Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting both sides of AC to go on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! This is my first post. I am going on my second week with a 2021 Model Y (LR). I am really enjoying it and I love all the information on this forum.
Please forgive me for this question, but I could not find it anywhere in the manual or online. Is there a way or a setting that allows both vents to blow when I get in the car? Right now only the driver's side blows. Only when a passenger sits next to me, does that side begin to blow cold air too. I want it so both sides go on whether I'm alone or with a passenger.
I know how to manually turn on the passenger side vent, but I should not have to do this every time.
Second question: how long until I can have a personal avatar image?
Thank you!!

Hello! This is my first post. I am going on my second week with a 2021 Model Y (LR). I am really enjoying it and I love all the information on this forum.
Please forgive me for this question, but I could not find it anywhere in the manual or online. Is there a way or a setting that allows both vents to blow when I get in the car? Right now only the driver's side blows. Only when a passenger sits next to me, does that side begin to blow cold air too. I want it so both sides go on whether I'm alone or with a passenger.
I know how to manually turn on the passenger side vent, but I should not have to do this every time.
Second question: how long until I can have a personal avatar image?
Thank you!!
I think like 40ish posts for a personal avatar or time based. As far as the ac I don’t know if a work around. I just turn it on each time as the car is trying to save energy but not turning the passenger side on when the seat is vacant. Personally, I find the car to cool better when the passenger side is on.

Reactions: sentinoboca
So it appears from another post that Tesla launched a new update (in the name of more efficiency) in 2020, that shuts off the passenger vents when only the driver is in the car. It sounds like the increase of efficiency is minimal. I feel that the climate control would blow colder and higher with one single side on, versus a more calm and normal temp setting if both vents operated simultaneously. The latter would also feel more comfortable.

I have always wonder how that is more efficient, wouldn't the one vent have to work harder? You're still cooling the entire cabin, not just the space around the driver.

We have the same issue with the rear vents, we carry our Husky in the rear and have to manually turn on the rear vents to get her some air back there. I wish there was an "override" so the owner could decide how the system behaves.

For the back seats, you can put weight so you get the "no seatbelt" icon on your screen. Then long press that symbol to force the back vents open... As if you had a baby seat. That setting should be permanent
The idea is that cooling the human costs less than cooling all the air. I also often turn on the back vents manually as it feels better than just the front. I don't mind the energy, I never get close to using all my range...

Interesting, I'll try that. I'll let you know how that works.
The way it works for us:
We held the seatbelt symbol in the middle back and changed it to a child seat. If the rear doors are not opened then the rear vents do not engage. If we open the rear doors before departing (like putting a dog inside) then the rear ac vents turn on when we leave.

Reactions: GtiMart
It's typical for software user interfaces to have a separate action when you hold something instead of clicking. Did you try holding your finger on that button for a few seconds, to see if it makes it "stick" for example? Mine is a 2020 so the passenger is always on, which means I can't try it :)
I thought it did not matter what year your vehicle was since software updates occur across all similar models. Thus, you should have that new passenger detection that activates the AC vent on that side. Or am I off?

It's typical for software user interfaces to have a separate action when you hold something instead of clicking. Did you try holding your finger on that button for a few seconds, to see if it makes it "stick" for example? Mine is a 2020 so the passenger is always on, which means I can't try it :)
I tried holding down the passenger vents on the screen. Nothing. I see no way around this except leaving a heavy box on the passenger seat when I drive alone. This update makes no sense at all from an energy savings standpoint.

Reactions: MKVTDI
I tried holding down the passenger vents on the screen. Nothing. I see no way around this except leaving a heavy box on the passenger seat when I drive alone. This update makes no sense at all from an energy savings standpoint.
Is it really that big of a deal to get in the vehicle, hit the fan button, click the passenger vent, and move on with life? Seems way more convoluted to place a heavy box in the passenger seat.

Reactions: mrwug
The way it works for us:
We held the seatbelt symbol in the middle back and changed it to a child seat. If the rear doors are not opened then the rear vents do not engage. If we open the rear doors before departing (like putting a dog inside) then the rear ac vents turn on when we leave.
No worky for me. Maybe I need to rub my belly and pat my head, or is it the other way around.

Reactions: sentinoboca
Yes, it's annoying because, when the weather is in the triple digits, the driver's side only fan simply cannot cool the car. Each time I get in the car I have to hit the fan and then hit the passenger side if I don't want to be sweating. I actually thought my AC didn't work properly until someone pointed out that you could manually turn on the passenger side this way.

Yes, it's annoying because, when the weather is in the triple digits, the driver's side only fan simply cannot cool the car. Each time I get in the car I have to hit the fan and then hit the passenger side if I don't want to be sweating. I actually thought my AC didn't work properly until someone pointed out that you could manually turn on the passenger side this way.

Living in Phoenix this is not so fun either!

Reactions: iamnid