Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, this looks like manipulation: a bear attack to scare weak longs and short-term option holders. There is absolutely no explanation for an abrupt move down while the NASDAQ is up and climbing.

No manipulation with this type of volume. If it was premarket light volume then it's possible to have someone try to manipulate the price on light volume in premarket or after hours, but today's premarket was heavy volume for pre-market sessions bc of the news and unlikely that there was manipulation during today's premarket....looks like at the open there is just some big institutional holder unloading shares in my opinion, more of what happened on Friday. I just hope it doesn't happen all day again by way of another large VWAP order by this institutional seller,if so then what we see in these first 15 minutes is just the beginning of a long downtrend all day long

Evercore reiterates its "buy" recommendation w/ PT $320.
Just to add here - when the first announcement came out about the talks between TM and BMW in June this year I knew the guys in Munich didn't visit California just because of the sun ! :cool: I predict a very successful coopeartion between California and Bavaria...."a beginning of a wonderful friendship" !

Attachments

• TSLA ANR.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 605
Evercore reiterates its "buy" recommendation w/ PT $320.
Just to add here - when the first announcement came out about the talks between TM and BMW in June this year I knew the guys in Munich didn't visit California just because of the sun ! :cool: I predict a very successful coopeartion between California and Bavaria...."a beginning of a wonderful friendship" !

Thanks Derek, always enjoy your updates.

apparently, according to Latest Undisclosed SEC Investigations & News | Probes Reporter, LLC Tesla may have an undisclosed SEC Probe
this rumor/fact could be what's adding fuel to the fire to short/sell this morning.

i don't pay for this site so I don't have further info but if anyone has further info on this I'd be curious to know. My guess is that it's been pushed by shorts and OEM competitors for a long time and finally the SEC succumbed to do some type of checking on Tesla but that they will be cleared, I just hope the investigation doesn't take as long as the NHTSA one did

500,000 shares traded in the first 30 minutes... pretty healthy volume, but not commensurate with news of this magnitude.

Funny that BMW stock is up and Tesla stock is down... who's getting the better deal here? :mad:

I dare say Ford's stock would be up if there was news that BMW was going to start using Ford's engines.

Still, if Tesla can get their hands on some CFRP and produce a CFRP car, that would be awesome.

It seems certain that BMW will adopt Supercharging, begin to use batteries that can benefit from that high-speed charging system, collaborate on installation of more Superchargers in their geographic markets, and so on. With a player as large as BMW on board, the Supercharging format seems all set to become a standard.

This sort of collaboration is something that cannot have been priced into TSLA already. We have all known about the Model X, Model 3, Gigafactory etc. etc. and have had much opportunity to build those successes into the stock price. But the adoption of Tesla's standards by other manufacturers is something you can't know about until those other manufacturers confirm it. Hopefully by the end of 2014 we'll know what BMW's intentions are.

GER reiterates its PT of $385

Global Equities analyst Trip Chowdhry reiterated an Overweight rating and $385 price target on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) after attending the Industry Internet, IoT (Internet-of-Things) and Machine Learning Conference.Chowdhry's takeaways for Tesla were as follows:

• Tesla is probably the Only manufacturing company with an incredible negative working capital (A/C Receivables are less than A/C Payable every quarter). This is extremely positive for the stock
  • Tesla is first a Technology company. Tesla has coined the term "Industrial Data Science"
  • Tesla has adopted Machine Learning, Data Science and M2M (Machine to Machine) Connectivity into every aspect of Tesla's product and manufacturing
  • Some of the technologies that Tesla has adopted, have yet to be adopted by other leading technology companies
  • Tesla's Autopilot, Instant Torque, Safety, Designer Looks and Driving experience, are the primary reasons Tesla's Demand is outstripping Supply
  • Tesla is growing rapidly. We are comfortable with our estimates of production of 62K to 65K auto units in FY 2015
  • Our Price Target of $385 is based on a revenue multiple of 9x our FY2015 revenue estimates of $6.2 Billion
  • Product rationalization including - Model P85D and Model 85D will increase the Average Selling Price (ASP) by 2% to 5%

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Global+Equities+Retains+Bullish+View+and+%24385+PT+on+Tesla+following+IoT+Conference/10043348

.html

Via Reddit:
Musk in Spiegel Interview: New information abridged. : teslamotors

• Gigafactory will use Cobalt from Canada, 10% of the battery total.
  • Model 3 launch in 3 years.
  • Tesla will probably build a German battery plant, in 5,6 years by his estimates.
  • Talks with BMW about cooperation on battery and charging station technology.
  • Interested in BMWs cheap carbon fibre for Teslas vehicle body.
  • Software update next Month: Cars will detect and warn before cars goes out of nearest charging station, show them the way to the nearest one.
  • Autonomous driving: 90% right now, streets in residential neighborhoods still problematic.
  • Estimates full autonomous driving in 3 years.
  • Apple interested in Car market. Apple won't buy Tesla. Can't say more about talk with Tim Cook.

And another news clipping being shared:
Is Elon Musk the Greatest CEO of the Modern Era?Don Tapscott

What is so great with carbon fiber compared to aluminum? Obviously, it is lighter, but the weight of an electric vehicle really does not impact the range that much. Especially if you take regeneration into consideration. The drag coefficient and frontal area is much more important. Anything I'm missing? I assume carbon fiber is more expensive than aluminum as well

What is so great with carbon fiber compared to aluminum? Obviously, it is lighter, but the weight of an electric vehicle really does not impact the range that much. Especially if you take regeneration into consideration. The drag coefficient and frontal area is much more important. Anything I'm missing? I assume carbon fiber is more expensive than aluminum as well

One other way to think about this is that all the news sites reference that the S is 4500+lbs. Get it lighter, so that there's one less thing for people to complain about. If they can get carbon fiber cheap enough, then I suspect people would think positively rather than it being an expensive thing.

One other way to think about this is that all the news sites reference that the S is 4500+lbs. Get it lighter, so that there's one less thing for people to complain about. If they can get carbon fiber cheap enough, then I suspect people would think positively rather than it being an expensive thing.

I think this is it but I don't speak German:
DER SPIEGEL

I found this too:
Google Translate

It's very light, while still being strong, which allows further weight savings (e.g. lighter frame, smaller battery), which helps increase efficiency. Although drag increases rapidly with speed, rolling resistance increases linearly as well, and although regen helps, driving a heavy vehicle on hills still hurts efficiency. But as well as reducing weight, CFRP can provide the same strength with thinner surfaces, which helps improve aeroynamics for given cabin dimensions.

Besides efficiency benefits, lighter cars allow better handling, so if the Model S/X is intended to evolve, moving to CFRP when possible would make sense.

It's very light, while still being strong, which allows further weight savings (e.g. lighter frame, smaller battery), which helps increase efficiency. Although drag increases rapidly with speed, rolling resistance increases linearly as well, and although regen helps, driving a heavy vehicle on hills still hurts efficiency. But as well as reducing weight, CFRP can provide the same strength with thinner surfaces, which helps improve aeroynamics for given cabin dimensions.

Besides efficiency benefits, lighter cars allow better handling, so if the Model S/X is intended to evolve, moving to CFRP when possible would make sense.

Thanks, great answer! And after all, it's not about the money, right?

Weight is always important. Lower weight makes a car better in almost every conceivable way. If weight were not important, the Model S would not be made of aluminum.

There are other benefits as well. Cool factor (this is very important, it's one of the more common comments I get about my Roadster, people noticing the CF rollbar/cabin accents then I point out that the whole body is made of it), CFRP doesn't dent, and you can use different shapes. The little eyelet design at the back corner of the i8 is there for multiple reasons - 1) it looks cool, 2) it actually helps aerodynamics, by channeling air around the car and having it come out closer to the centerline of the car you reduce the eddy behind the car which means there is less drag pulling the car back, and 3) it wasn't possible with any previous body panel manufacturing method. Because CFRP are made by injection molding rather than stamping, you can make shapes that you couldn't previously make. So CFRP would open up interesting design decisions and engineering possibilities which have been heretofore unseen.

The CFRP collaboration is very exciting to me, and I really hope, and have hoped for a long time, that Tesla would join up with BMW to do this, or would use CFRP in a future car, etc.

I've pulled the PDF from Derek's post to avoid copyright infringement. His translation is original work, however, and we will leave that up when he posts it.
Apologies for being a sore bore. IANAL*, but I THINK a translation is NOT considered original work but derivative. So LIMITED copyrights would apply.

* particularly not a US L, and especially not specialized in copyright law**

** BTW, has US endorsed the Berne convention yet, or whatever its name? (Suspect DE has!)

Status
Not open for further replies.