Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF bay area to Tahoe without stopping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car will be more efficient at higher altitudes due to less dense air, lower temperatures notwithstanding. The battery shouldn't be cold towards the end of that trip with all the climbing. The car is actually 2 tons or more with passengers. Figure 1.5 kwh per 1000 ft for all the climbs and about 1.0 kwh per 1000 ft regen on the descents. EV tripplanner lists about 16,000 ft. for the climbs and about 10,000 ft for descents on that route. 16 x 1.5 = 24 kwhs and 10 x 1.0 = 10 kwhs so net is 14 kwhs extra or about 56 miles so add that to your 176. A LR RWD should make it easily, AWD a little tighter.

I tend to get similar consumption, ~560 Wh/mi with my X, from Rocklin to Truckee regardless the time of the year. I attribute it to higher speed during the summer time and slower in winter; speed kills!

Ugh seemingly so close...

If it were a reverse trip (Tahoe to East Bay) then I would say it's probable. You know, going mostly downhill. If ABRP says you need a quick stop along the way to guarantee a 10% surplus, I'd wouldn't attempt the drive without a stop somewhere.

LR RWD here. I do this drive regularly to our place in Truckee and going there requires a short stop (15 min) and no stop on the way back. In fact, I typically leave Truckee with about 285-290 mi charge and get back home to San Jose with around 100 mi left.

One of these weekends on a good Spring day when I don't need to heat or cool excessively, I'm going to try and do the trip there without charging. Keep it at 65 and see where I'm at when I get to the last charge opportunity in Rocklin. Before that I'll do a trial run with more battery and see what my range says when at Rocklin and then when I get to Truckee.

I'm planning to do San Francisco to Truckee Supercharger in July. I have an AWD LR Model 3.

The Tesla Nav says I can do it without stops if I stick at 65mph or below (this is with battery charged at 85%).

Anyone tried this? I think I will probably just stop for 15 minutes at a supercharger and get a coffee in Sacramento to be safe, but I kind of want to try it. .

I'm planning to do San Francisco to Truckee Supercharger in July. I have an AWD LR Model 3.

The Tesla Nav says I can do it without stops if I stick at 65mph or below (this is with battery charged at 85%).

Anyone tried this? I think I will probably just stop for 15 minutes at a supercharger and get a coffee in Sacramento to be safe, but I kind of want to try it. .
With weather changing all the time, I would try and do a fill up before heading up the hills or prior to sacramento. but, I know people who have made it to the Truckee SC ni one shot. RWD though, but still

i wish there was a way to calculate battery drain in cold climate in a better route planner; if i want make a day ski trip to tahoe from the bay, do i lose energy while parking? im sure i'll have reduce rates on the way back starting from a cold battery.

The uphill climb up the mountain kills your battery much faster than you or the system thinks. I drive a model S and always charge on the way up. You can readily make it the way back as the regenerative braking going downhill keeps the battery fed.

Quick roule of thumb, every 1000' of climbing uses another 10 miles of range. From Rocklin to Truckee is about 75 miles and that will take about 150 miles of range to make it up the pass. I usually charge to 190 for a good buffer. As usual YMMV

I did it from Burlingame to Northstar every weekend last season with Tesla S100D with snow tires (official rating is around 306 miles). It is possible to do a non-stop trip uphill, but very risky. If you ever end up stopped between Colfax and Truckee due to weather conditions or a truck blocking the way or electric lines falling (all happened to me), then the cabin heating and battery heater fighting the freezing temperatures will “eat” a lot of your miles. I had to go back to Rocklin several times. Some, we had to wait long lines at Tesla Rocklin as all Tesla’s on the road would have the same issues. Very very stressing experience. This year, I sold the Tesla S and got back to a gasoline car (Audi Q7). No more stress!

I did it from Burlingame to Northstar every weekend last season with Tesla S100D with snow tires (official rating is around 306 miles). It is possible to do a non-stop trip uphill, but very risky. If you ever end up stopped between Colfax and Truckee due to weather conditions or a truck blocking the way or electric lines falling (all happened to me), then the cabin heating and battery heater fighting the freezing temperatures will “eat” a lot of your miles. I had to go back to Rocklin several times. Some, we had to wait long lines at Tesla Rocklin as all Tesla’s on the road would have the same issues. Very very stressing experience. This year, I sold the Tesla S and got back to a gasoline car (Audi Q7). No more stress!
I don't get this. We have been doing the trip to Truckee from the bay area for years. It just takes a 15mn stop on the way to make it. I don't think we've ever waited either. Between Roseville, Rocklin and Loomis, that's like 40 stations, with more coming online shortly in Auburn. We usually stop longer to finish our dinner.

Reactions: ucmndd
I've done the trip San Francisco - Truckee more than 30 times. With the Model 3 performance with all 18" season tires I would make it to Truckee without stopping with about 5-10% of battery left and driving 5mph above the speed limit during the climb. If weather if expected, you definitely must stop in Rocklin. Once we got stranded more than an hour in a snow storm but with 3 people in the car, we barely needed heat. So I lost about 1% of battery just to keep the car on without HVAC.

For the curious, I now own a Taycan 4s and I'm also able to do the trip without stopping and arrived with about 10% of battery left.

I've done the trip San Francisco - Truckee more than 30 times. With the Model 3 performance with all 18" season tires I would make it to Truckee without stopping with about 5-10% of battery left and driving 5mph above the speed limit during the climb. If weather if expected, you definitely must stop in Rocklin. Once we got stranded more than an hour in a snow storm but with 3 people in the car, we barely needed heat. So I lost about 1% of battery just to keep the car on without HVAC.

For the curious, I now own a Taycan 4s and I'm also able to do the trip without stopping and arrived with about 10% of battery left.
While a non-stop is doable, I would recommend making a pit-stop halfway at the Loomis Supercharger
which is very easy to access and is the only 250 kW SC available, beside the Davis one.

I prefer having a full battery when I need power to go up the hill,
and also you never know how the traffic will be or if the Truckee Supercharger will be available.

Last December, the Interstate 80 was closed, and I had to make a big detour up north using Highway 49,
which added about 70 miles of curvy road and almost two hours of driving.

I am looking now at the future Auburn SC wich migt be a V4 new version?

Last edited:
While a non-stop is doable, I would recommend making a pit-stop halfway at the Loomis Supercharger
which is very easy to access and is the only 250 kW SC available, beside the Davis one.

I prefer having a full battery when I need power to go up the hill,
and also you never know how the traffic will be or if the Truckee Supercharger will be available.

Last December, the Interstate 80 was closed, and I had to make a big detour up north using Highway 49,
which added about 70 miles of curvy road and almost two hours of driving.

I am looking now at the future Auburn SC wich migt be a V4 new version?

That would be 675A. That's a lot of heat to dissipate.