Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would not surprise me in the least if we dip below 220 sometime between now and Q1 ER. However, there is no way I'm selling any of my stock and risking getting left out of future increases. I have little doubt we will be over 300 a year from now with Model X coming off the line.

So, I am finally out... I couldn't stand the pressure (and with my short term sale requirement, I won't be upset because I did make about 40% on the stock since January :) ). However in this vein, I will say some of the shorts might have made some money off of these drops, which may sucker them all back into the stock next week.

I just hedged the rest of my shorter-term calls (created a risk-free delayed construct bull call spread for June 225/290 - feels good!) but am not touching my 2015/2016 LEAPS. If the stock goes up, my LEAPS will drive my portfolio up (crazy high net delta right now) and if it goes down I expect it would be a short-term correction and I will just load up on more medium-term calls and LEAPS. Too hard to predict what will happen in the next few weeks.

there's a whole new batch of super charging stations just added to the coming soon map (http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger), the map for 2014 also shows additional stations. things had grown quet on the super charging front, so this is a welcome sight. I think it's all too easy to under estimate just how huge an impact the growing map has on consumer confidence and ultimately will have/is having on sales. the gigafactory will change the mid term future, the super charging network effects owners and prospective owners in the more immediate/short term and to the extent that it's impact is understood, could give lift to TSLA.

same thing i was thinking. the extra 300 million they got in the bonds could speed the supercharger networks and of course china. that would move things up quite a bit. whenever i supercharge, there are always people stopping by and asking me about the car and the super charger. their locations are great "advertising" for the company

So, I am finally out... I couldn't stand the pressure (and with my short term sale requirement, I won't be upset because I did make about 40% on the stock since January :) ). However in this vein, I will say some of the shorts might have made some money off of these drops, which may sucker them all back into the stock next week.

Congrats on your profits, and good call on not risking your money in a volatile stock when you know that you'll need the cash shortly :)

Good old "sensible" investment advice says to never even invest in an index fund if you know you'll need the cash less than five years from now. So I think it is pretty obvious what the good, old, boring, sensible advice says about investing in TSLA with money you are planning to use soon ;)

Moderator's Note:
Some longer discussions of analyst's reports were moved to Analyst Reports/Targets . It's fine to post news flashes here about changes in PT, buy/hold/sell, but let's keep the more thoughtful pieces elsewhere.

Other posts have been moved to If Russia invades Ukraine: impact to the market and to Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread
Yes I totally agree this is not the thread for posts that are "more thoughtful". I will say buy without any explanation and hope all get something out of it.

Moderator's Note:
Some longer discussions of analyst's reports were moved to Analyst Reports/Targets . It's fine to post news flashes here about changes in PT, buy/hold/sell, but let's keep the more thoughtful pieces elsewhere.

Other posts have been moved to If Russia invades Ukraine: impact to the market and to Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

my 2 cents, it's overkill to force something so influential to short term price movements out of the short term price movement thread. I watch this thread for exactly this kind of information and the discussions that follow. perhaps I'm in the minority.

Yes I totally agree this is not the thread for posts that are "more thoughtful". I will say buy without any explanation and hope all get something out of it.

I suppose by "more thoughtful" I meant lengthy and detailed. These are great pieces, and certainly what we should have on this forum. This thread has more emphasis on daily/weekly time duration, while the analyst reports and similar analysis are longer-term. Of course they move the short-term price, so let's continue to flag when these reports hit the wires here. I'm just trying to push back against the growing trend to post everything here.

my 2 cents, it's overkill to force something so influential to short term price movements out of the short term price movement thread. I watch this thread for exactly this kind of information and the discussions that follow. perhaps I'm in the minority.

Agreed, seems like nothing belongs in this thread. What's the point of it then? Just to post the current price? We can get that from google.

I still think separating the social thread is unnecessary as well.

I feel like the two threads have been the same thing all along. The split was just a reaction to a bunch of people coming in and saying "this shouldn't be in this thread." I usually find "stop talking about that" to be anathema to discussion in general, which is why I didn't like those comments, didn't like the split, and generally think more and more splits just complicates things and makes it a lot harder to keep up.

Now, on topic, it seems we are quite down in Frankfurt this morning ($233.17 at this posting with 13.9k volume), and futures everywhere seem to be falling. I'm guessing it has to do with Russia, which I think the world is rightly worried about, but the G7 has written a strongly worded letter to Putin telling him to screw off, and it sounds like the Russians have backed down a little bit, so I'm hopeful for a peaceful conclusion

I sold a bit on Friday, but now I'm wishing I would have sold a bit more, or rather wrote some calls a little bit out in addition to the shares/options I sold. What do we all think about this?

Now, on topic, it seems we are quite down in Frankfurt this morning ($233.17 at this posting with 13.9k volume), and futures everywhere seem to be falling. I'm guessing it has to do with Russia, which I think the world is rightly worried about, but the G7 has written a strongly worded letter to Putin telling him to screw off, and it sounds like the Russians have backed down a little bit, so I'm hopeful for a peaceful conclusion

Doubt strong words will solve this. What have you taken as indicator that Russia has backed down any amount? From what I understand they control Crimea de facto and additional troops are amassed at the Russian-Ukraine border near Crimea so that does not look or sound like backing down. A good live update on news related to the crisis: Ukrainian Conflict - /r/UkrainianConflict

Doubt strong words will solve this. What have you taken as indicator that Russia has backed down any amount? From what I understand they control Crimea de facto and additional troops are amassed at the Russian-Ukraine border near Crimea so that does not look or sound like backing down. A good live update on news related to the crisis: Ukrainian Conflict - /r/UkrainianConflict

I thought I saw something on that subreddit about Ukrainian troops coming out and Russians backing off to some extent, but this is basically poorly recalled fourth hand information so I'm sure you're right.

As for plays I'm going to put in what I think will be a semi-lowball on a bear put spread and see if it happens to get filled, I guess? I'm rarely awake for market open so I tend to set my limits the night before if I'm trying to do a trade at open. It's suboptimal and a terrible idea but it's a lot better for my health, and I think for my trading account, than being stressed out all day and making dumb decisions because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.