Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Shelf Butler by Norm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Norm, now that I just received delivery of my own Model S, I am now in the market for this innovative product. While watching this video, I wondered why you put the disconnect clip so far down the cord near the shelf, instead of placing the clip much higher, near where it connects to the hatch? It seems to me that with its current location, a lot of cord is left dangling and getting in the way if the shelf has been removed to make more room.
The disconnect is located so the cord with fall to the inside when closing. I had connecter closer to the top and the cord would get caught in the trunk seal when closing. I tried several locations for the connector, and the current worked out to be the best.

Thanks / Norm

• Informative
Reactions: Joshnickell
The disconnect is located so the cord with fall to the inside when closing. I had connecter closer to the top and the cord would get caught in the trunk seal when closing. I tried several locations for the connector, and the current worked out to be the best.

Thanks / Norm

One option would be to include a tiny hook/clip that goes further up the hatch to clip in the cord when not connected to the shelf. Ordering mine now, so feel free to test a clip with my kit :)

This is important warning if you have Shelf Butler by Norm installed and you are going to leave the car for service at the Tesla's service center!!!

Before you leave your car for service DISCONNECT the shelf butler quick connect or you are risking some one to try to close the parcel shelf by hand and to brake the hook part like happened to me. They broke mine and didn't even mentioned it to me.

Does it have a safety release, in case a passenger puts something on the rear shelf and it therefore cannot be raised? My daughter sometimes sticks clothing or once a pillow on the back shelf, if the hatch was to try to pull it open but couldn't, what would happen? Could the line snap, would the bracket break, or maybe the nylon screw would break to save the shelf from ripping a hole?

Does it have a safety release,

Yes it does

In fact what happens to me frequently is I stand my two year old son up in the trunk while I grab a few things so he isn’t running around in a parking lot and he grabs it and pulls on it and it breaks away just fine. This has happened multiple times with no damage to the shelf, car or Norms gadget

Last edited:
Reactions: whitex
Yes it does

In fact what happens to me frequently is I stand my two year old son up in the trunk while I grab a few things so he isn’t running around in a parking lot and he grabs it and pulls on it and it breaks away just fine. This has happened multiple times with no damage to the shelf, car or Norms gadget

Well for what it is worth I have had 2 of the hooks break on me now, the 1st one Norm replaced for me at no cost but now that it has broken again I have not reached out to him yet. I may wait till I get my 2nd tesla and will order another, then ask for a replacement hook for the 1st one I had to be sent along with it. The break away does not always work and the hook is a bit brittle but it lasted a bit over a year I think the 2nd time. It is worth replacing.

Last edited:
Anyone know if Norm is still active? I just sent him an email and it appears to have bounced back. Here it is in case he comes back here.

Norm,

Just saw Daerik's video and the product looks very cool. I did have some questions though:

1. Is there a way to get the shelf butler without the Tesla logo on the clips?
  2. Is removing the upper clip as easy as putting it in?
  3. Would it be best to have a shelf butler on both sides just so one corner/clip isn't bearing the entire shelf's weight?
Thanks.

Anyone know if Norm is still active? I just sent him an email and it appears to have bounced back. Here it is in case he comes back here.

Norm,

Just saw Daerik's video and the product looks very cool. I did have some questions though:

3. Would it be best to have a shelf butler on both sides just so one corner/clip isn't bearing the entire shelf's weight?
Thanks.
Yes, he was on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I had contacted him for a replacement (that I broke) and he replied back to me.

Norm,

Thanks.
Make sure you are useing .net in the email address, not .com. The first post in this thread has it wrong.
I have had his shelf butler for quite a while. Removing the upper clip is easy. I use just one and see no need for one on the other side.

• Helpful
Reactions: Takumi
It turns out since my original order for the shelf butler the quick release connectors were completely redesigned and a new one would not work with an old one, I found this out as Norm was nice enough to send me a replacement clip along with the top half of the string and the new connector half. I let him know I would like the updated bottom half for the connector and he is sending that out to me as well. Hopefully this will solve my issue of the quick disconnect not disconnecting if under force and results in the top clip snapping. He is a nice guy and it has been good of him to send me replacements, I will definitely be looking to him first to buy other accessories for the 2nd tesla.