Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Share V5 ref number when selling car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a potential buyer interested for my M3, but they are asking for a full copy of the V5 (including the reference number) to verify the car does belong to me.

The DVLA website allows change of owner with this reference number, and suggests never sharing it. However the buyer is a reasonable authentic looking dealer and say they need it.

My gut says not to share (and lose the buyer) but I’m not sure if I’m being overly cautious.

Looking online some are saying never to share, some are saying it’s totally safe.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The DVLA states they check the V5C when they see the vehicle...

They should only need the Reg number, make model and MOT test number (if it's had one) to do any checks before seeing it..

So I'd say don't send over a copy of your v5c until they are looking at the vehicle in person

Reactions: Cardo
I have a potential buyer interested for my M3, but they are asking for a full copy of the V5 (including the reference number) to verify the car does belong to me.

The DVLA website allows change of owner with this reference number, and suggests never sharing it. However the buyer is a reasonable authentic looking dealer and say they need it.

My gut says not to share (and lose the buyer) but I’m not sure if I’m being overly cautious.

Looking online some are saying never to share, some are saying it’s totally safe.

Thoughts?

Thanks
The V5C only shows the registered keeper who is not necessarily the owner. The V5 certificate specifically states ‘THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP’. So I would definitely not give a copy of the V5C because it doesn’t actually provide the information that the potential buyer is looking for. If you have a receipt from when you bought the car this would be the document to show?

Reactions: Cardo

Thoughts?

Thanks
A successful scammer would come off as authentic too, they are either buying it or they aren't, no need to mess around with strange requests that could put yourself at risk

Seller beware. Do not share the V5 reference. Next you know they back out of the deal knowing your address. Next they register the car in their name, then email Tesla telling them they’ve bought the car using the new V5 as proof, who transfer it to their account. Day or two later, car disappears…

Reactions: speedyranger74