla. But they'll still pull the logs for routine service to make sure everything is healthy (like any manufacturer of new cars). So I'm not sure what you gain by not allowing remote communication.

Next time your getting your car serviced ask to go behind the counter and take a look at the software Tesla uses to track the cars. It literally shows where every roadster is on a map, and all of their information. I can understand why some people do not want this information being broadcasted and stored by Tesla. I do not feel comfortable that anyone at Tesla can basically pull up my cars vin and take a look at where I was 2 years ago. That is kinda creepy IMO.

Next time your getting your car serviced ask to go behind the counter and take a look at the software Tesla uses to track the cars. It literally shows where every roadster is on a map, and all of their information. I can understand why some people do not want this information being broadcasted and stored by Tesla. I do not feel comfortable that anyone at Tesla can basically pull up my cars vin and take a look at where I was 2 years ago. That is kinda creepy IMO.

Yes, I've seen it. And again, you have full control over this - you can choose not to have your car information accessible remotely. Tesla is not infringing on your privacy. It's a choice YOU make.

(Only belaboring the point because this is the kind of thing one sensationalist journalist would pick up and then make a big deal over nothing. I realize you understand that remote access is a choice you make and not Big Brother tracking you.)

Yes, I've seen it. And again, you have full control over this - you can choose not to have your car information accessible remotely. Tesla is not infringing on your privacy. It's a choice YOU make.

(Only belaboring the point because this is the kind of thing one sensationalist journalist would pick up and then make a big deal over nothing. I realize you understand that remote access is a choice you make and not Big Brother tracking you.)

So I'm not sure what you gain by not allowing remote communication.

Was responding to this,

where did I say that they were infringing on privacy?

I was merely stating a fact that a lot of people may not feel comfortable with their locations being stored by Tesla..... That is why people would turn it off and that my friend, is what people would gain by not allowing remote communication.

Cinergi, I went to you blog to see the specifics of your maintenance problems. Living over 200 miles from the service area, how much per year would you estimate you have spent on maintenance? When they took your car away, did they leave you a loaner? What is the longest they left you without your roadster?

Most of it was early last year -- about 4 months after I received the Roadster. I was without the car for a total of 4 weeks :scared: ... the longest stretch of which was I think 7 or maybe 10 days due to holidays and getting snowed in and things of that nature. They didn't give me a loaner as I didn't ask for one because I have another car parked at my sister's that I used in the meantime.
Now that I've painted an ugly picture, I'll mention the good part. I had some LONG (and I mean 90-minute) phone calls with my customer advocate (thank you Dan!!) about everything I went through. While they don't normally do loaners, I was in a situation where things had become ridiculous and I "demanded" that if this happens again, I'd not only get a loaner, but a Roadster. That was agreed upon. I was also given a 6 month (+ some mileage) extension on my warranty and another "prize" that I'll forgo posting publicly. My VIN was well-known among the execs and my feedback about the car was making it to the right people. So I felt like I was being valuable and participating in helping Tesla make a better car -- even though it cost me a lot of frustration.
Their commitment to service has been exemplary. And the fact that most of the stuff that was failing wasn't Tesla-specific (e.g. Lotus problems, or BMW parts like the ABS controller) and that the car was built by EE's with little-to-no car manufacturing experience helps explain a lot. The Model S is built by a completely different team -- a team that includes a lot of automotive experience. So all of that is why I'm still a customer.
Hope that helps!

I was merely stating a fact that a lot of people may not feel comfortable with their locations being stored by Tesla..... That is why people would turn it off and that my friend, is what people would gain by not allowing remote communication.
My guess is these are the same people who put everything they do down on FB or Linkedin :confused:
Because the bank robbery will have to happen before I get the Tesla, I have no problem with Tesla having a record after I get it.

I can understand this. But for me it's more like having free LoJack. And I figure that my credit card records, my cell phone, my banking records, my arrest record, my internet usage, and other kinds of surveillance probably establish a lot more information about me than the car does. I guess if I was married and visited a brothel, I wouldn't want my car or my phone or my credit card or cameras to record my location. OTOH, there's a sex shop right next to the scuba shop. You could visit the former and claim you were visiting the later, as long as you left your phone in the car and didn't pay with a credit card. :biggrin:

Was responding to this,

where did I say that they were infringing on privacy?

Pretty sure I explained that by saying: