Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The oatmeal cartoon coverage hitting Valuewalk and Business insider, which are linkfarms that get instantly syndicated out to Yahoo and Google finance news tickers for TSLA, is what bumped the stock 4 bucks at noonish today, folks.

Elon at the energy conference in Fremont: "Just to supply auto demand you need 200 gigafactories"

http://www.streetinsider.com/Inside...+Meet+Auto+Industry+Needs+(SCTY)/9485003.html

Nice! Thank you very much. I really wish someone had video of the whole thing so I could watch it :) But I like the progression here in confidence level on the 30%. First it was, we are aiming for a 30% reduction. Then it was we are confident we can hit 30% maybe a little more. Now, we are confident we can get more than 30% :)

So I just sold my may 30 200 calls, and purchased some may 30 182.5 puts.

Not that I think we will actually get to 182.5, but I think don't think tomorrow or friday will be up. So i'll let it hit -1% again, sell, and grab the same may 30 200 calls when it happens.

Move has nothing to do with these events. Just a bounce off the 200-day as predicted by several here including me. Hold tight, I suspect we will revisit it.

I know not everyone believes in the technicals, but let's be honest this Anniston nonsense is ridiculous. She did not move the stock.

Yes, I agree. The 200-day is now around $180 correct? Thinking of getting a bit defensive now in case we revisit that and possibly break it. Hopefully we don't break it and just trade sideways for a little while. Was thinking of trying to sell some calls/puts to raise some cash but the premium is so low it's almost not worth it.

Oh, I also picked up some LEAPS when we were around $180 but I was a bit more aggressive than you and went for the 2016 $300's :) I guess if we visit the 200-day again I might try to do the same.

Thanks for all your insights.

Yes, I agree. The 200-day is now around $180 correct? Thinking of getting a bit defensive now in case we revisit that and possibly break it. Hopefully we don't break it and just trade sideways for a little while. Was thinking of trying to sell some calls/puts to raise some cash but the premium is so low it's almost not worth it.

What information do you have to justify a fall back to 180 in the near future?

Tesla Motors shareholders may want to send that Model S cartoon strip in The Oatmeal to their emailing lists or social media. I did. Let's keep it viral for a few more days. :wink:
Link to cartoon strip: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s

Agreed, get this thing out there. It seems to tell the story we try to tell in a way that resonates with those unfamiliar with the Model S's incredible, game-changing existence.

Oh, I also picked up some LEAPS when we were around $180 but I was a bit more aggressive than you and went for the 2016 $300's :) I guess if we visit the 200-day again I might try to do the same.

Thanks for all your insights.

If I were smarter, I'd have some insightful commentary on how the sky has not fallen Post-ER. This is definitely not reminsicent of Q3 where is dropped quite precipitously and then continued to flatline into December. We seem to be seeing some muted recovery and part of me is very optimistic, but I have no basis for the optimism beyond TSLA not currently sitting at $165.

So, I too am curious as to the reasoning behind a potential drop back to $180. Not saying I don't think it'll happen, I'm just not sure why it would/wouldn't when we're seeing some support at this level.

If I were smarter, I'd have some insightful commentary on how the sky has not fallen Post-ER. This is definitely not reminsicent of Q3 where is dropped quite precipitously and then continued to flatline into December. We seem to be seeing some muted recovery and part of me is very optimistic, but I have no basis for the optimism beyond TSLA not currently sitting at $165.

So, I too am curious as to the reasoning behind a potential drop back to $180. Not saying I don't think it'll happen, I'm just not sure why it would/wouldn't when we're seeing some support at this level.

It hasn't gone down further because there was no good reason or it to go down in the first place. And this time we don't have media hysteria constantly pushing out negative articles about a non issue - we just did for the day of earnings, with all the headlines about losses which didn't happen, etc. So people look and say hey, that stock seems to be at a low price, maybe now is a good time to buy.

On a related note, a big rig just caused a brush fi re and shut down the 5 near san onofre, expect three months of daily negative headlines and 40% drop for all companies who make big rigs.

So I just sold my may 30 200 calls, and purchased some may 30 182.5 puts.

Not that I think we will actually get to 182.5, but I think don't think tomorrow or friday will be up. So i'll let it hit -1% again, sell, and grab the same may 30 200 calls when it happens.

Good luck with your trade. I'm sitting on May 30th 220 calls, which aren't doing well. It does seem like TSLA is due for a down day soon, but I'm thinking that shorts may be starting to panic now, which could prop up the price. I know I would be disturbed if I were short. It seems to me that this was the quarter that shorts were finally going to be vindicated. However, TSLA has shown incredible resilience staying above the 200 DMA, even bucking the markets on a down day. I wonder how much of the last four days' resilience is due to short covering? I guess we won't find out until the short numbers for May 15th come out at the end of May.

Good luck with your trade. I'm sitting on May 30th 220 calls, which aren't doing well. It does seem like TSLA is due for a down day soon, but I'm thinking that shorts may be starting to panic now, which could prop up the price. I know I would be disturbed if I were short. It seems to me that this was the quarter that shorts were finally going to be vindicated. However, TSLA has shown incredible resilience staying above the 200 DMA, even bucking the markets on a down day. I wonder how much of the last four days' resilience is due to short covering? I guess we won't find out until the short numbers for May 15th come out at the end of May.

I dunno about vindication and all that. It just seems like there was a lot of downward pressure today matching the overall market, only held off thanks to some pleasant press. This makes me think that we are at the tail end of the Q1-ER buybacks. So if the pleasant press is done I think moving down 1-2% tomorrow and even friday is plausible.

I don't see how we could start retesting the 200ma, but the people who seem to think it might just say it and run. Would be really nice to get some elaboration there. I'm all game for it though since I've already got the puts.

And even if it still moves up 1-2% again tomorrow, there has been an early sell of every morning for the past 3 days. So I can still get out without losing anything I think.

Tesla Motors shareholders may want to send that Model S cartoon strip in The Oatmeal to their emailing lists or social media. I did. Let's keep it viral for a few more days. :wink:

Link to cartoon strip: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s

I don't think Curt meant you needed to post it here to get the word out :p
(I kid, I kid!) *ducks back behind a wall*

Just a data point.

I get TSLA alerts emailed to me by my e-broker, and in the past week or so I've been watching a steady stream of interesting alerts regarding the annual earnings for 2014:

May 7 Consensus Estimate raised from $1.70 to $1.77
May 8 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.77 to $1.74
May 8 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.74 to $1.70
May 12 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.70 to $1.61
May 14 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.61 to $1.21

A disturbing drop. What's going on?

Just a data point.

I get TSLA alerts emailed to me by my e-broker, and in the past week or so I've been watching a steady stream of interesting alerts regarding the annual earnings for 2014:

May 7 Consensus Estimate raised from $1.70 to $1.77
May 8 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.77 to $1.74
May 8 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.74 to $1.70
May 12 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.70 to $1.61
May 14 Consensus Estimate lowered from $1.61 to $1.21

A disturbing drop. What's going on?

What broker and who are they including in their consensus?

Status
Not open for further replies.