Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting max speed limit while driving

Do you want a feature to help you regard speed limits when you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just sold my Volvo V60 plug-in hybride and got a Model 3. I love Tesla’s take on the concept ‘car’. It allows for more and more features to become available over time.

One of the features I liked in the Volvo and am missing in the M3 is being able to set a max speed while driving inside city limits. It allows you to drive normally, use the brakes and accelerate, but it would simply not allow you to exceed the set limit, no matter how deep you pressed the gas pedal.

This allowed me not to worry about my heavy right foot and keep all my attention on traffic And potentially crossing children chasing balls or whatever (and not partly on preventing myself from speeding).

It could be as simple as tapping the speed limit sign in the screen.
Or fully automatic as a setting and adapt the max with changing limits on various roads.

As an option, not as a must. It would help me.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Doesn't autopilot option screen has a speed limit chime option? I never turned it on so I don't know if it only works in AP or regular driving also.
Yeah but it is only a visual, or audible warning.

It does not cap the vehicle speed.

On BMW the control of it mirrors cruise control - meaning it is easy to toggle and control, just like CC, without having to configure within a menu.

It would be especially handy in a Tesla where acceleration is too quiet and stealthy. You can easily exceed speed limits without noticing it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
you are in the usa where speeding has a different meaning. in Aus its supereasy to get a ticket when you i.e. drive 32 or 33 in a 30 zone.
In CA if your not going 5-10 over the posted limit your getting passed like your a 90 year old grandma with her walker. It also usually doesn't matter what lane you are in either. I do love Australia though, I was lucky enough to spend some time in Perth and Hobart several different times while I was in the Navy. Back when i was a ICE gear head I was always jealous of the cars you guys had down there. Ford and Holden always had great models that we could not get in the US.

In CA if your not going 5-10 over the posted limit your getting passed like your a 90 year old grandma with her walker. It also usually doesn't matter what lane you are in either. I do love Australia though, I was lucky enough to spend some time in Perth and Hobart several different times while I was in the Navy.

look, im from europe and we all know that the australian demerit system and speed limits are completely flawed but we gotta work with what we have. a speed limiter would be great.
Tbh I see it as a pay to use tax anyway. Driving here is much cheaper than in Europe.

Yep, phone app -- It turns on chill mode, shows you on the car screen when you're approaching the limit and alerts on the phone if the limit is approached.
Ah okay. What would be useful is to set and configure it on the fly. For when you don't have predetermined limit. When you drive on rural highways and it passes through frequent 50 or 70kmh zones.

If roads are empty, cruise is fine.

If there are stop signs, turnabouts, light traffic, etc, where you need to manually accelerate and decelerate, having a cap is nice

Yeah but it is only a visual, or audible warning.

It does not cap the vehicle speed.

Good.
I can think of a dozen+ scenarios where being unable to accelerate out of an unsafe traffic situation would be undesirable and perilous.

On BMW the control of it mirrors cruise control - meaning it is easy to toggle and control, just like CC, without having to configure within a menu.

German automakers had toyed with the idea of "max speed" setting, but all have abandoned it, or disable it for the North American market.
It's just dumb.

Too bad Volvo, aka Geely, still has it.

It would be especially handy in a Tesla where acceleration is too quiet and stealthy. You can easily exceed speed limits without noticing it.

Take responsibility for your own action, and don't blame the car for what your right foot is doing!

a

Reactions: Ryephile and Sherlo
Good.
I can think of a dozen+ scenarios where being unable to accelerate out of an unsafe traffic situation would be undesirable and perilous.

German automakers had toyed with the idea of "max speed" setting, but all have abandoned it, or disable it for the North American market.
It's just dumb.

Too bad Volvo, aka Geely, still has it.

Take responsibility for your own action, and don't blame the car for what your right foot is doing!

a

My dads BMW 5 series has it. It's a LIM labeled button which is on the cruise control and works great to avoid pesky speed tickets.
It wouldn't be very useful in the USA I must admit.

Here's what it looks like in case anyone is curious.

9LUiJ5n.jpg

cimpkxO.png