Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
> Or you could have just waited for it to raise from 120 to 130 and not given yourself the stress. [Cwin]

Well, up at these levels 10 pts is ~$1k cash (per 100 sh). I'll take an actual $1k day rather than a virtual day when 'unrealized gains' simply slosh around in the tank.
--

The fact that Tesla is on-target to build out the factory (and that they are planning to continue building multiple other ones) means that in three years time Tesla will have purchase agreements to about 70-75% of global lithium ion battery production (factory output of cells is 35GWh, which is more than total global production now, and Tesla expects to build 50GWh packs meaning full GF production + 15GWh from global other sources meaning about three quarters of global production). Any competitor who wants to really sell EV's with bigger range and high volume needs to build a gigafactory themselves as there will not be enough supply beyond Tesla. Any month that passes now without another manufacturer planning to build a battery factory means the moat increases between Tesla and the competition.

Incredible foresight here. This is a big deal.

Who wants to laugh?

So the CEO of the company said demand in the US is still growing but for some reason an analyst at Barclays thinks its plateauing because of the competition from BMW. Yes, you heard that correctly. Here's a snippet and the link....

In a note to investors, Barclays Equity Research analyst Brian A. Johnson and his colleagues say that Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) is facing some near-term momentum challenges, particularly in the United States. According to them, the Model S is facing increased competition from Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (ETR:BMW), and they believe that demand for the electric vehicle is “plateauing.”

He also goes on the say that investors were upset Tesla didnt up their guidance. What part of "we cant sell more cars without more batteries which is why we need to build the biggerst battery factory in the world (paraphrased quote)" does he not understand.

The analysts also say the guidance provided by Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) was disappointing and puts the company’s shares in the “penalty box” in the near-term. Johnson said, “Whereas investors had grown accustomed to Tesla providing delivery guidance ahead of expectations, the trend was broken for 2Q, as deliveries were guided to 7,500 units, below our in-going estimate of ~7,800.”

I guess its good analysts like this are saying this, it gives us long term smart investors a chance to get in cheap.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/05/demand-for-tesla-motors-inc-model-s-in-the-u-s/

You were right...

...can't tell if serious or trollin'.

Talking about market/bot/media cheating you is not helpful. IF the market is rigged, then you willingly participating in a scam (with you being the victim) makes you a fool? Personal financial responsibility is a lost trait in our society.

Going forward, $200 becomes the new resistance (buyers WILL sell to break even if TSLA approaches $200 again). The next wave of victims are those that bought from $140-170 around Jan 2014. Like I said before, the morale will not improve until the knife catching stops.

For those of you that think chopping off a ZERO from TSLA stock price makes the decline more palatable, you are literally fooling yourself. There are more satisfying ways of playing with yourself :)

For those of you that feel smug about buying early, have 900% gains, and holding... you are the fuel that will keep the red candles burning.

Hubris: this community is a gigafactory of hubris. When short term trades suffer, they become long term investments. That's an amature move.

good luck all.

"Going forward, $200 becomes the new resistance (buyers WILL sell to break even if TSLA approaches $200 again). The next wave of victims are those that bought from $140-170 around Jan 2014. Like I said before, the morale will not improve until the knife catching stops."

I am sure some are amused by your style of verbiage...

There are those who will sell at 200, there are those who will sell at 265. Many sell to break even, which is the basis for the late segments of a cup-and-handle formation, which, of course, is extremely bullish, last seen in the $190-200 range. I however think that the smug posts that you speak of are NOT coming from those holding 900% gains, but those who happened to be right a few times. The same ones who were repeatedly wrong the last time that this happened, predicting a move <$100 and lower.

Let me guess, your next price target will be as random as 170, but much lower, again without any technical basis provided, in attempt to spread FUD. Unless you mean "It's gonna hurt" in some other context than to instill fear.

Objectivity would be nice - we all love bear arguments but they can be provided without being insulting. Perhaps that is not how the "pros" do it. Your broad-based accusation of hubris in this forum I find comical given it's source, much like your spelling of the word amateur.

Last edited:
Talking about market/bot/media cheating you is not helpful. IF the market is rigged, then you willingly participating in a scam (with you being the victim) makes you a fool? Personal financial responsibility is a lost trait in our society.

Going forward, $200 becomes the new resistance (buyers WILL sell to break even if TSLA approaches $200 again). The next wave of victims are those that bought from $140-170 around Jan 2014. Like I said before, the morale will not improve until the knife catching stops.

For those of you that think chopping off a ZERO from TSLA stock price makes the decline more palatable, you are literally fooling yourself. There are more satisfying ways of playing with yourself :)

For those of you that feel smug about buying early, have 900% gains, and holding... you are the fuel that will keep the red candles burning.

Hubris: this community is a gigafactory of hubris. When short term trades suffer, they become long term investments. That's an amature move.

good luck all.
. It never hurts, and in fact helps, to have opinions/views that run counter to the herd so I would appreciate your thougths on QER1; and price targets, short (before end of Q2); medium ( end of q4 2014) and long term with your reasoning on those targets. Thanks

I was legitimately asking if you were serious about $300, as you called $170. Guess you cleared that up.

What is your next PT?

the $300 comment a trolling response to someone irritated by all the "$300 by X month" comments.

my PT? I think most of the knife catchers will be hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

. It never hurts, and in fact helps, to have opinions/views that run counter to the herd so I would appreciate your thougths on QER1; and price targets, short (before end of Q2); medium ( end of q4 2014) and long term with your reasoning on those targets. Thanks

long term: Personally, everytime I have bad thoughts about TSLA as a stock, i am reminded of how much I like the Tesla car. How can such a beautiful product be a bad investment? Everybody wants one. Everybody will be able to afford one with GenIII. Everybody will be able to buy one with gigafactory pumping out batteries. Then the number-side of my brain takes over and cannot justify the CURRENT price for what you are getting: which is selling cars in TENS of THOUSANDS, a factory without a location, a CEO splitting time between 2 very demanding enterprises, and back breaking debt that will need to be repaid very shortly. You say potential, I say risk. Same thing. Heart vs. Brain. Financially, it's usually right to go with the numbers.

Short term: retest $200. The test will not pass.

QER1: good. expected. but TSLA is not priced for good; it's priced for world changer, elon-sainthood, mother earth blah blah blah... One thing though... if the question about gigafactory & panasonic were not asked, am i to understand that TSLA would not have announced the Letter of Intent news? Tesla said its no big deal... may they are right... LOI is no big deal...

So the CEO of the company said demand in the US is still growing but for some reason an analyst at Barclays thinks its plateauing because of the competition from BMW. Yes, you heard that correctly. Here's a snippet and the link....

In a note to investors, Barclays Equity Research analyst Brian A. Johnson and his colleagues say that Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) is facing some near-term momentum challenges, particularly in the United States. According to them, the Model S is facing increased competition from Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (ETR:BMW), and they believe that demand for the electric vehicle is “plateauing.”

He also goes on the say that investors were upset Tesla didnt up their guidance. What part of "we cant sell more cars without more batteries which is why we need to build the biggerst battery factory in the world (paraphrased quote)" does he not understand.

The analysts also say the guidance provided by Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) was disappointing and puts the company’s shares in the “penalty box” in the near-term. Johnson said, “Whereas investors had grown accustomed to Tesla providing delivery guidance ahead of expectations, the trend was broken for 2Q, as deliveries were guided to 7,500 units, below our in-going estimate of ~7,800.”

I guess its good analysts like this are saying this, it gives us long term smart investors a chance to get in cheap.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/05/demand-for-tesla-motors-inc-model-s-in-the-u-s/

Heh. In the words of Elon Musk, they've gotten "the object, but not the subject" right. It's not Tesla that's plateauing, it's Barclays. Also, see here.

In two previous weeks not long ago where we saw TSLA close on Friday with a price an eighth of a point below $200, I saw manipulation of the stock price in TSLA ending the week at a point ever so slightly below the critical number 200. Today with a close at $180 and change, I did not see that clear manipulation, otherwise we would have closed an eighth of a point below $180. Perhaps the manipulation will take place after hours, when it is less expensive to do so. Thoughts?

NOT selling shares is what makes the stock go down? And not buying shares is the way to keep it from going down?

Definitely the first time I've heard that one....

NOT selling shares is what makes the stock go down? And not buying shares is the way to keep it from going down?

Definitely the first time I've heard that one....

you are right. i'm wrong. keep holding. question: when do you sell? or are you planning to pass it on to your kids? like coca cola stocks?

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why tesla has been such a poor investment over the last two years.

again, what was i thinking? good luck the next 2 years.

the $300 comment a trolling response to someone irritated by all the "$300 by X month" comments.

my PT? I think most of the knife catchers will be hurt.

Thanks. I agree that $200 has become the new resistance point. That is not good for my LEAP position but I have my 'big boy' pants on and am willing to say that while I hope some of the losses can be redeemed for the J15s that I can (and will have to) live with those losses. It has been argued that this is not a 'momo' but in my opinion ( and I am not always right...see comment about LEAPs) it is the perfect example of a 'momo' at this time in TMs life cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

long term: Personally, everytime I have bad thoughts about TSLA as a stock, i am reminded of how much I like the Tesla car. How can such a beautiful product be a bad investment? Everybody wants one. Everybody will be able to afford one with GenIII. Everybody will be able to buy one with gigafactory pumping out batteries. Then the number-side of my brain takes over and cannot justify the CURRENT price for what you are getting: which is selling cars in TENS of THOUSANDS, a factory without a location, a CEO splitting time between 2 very demanding enterprises, and back breaking debt that will need to be repaid very shortly. You say potential, I say risk. Same thing. Heart vs. Brain. Financially, it's usually right to go with the numbers.

Short term: retest $200. The test will not pass.

QER1: good. expected. but TSLA is not priced for good; it's priced for world changer, elon-sainthood, mother earth blah blah blah... One thing though... if the question about gigafactory & panasonic were not asked, am i to understand that TSLA would not have announced the Letter of Intent news? Tesla said its no big deal... may they are right... LOI is no big deal...

Thanks. I agree that $200 has become the new resistance point. That is not good for my LEAP position but I have my 'big boy' pants on and am willing to say that while I hope some of the losses can be redeemed for the J15s that I can (and will have to) live with those losses. It has been argued that this is not a 'momo' but in my opinion ( and I am not always right...see comment about LEAPs) it is the perfect example of a 'momo' at this time in TMs life cycle.

I believe in this company and feel it is a good long term investment but I worry about short term, especially Q2. TM will have to execute (and they can but it will be hard) a quarter where they are beginning to spend money on Gigi 1 site development, ship and deliver RHD cars, build more Scs, develop the X all while still filling the pipeline both to east and west destinations and building/delivering enough cars to keep
a 'bottom line' that will make 'the street' happy.

Q3 and Q4 should be great as long as Panasonic can come through. I am hoping we can hold the $200 line (or thereabouts) until then.

you are right. i'm wrong. keep holding. question: when do you sell? or are you planning to pass it on to your kids? like coca cola stocks?

- - - Updated - - -

again, what was i thinking? good luck the next 2 years.

Just thought I would post a 5y KO chart, why not.

Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 9.44.16 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.