Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP renewed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the wording of the SGIP 2019 handbook, section 2.3.6

2.3.6 Wait List and Program Closure
Once funds have been fully allocated in the final incentive step of a Program Administrator’s given budget, applications will be placed on a wait list to be funded as incentive funds become available throughout the remainder of the program. When there is enough attrition to fund wait-listed projects, wait listed projects will be assigned an incentive rate in the last step and reviewed in the order in which they were submitted. In the event that there are available funds and all wait-listed projects have been allocated funding, new applications will be subject to normal program procedures specified in Section 2.1. Program Administrators may continue accepting new applications until all incentive funds have been fully paid or until December 31, 2020, whichever comes first.
Does this mean everyone on Step 5 (the final step) wait-list will be funded without going through the lottery next year when the SB700 money becomes available; and after all the wait-list projects have been funded, they'll go back to the lottery system (Section 2.1)?

If this is true, finding someone who will do an 2PW install for about $22k will end up paying under $10k for two ($22k - $6.6 ITC - $5,800 SGIP) .

That would be assuming that they ever get through the waitlist, right? That "all waitlisted projects have been funded" thing probably is never happening.

That would be assuming that they ever get through the waitlist, right? That "all waitlisted projects have been funded" thing probably is never happening.

Perhaps. As of the 10/17 SGIP spreadsheet, there're 1036 projects on the wait-list across all the utilities providers, total incentive is about $3 million. If SB700 funds $166mil per year, shouldn't they be funded unless the new money comes with a different set of requirements?

Looking at the wording of the SGIP 2019 handbook, section 2.3.6

2.3.6 Wait List and Program Closure
Once funds have been fully allocated in the final incentive step of a Program Administrator’s given budget, applications will be placed on a wait list to be funded as incentive funds become available throughout the remainder of the program. When there is enough attrition to fund wait-listed projects, wait listed projects will be assigned an incentive rate in the last step and reviewed in the order in which they were submitted. In the event that there are available funds and all wait-listed projects have been allocated funding, new applications will be subject to normal program procedures specified in Section 2.1. Program Administrators may continue accepting new applications until all incentive funds have been fully paid or until December 31, 2020, whichever comes first.
Does this mean everyone on Step 5 (the final step) wait-list will be funded without going through the lottery next year when the SB700 money becomes available; and after all the wait-list projects have been funded, they'll go back to the lottery system (Section 2.1)?

If this is true, finding someone who will do an 2PW install for about $22k will end up paying under $10k for two ($22k - $6.6 ITC - $5,800 SGIP) .
You can only take the ITC on your net cost after any applicable rebates. It could get sticky if you don't get the SGIP funds by the time you file your taxes. If you took the credit assuming you would not get the rebate and later did get it, you should file an amended return and return the excess credit.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricRed
Perhaps. As of the 10/17 SGIP spreadsheet, there're 1036 projects on the wait-list across all the utilities providers, total incentive is about $3 million. If SB700 funds $166mil per year, shouldn't they be funded unless the new money comes with a different set of requirements?

If that was the case, then there would not be people like @abasile in this thread, who installed over a year ago and have not seen any money. I dont think anyone should be counting that SGIP money in their "plans on ROI". If they end up getting it, its a bonus, but it shouldnt be budgeted in, IMO.

Tesla installed our Powerwalls in March 2018 and I don't expect we'll receive anything from SGIP, unless perhaps the rules change to allow rebates for systems installed more than one year prior. Even then, I wouldn't count on Tesla to go back and apply on behalf of "old" customers. I'm glad we already have the Powerwalls installed, though, given the possible changes in building codes and permitting.

Yeah, I am in the same boat as you. As far as I know Tesla never submitted me to the program at all as step 5 didn’t open until after I was 1 year from install. It was unfortunate, but we are glad we have the Powerwalls today, especially with the power outages that may be the new norm.

Tesla installed our Powerwalls in March 2018 and I don't expect we'll receive anything from SGIP, unless perhaps the rules change to allow rebates for systems installed more than one year prior. Even then, I wouldn't count on Tesla to go back and apply on behalf of "old" customers. I'm glad we already have the Powerwalls installed, though, given the possible changes in building codes and permitting.
Tesla submitted mine about a year and a half after install. I didn't have to prompt them to do anything. I got into Step 4 earlier this year and installed Sept 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
An update: Looks like SGIP will be back soon. Per the CPUC proposed decision on December 11, 2019:

"As of December 2019, all SGIP PAs are in Step 5 for residential storage incentives but insufficient funding remains in this step, so over 1,380 projects have been waitlisted as of December 2019"

Seven Percent ($56,978,670) will be allocated to residential storage incentives smaller than or equal to 10 kilowatt hours for 2020-2024. Two new steps are created and incentive funds for approximately 30,000 new residential systems across Step 6 and Step 7.

Capture-SGIP.JPG

Edit: And today, the CPUC approved the proposal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
Do we know if you participated in a previous Step, are you eligible for one of these new Steps?

Example: I participated in Step 2 for Large Energy Storage (3 powerwalls). I would like to add a 4th, which would be under Step 6/7 Small Residential.

An update: Looks like SGIP will be back soon. Per the CPUC proposed decision on December 11, 2019:

"As of December 2019, all SGIP PAs are in Step 5 for residential storage incentives but insufficient funding remains in this step, so over 1,380 projects have been waitlisted as of December 2019"

Seven Percent ($56,978,670) will be allocated to residential storage incentives smaller than or equal to 10 kilowatt hours for 2020-2024. Two new steps are created and incentive funds for approximately 30,000 new residential systems across Step 6 and Step 7.

View attachment 501676

Edit: And today, the CPUC approved the proposal.

I know I get confused on the way energy measurements are discussed... but isnt a single powerwall a 13.5 kWh storage device?

Do we know if you participated in a previous Step, are you eligible for one of these new Steps?

Example: I participated in Step 2 for Large Energy Storage (3 powerwalls). I would like to add a 4th, which would be under Step 6/7 Small Residential.

I have not read the order thoroughly, though I believe it may be possible to qualify. We'll see how the utilities execute the order.

I know I get confused on the way energy measurements are discussed... but isnt a single powerwall a 13.5 kWh storage device?

To clarify, residential SGIP is limited to a total continuous power output of up to 10 kW. Powerwall 2 has a power output of 5 kW each, so two Powerwall 2 can qualify. This excluded peak power output.

The rebate amount is based on the the capacity of the battery. 100% for the two hours of discharge, and 50% there after. More specifically per the SGIP manual:

Capture-Manual.JPG

Thus for Powerwall 2, on Step 6 ($0.20/Wh) would qualify for $2,320.00 rebate each (100% x $0.20/Wh x 10,000 Wh + 50% x $0.20/Wh x 3,200 Wh x 50%).

Thanks for the explanation (and math!) I wonder if those of us who just got installed will be able to apply for this under the new step(s).. I just got installed Jan 6th, installed by tesla. The way I have seen this works is, tesla is the developer (and was my installer), so I would need their assistance to apply for this? I certainly was not planning on it, but absolutely would love to get 2320 more per powerwall for the 2 I just installed.

Spoke with our Tesla Energy rep this afternoon and asked about this renewal. He said they had a backlog of apps and it was filled for 2020 within...can’t recall if he said days or hours...but yeah it’s already gone. Maybe some on here who had apps in will get some of the money though.

Spoke with our Tesla Energy rep this afternoon and asked about this renewal. He said they had a backlog of apps and it was filled for 2020 within...can’t recall if he said days or hours...but yeah it’s already gone. Maybe some on here who had apps in will get some of the money though.

My rep told me that, previously when steps would open, they would come in early and start submitting trying to get them for their customers... kind of like trying to buy comic-con tickets if you have never been.

He said it was always gone within a day or two.

A quick SGIP update.

The allocated funds for Step 5 did increase (from 10/29/2019( per the below breakdown and screen capture. Interesting to see SCE territory have $1.41 M of available funds.
  • CSE: $1.56 M --> $6.41 M
  • SCE: $2.33 M --> $7.72 M
  • SCG: $0.42 M --> $1.11 M
  • PG&E: $3.12 M --> $8.39 M
Capture.JPG

Per the 04/03/2020 announcement, no new SGIP applications til May 1, 2020. I am not clear on the status of the opening of Step 6 of the small residential storage

The opening of the Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) Non-Residential Equity Resiliency Budget has been postponed until May 1, 2020 as directed by the CPUC.

Additionally, all open SGIP Equity and Equity Resiliency Budgets will be paused and no new applications accepted until May 1, 2020. This includes Residential and Non-Residential Equity Budgets as well as the Residential Equity Resiliency Budget.

Updated program information will be made available upon CPUC disposition of the Advice Letter proposing modifications to the SGIP Handbook implementing changes adopted in Decision (D.) 19-09-027.​

Note, I am interested in the SGIP for heat pump water heaters (HPWH). There is $40.7 M for "general market" and $4 M for equity customers with no developer caps! Unfortunately, it looks like it will not be implemented till 2021. As 90% of residents use gas, there is a potential for HPWH to help the grid by absorbing solar production. It would be interesting to see how this would work with a Powerwall.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

A quick SGIP update.

The allocated funds for Step 5 did increase (from 10/29/2019( per the below breakdown and screen capture. Interesting to see SCE territory have $1.41 M of available funds.
  • CSE: $1.56 M --> $6.41 M
  • SCE: $2.33 M --> $7.72 M
  • SCG: $0.42 M --> $1.11 M
  • PG&E: $3.12 M --> $8.39 M
View attachment 529596

Per the 04/03/2020 announcement, no new SGIP applications til May 1, 2020. I am not clear on the status of the opening of Step 6 of the small residential storage

The opening of the Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) Non-Residential Equity Resiliency Budget has been postponed until May 1, 2020 as directed by the CPUC.

Additionally, all open SGIP Equity and Equity Resiliency Budgets will be paused and no new applications accepted until May 1, 2020. This includes Residential and Non-Residential Equity Budgets as well as the Residential Equity Resiliency Budget.

Updated program information will be made available upon CPUC disposition of the Advice Letter proposing modifications to the SGIP Handbook implementing changes adopted in Decision (D.) 19-09-027.​

Note, I am interested in the SGIP for heat pump water heaters (HPWH). There is $40.7 M for "general market" and $4 M for equity customers with no developer caps! Unfortunately, it looks like it will not be implemented till 2021. As 90% of residents use gas, there is a potential for HPWH to help the grid by absorbing solar production. It would be interesting to see how this would work with a Powerwall.

View attachment 529600

View attachment 529601
That's interesting! I had been thinking of that already but that's good news if SGIP has some money allocated for it. I found this article as well:

California Moves to Tackle Another Big Emissions Source: Fossil Fuel Use in Buildings

• Informative
Reactions: abasile