Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setup of Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an electrician connect a new Tesla Wall connector Gen 3. He used a 60amp with appropriate code wiring so I could use the connector @ full 48amp. In my current situation, retired only driving 50-75 miles a week I have plenty of time to charge my new Model S Performance.

My question is : is it better for my battery to charge my Tesla at lower amp say 30amp breaker than at 60 amp for the battery.

Sorry if this has been covered before I search and did not see it anywhere. But I don't see any point to charge to 90% fast if it better for battery to charge slower but longer. The 60 amp is always there if I need it.

Thank you for any thoughts or advise.

M

My question is : is it better for my battery to charge my Tesla at lower amp say 30amp breaker than at 60 amp for the battery.

For a battery pack capable of charging at Supercharger speeds, anything in the 15A-100A is trickle charging, comparatively speaking. I would just set it to the 48A and then I wouldn't worry about it.
Agree.
To explain with numbers a bit: You are talking about whether to use 11 kilowatts or reduce to 7 kilowatts at home. Since the car is set up to handle 100+ kilowatts easily, the battery system will not care at all about that minor difference at home.

Thank for the replies. I notice in the users manual they recommend different amps for different lengths of time for power sharing. So I am wondering if charging at a certain max amps is more efficient or better for the battery. Say I set my connector to 40 amp even if I can set at 60amp is it better for the battery or more efficient use of home A/C power.

M

I notice in the users manual they recommend different amps for different lengths of time for power sharing.
o_O I've never heard of that. What page says this that you're talking about?
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

Oooh, I think I see what you are referring to. Is it this part with the table of how long people park on page 25?

"Expected Park Time (hours) Examples Recommended Amperage per wall
Connector at 100% Utilization
6+ (long term) Long term parking, overnight
parking
12+ amps
3-5 (medium term) Workplace, hospitality 24+ amps
1-2 (short term) Shopping and dining 32+ amps"

So I am wondering if charging at a certain max amps is more efficient or better for the battery. Say I set my connector to 40 amp even if I can set at 60amp is it better for the battery or more efficient use of home A/C power.
No, that's nothing to do with anything being "better" or "worse" for anything. That is just giving the property owner some general ideas of how big a total circuit size they should have based on how many wall connectors they will have in simultaneous use, based on how long cars will be using them at a time to have effective charging speed. So that's just guidelines for effective and practical use of the whole installation.