Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting Phone key priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently not. That option would help, as would automatic priority for the phone key in the driver's seat or next to the driver's door.

The car seems to randomly pick between nearby phone keys.

You can turn off the other phones as a keys, but then your family can't even get into the car without using a card key.

(FYI, the audio priority bluetooth option is a per-profile setting. That's not obvious.)

I wish this was a thing, ever since my Mrs phone got set up my knees are crushed every time she is in the car as it detects her phone key instead of mine!!

I think the car picks the phone key that connects first.

The phone key can select a driver profile.

The driver profile can have a priority Bluetooth device for audio streaming and phone calls.

So the profile selects the "priority Bluetooth device", not the reverse. The UI is unclear on this but you can test it.

Reactions: khew1988
Sorry. Have you tried selecting your profile prior to putting foot on brake? Also, where is Easy Entry setting?

Easy entry setting I believe is active on both of our profiles. I get that I can override it by selecting my profile before pressing the brake but this goes against the “minimal touch to get going” ethos.

I guess I just hoped the priority device would be across the board rather than just for streaming 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is only for audio streaming/phone. My device is priority device and I still get my knees crushed every time I get in and the other half is there.

Alas, this is an often-reported problem.

Steps to help (in case you haven't tried them all):
  • Configure your phone OS to manage the Tesla app's battery usage as "Unrestricted" (not "Battery Optimization") on Android so the phone won't delay connecting to the car. On iPhone, the relevant setting is roughly Location - Always On, Bluetooth - On, or Background App Refresh - On.
  • Be sure the car still has your phone key linked to your driver profile. Installing a car software update can drop some settings.
  • Be sure your phone's Tesla app is still logged in. Installing an app software update sometimes logs out.
  • Be sure you didn't leave a tablet in the car logged into the Tesla app with Bluetooth on.
  • Set the driver profile(s) to use Easy Entry, and set Easy Entry to not crush your knees.
  • If the car does start towards crushing your knees, touching any seat adjustment button will stop it.
  • Consider not linking infrequent drivers' keys to a profile.

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs and jdcollins5